No announcement yet.

American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was suprised in the pre-game show how Kennedy didn't seemed very excited about the AAC and was trying to make the case for staying in the MVC. If WSU was in the AAC this year - they would likely get 6 more Top 50 opportunities, another 4 top 100 opportunities.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
      I was suprised in the pre-game show how Kennedy didn't seemed very excited about the AAC and was trying to make the case for staying in the MVC. If WSU was in the AAC this year - they would likely get 6 more Top 50 opportunities, another 4 top 100 opportunities.
      He's probably got many friends and colleagues within the Valley. And rightfully so. He's been around for decades. Could just be a "comfort zone" situation.
      FINAL FOURS:
      1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
      1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
      Number of Times Ranked: 157
      Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
      Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
      Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
      #3 - Dec. 2017
      #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
      #2 ~ March 2014
      Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• I think it could be a matter of not pooping in the bed you sleep in. But MK is a diplomatic guy and throws very few people under the bus.

Comment

• Jon Rothstein, who broke the news on FanRag last week, is this week's guest on the Talk Angry podcast. https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...790345952?mt=2

Comment

• Seth Davis wrote today Shocks should stay put.

Comment

• Anybody on the outside looking in that thinks we should stay put doesn't have WSU's best interests in mind.
              "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Obvious View Post
                Seth Davis wrote today Shocks should stay put.
                Originally posted by Seth Davis
                By the way, count me among those who think that leaving the Missouri Valley Conference would be a stupid move for Wichita State. Like, New Coke stupid.

I don't understand the "no" votes, per se.

Worst case scenario is a couple of the headliners leave and they're back-filled with Loyola-type moves. Bottom 3/4th of the AAC > bottom 3/4th of the MVC, times infinity.

Worst, worst case scenario is the entire conference nukes itself, and the MVC falls over itself welcoming us back.

Comment

• "It might not have caught too many people’s attention, but Oklahoma State notched maybe the most impressive road victory of the weekend when it shredded a really good Wichita State defense in Charles Koch Arena." --- nice research Seth.
                  "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

• Let's say UConn and Cincy were to leave the AAC. Here's a comparison of the remaining 9 AAC teams vs the 9 MVC teams WSU currently enjoys.

Last 5 = Average Pomeroy rank from 2012-2016
                    Last 10 = Average Pomeroy rank from 2007-2016
                    Team Last 5 Team Last 10
                    Memphis 49 Memphis 40
                    UNI
                    UNI
                    Temple 80 Temple 80
                    SMU 92 Tulsa 94
                    Illinois St
                    Illinois St
                    Tulsa 102 Houston 132
                    Evansville
                    Indiana St
                    Indiana St
                    Missouri St
                    Houston 155 SMU 142
                    UCF 171 Evansville
                    South Florida 179 South Florida 150
                    East Carolina 183 Southern Ill
                    Southern Ill

UCF 152
                    Missouri St

Drake
                    Drake
                    Bradley
                    Loyola
                    Loyola
                    Tulane 210 Tulane 194
                    Bradley
                    East Carolina 204
                    With UConn and Cincy, the AAC is a HUGE upgrade.
                    Without them, the AAC is still a small upgrade.
                    Some have commented that the bottom of the AAC is better than the bottom of the MVC. That doesn't appear to be true over the last 10 years, and is only marginally true over the last 5.
                    The top half of the AAC is where it gains a significant advantage over the MVC.

Conclusion: Let's do this!

Comment

• Great research, JH4P!

I want to play devil's advocate for a moment and point out that a few of the MVC dregs right now, ie. Bradley, SIU and even MSU, I believe have the potential, due to previous success, to rise to the top of the league again. Conversely, many of the lower-tier AAC schools (Tulane, ECU, UCF, USF) have very little historical success or reason to believe sustained success is on their horizons. Yes, we have DU, LU and UE. But it's not unreasonable to project a conference without UConn and Cinci could be largely indistinguishable from the MVC with an improved BU, SIU and MSU.

Butler was at it's highest point while dominating the Horizon. Time will tell if they even sniff that kind of success again in the bigeast. Gonzaga continues to be nationally relevant while mostly dominating the WCC with some help from St. Mary's (our UNI). I would even put Creighton in there. Yes, they are having a good year, but they aren't going to go to the NCAA's nearly every year like WSU can, as well as be a factor once into the field.

I'm personally in favor of making the move, but I also understand the logic behind staying.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
                        Let's say UConn and Cincy were to leave the AAC. Here's a comparison of the remaining 9 AAC teams vs the 9 MVC teams WSU currently enjoys.

Last 5 = Average Pomeroy rank from 2012-2016
                        Last 10 = Average Pomeroy rank from 2007-2016
                        Team Last 5 Team Last 10
                        Memphis 49 Memphis 40
                        UNI
                        UNI
                        Temple 80 Temple 80
                        SMU 92 Tulsa 94
                        Illinois St
                        Illinois St
                        Tulsa 102 Houston 132
                        Evansville
                        Indiana St
                        Indiana St
                        Missouri St
                        Houston 155 SMU 142
                        UCF 171 Evansville
                        South Florida 179 South Florida 150
                        East Carolina 183 Southern Ill
                        Southern Ill

UCF 152
                        Missouri St

Drake
                        Drake
                        Bradley
                        Loyola
                        Loyola
                        Tulane 210 Tulane 194
                        Bradley
                        East Carolina 204
                        With UConn and Cincy, the AAC is a HUGE upgrade.
                        Without them, the AAC is still a small upgrade.
                        Some have commented that the bottom of the AAC is better than the bottom of the MVC. That doesn't appear to be true over the last 10 years, and is only marginally true over the last 5.
                        The top half of the AAC is where it gains a significant advantage over the MVC.

Conclusion: Let's do this!
                        Besides just the upgrade in basketball, however big or slight it may be, another YUGE upgrade the AAC has over the MVC is a much bigger footprint in much larger metropolitan areas. It could only help in getting more eyeballs and recruits to see WSU.
                        The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by Seth Davis
                          By the way, count me among those who think that leaving the Missouri Valley Conference would be a stupid move for Wichita State. Like, New Coke stupid.
                          The funny thing is, New Coke blind taste tested better than the Original Coca-Cola...

Also, I would love for him to explain to me how it was "stupid" for Cinci, Memphis, Tusla, SLU, Louisville, Houston, and Creighton to leave the Valley. Or how "stupid" it was for Butler and VCU to leave their conferences for the A-10.

Different times, Different moves, Different circumstances; granted. However, how come it's "stupid" the WSU is looking to position themselves in a better situation? Stick to you tired "time to feed the trolls" and your nobody-cares-about political tweets.
                          The Assman

Comment

• I would also love to know why we should stay in the Valley.

Just guessing that it would be along the lines of staying the big fish in the small pond. And thinking that moving to a better conference would diminish our beloved mid major Cinderella persona.

I also wouldn't doubt that a lot of critics still believe we couldn't go .500 in a 'real' conference and that our NCAA success, albeit fairly consistent is more of a fluke, feeding on middle tier power conference opponents, not the big guys...

No need to refute my statement with facts. I'm just trying to think like them, this is not my opinion.
                            "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by SHURTZtheHERTZ View Post
                              The funny thing is, New Coke blind taste tested better than the Original Coca-Cola...

Also, I would love for him to explain to me how it was "stupid" for Cinci, Memphis, Tusla, SLU, Louisville, Houston, and Creighton to leave the Valley. Or how "stupid" it was for Butler and VCU to leave their conferences for the A-10.

Different times, Different moves, Different circumstances; granted. However, how come it's "stupid" the WSU is looking to position themselves in a better situation? Stick to you tired "time to feed the trolls" and your nobody-cares-about political tweets.
                              I quit following Davis on twitter a couple of months ago due to his political tweets.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                                I quit following Davis on twitter a couple of months ago due to his political tweets.
                                Likewise
                                The Assman

Comment

Working...
                                X