No announcement yet.

American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I dont really care about RPI, etc. I'm sick of playing 7 or 8 teams every year that have no aspirations other than beating WSU when we come to their gym, and then ruining our post season chances in St Louis every year.
    "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
      Two years ago Creighton probably would have been a six seed in the Valley tourney, maybe even a seven playing on Thursday, they were that bad. Last year, Creighton was a good Valley tourney from the dance.
      Thursday? Not a chance. 2015 had the 4 worst Thursday night play-in teams of all time. Creighton would have... errrrr... nevermind... not worth it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
        The counterpoint to the "weak MVC makes dancing easier" argument is last year. Fred's injury early nearly kept a really good Shocker team from dancing because the Selection Committee is too stupid to give credit for 30+ pt wins night after night. The Shox had almost zero opportunity to redeem themselves from their November woes even though they played excellent basketball in January and February.

Imagine last year's team in the AAC. After losing some games in non-con, they would have competed for an AAC regular season title. The excellent play in January and February would have actually been rewarded. Instead of the committee ignoring 30+ pt beatdowns of bad MVC teams, they would have been impressed by some quality wins in conference. Even with the inevitable 2-3 extra losses due to the tougher SOS, I bet WSU gets an 8-9 seed rather than playing in as an 11.

#JamarSaysPositiveThingsAboutTheShox
        I know we disagree on this one....

Last year's team would have been exposed repeatedly in a better conference. We had the number one defense, but we had an awful offense.
        More athletic/talented teams would have figured out how to break down our defense and we would have been out of the at large picture in the Big East or AAC. Seton Hall basically dominated WSU for thirty minutes last year and I am pretty sure they were on he weaker side of the BE.

WSU should get in the tournament nine out of ten years in the current Valley. I couldn't say the same thing about the AAC or BE.

With that said - sign me up for a new conference. This is about entertainment over a 30 game season.

Comment

Thursday? Not a chance. 2015 had the 4 worst Thursday night play-in teams of all time. Creighton would have... errrrr... nevermind... not worth it.
          Are you talking last year or two years ago? 2014-15, or 2015-16? Creighton would have been top four in the Valley last year, in 2014-15, they were last place in the Big East, better than Bradley, probably at a level with 2014-15 Missouri State. Sixth place, maybe seventh.
          There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Originally posted by proshox View Post

Last year's team would have been exposed repeatedly in a better conference. We had the number one defense, but we had an awful offense.
            More athletic/talented teams would have figured out how to break down our defense and we would have been out of the at large picture in the Big East or AAC. Seton Hall basically dominated WSU for thirty minutes last year and I am pretty sure they were on he weaker side of the BE.
            Utah, Vanderbilt, and Arizona would all disagree.

Also, Seton Hall finished 3rd in the Big East and received a 6 seed.

You're crazy.

Comment

You're crazy.
              Aren't we all?
              "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

WSU should get in the tournament nine out of ten years in the current Valley. I couldn't say the same thing about the AAC or BE.

With that said - sign me up for a new conference. This is about entertainment over a 30 game season.
                It is about entertainment for me as well, I would much rather watch a game with Providence as the opponenent than Evansville. That said, don't sell last year's Wichita State short. Two future NBA'ers, a great surrounding cast, they would have been dancing out of either the BE or AAC.
                There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• I don't get the idea that more losses in the AAC would mean we wouldn't make the tournament. We lost 6 games conference games in 2012-2013, had only one big non-con win (@ VCU), lost in the conference tournament, and got a 9 seed. I believe the conference was ranked 8th in RPI that year, which is probably around what we'd be seeing in the AAC.

If that same scenario happened in the Valley today, we'd have no chance of getting in. I guess there's people that have hope that the Valley can get back to that level some day.... But I wouldn't hold your breath.

Comment

in 2014-15, they were last place in the Big East, better than Bradley, probably at a level with 2014-15 Missouri State. Sixth place, maybe seventh.
                    2014-2015 Pomeroy/RPI
                    79/151 Creighton
                    114/119 Evansville
                    133/123 Loyola
                    169/190 Indiana St
                    223/278 SIU
                    254/288 Bradley
                    255/247 Missouri St
                    275/269 Drake

Level with Missouri St?

Just stop.

Comment

Two years ago Creighton probably would have been a six seed in the Valley tourney, maybe even a seven playing on Thursday, they were that bad. Last year, Creighton was a good Valley tourney from the dance.
                      Haven't researched it too deeply, but last years Creighton team lost to a Thursday play-in Valley team. That would be the Ramblers. Were they (the bluejays) better last year than the year before? If so, I would have to say you're right.

Comment

• WSU's Final Four team lost to the last place MVC team that year.

Just stop it.

Comment

WSU lost an OT game on the road with garbage officiating and that somehow translates to them getting "dominated"? Not to mention the fact that Seton Hall won the Big East tournament and was a 6 seed in the NCAAs.

I can understand the disagreement since you obviously are in over your head regarding facts and reality.

Let's do better next time.
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Utah, Vanderbilt, and Arizona would all disagree.

Also, Seton Hall finished 3rd in the Big East and received a 6 seed.

You're crazy.

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                            WSU lost an OT game on the road with garbage officiating and that somehow translates to them getting "dominated"? Not to mention the fact that Seton Hall won the Big East tournament and was a 6 seed in the NCAAs.

I can understand the disagreement since you obviously are in over your head regarding facts and reality.

Let's do better next time.
                            TWINS!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                              TWINS!!!

Comment

2014-2015 Pomeroy/RPI
                                79/151 Creighton
                                114/119 Evansville
                                133/123 Loyola
                                169/190 Indiana St
                                223/278 SIU
                                254/288 Bradley
                                255/247 Missouri St
                                275/269 Drake

Level with Missouri St?

Just stop.
                                Doesn't playong in the Big East help boost an individual team's rating? Doesn't only having one strong team in a league hurt everyone's rating? Something like a high tide lifts all boats?

All I have to go on is watching them in person. When you are going to the games only to see the ooponents, and hopefully not see the home team unintended and unforced, dribble the ball off their foot, you might come to the conclusion that they were a pretty bad team. The old eye test.

Keep in mind, four starters had just graduated, these were the band aid players, there to fill the gap. Two years later, exactly zero of the starters on the 2014-15 team start today, they have all been replaced.

Comment

Working...
                                X