American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
    I would think that Boise St's lack of $s needed from the students comes from their high level of football success. Perhaps comparing to Nevada might be a better starting point and work up from there Limited success still with a comparable enrollment.

Also, the MWC has 12 football schools....at the moment anyway.
    Nevada is probably not a very good comparison considering that their budget with football is only about $2.5M more than WSU's budget without football.
    ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

• Just have ol' Charles throw us a $1 billion football endowment and we can figure out the rest. There will be about 50,000 displaced football fans in about 5 years that I will be more than happy to take money and support from.

Comment

• Originally posted by AndShock View Post
        Just have ol' Charles throw us a $1 billion football endowment and we can figure out the rest. There will be about 50,000 displaced football fans in about 5 years that I will be more than happy to take money and support from.
        If Koch committed that amount (even 1/10 of that), I would commit to season tickets.
        The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker-maniac View Post
          Nevada is probably not a very good comparison considering that their budget with football is only about $2.5M more than WSU's budget without football.
          So which would be a good comparison. There are only a few schools even close to WSU's enrollment. First, you thrown out the Academy as a special situation. Wyoming's enrollment is smaller and their budget % by fans is smaller than Nevada's, but their overall budget is about $8 mill over WSU. Boise St is a bad comparison due to their high football success is not the norm for non-P5 schools and their enrollment is over 21,000. After that, you're looking at 25-35,000 enrollment with the rest of the schools.

I think you look at Nevada and Wyoming being the best matches due to enrollment to see how both come about paying the bills.

Comment

• Boise State:

Enrollment - 22K
            Endowment - $89M
            Academic Research Funding -$27M
            Athletic Financials -

Nevada:

Enrollment - 21K
            Endowment - $295M
            Academic Research Funding -$87M
            Athletic Financials -

Wichita State:

Enrollment - 15K
            Endowment - $291M
            Academic Research Funding -$59M
            Athletic Financials -

Comment

• I don't wanna go west.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                I don't wanna go west.
                "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• If the City of Wichita passed a 1-cent sales tax increase it is estimated it would generate $400 million in 5 years. $100M could be used for facilities and equipment and $300M could be used for a "football endowment." I would think that the $300M endowment should pretty much provide the funds needed to operate the football program on an annual basis, and fund the Title IX scholarships.

The beauty of this arrangement is that it would do no harm to the basketball program. The football program would be self-sustaining and it would not suck resources away from the basketball program.

Comment

• would 100 mil do facilities?

Comment

• I think someone posted that the University of North Texas built a new stadium for $70M or $80M. I have never been in it but driving by it on I-35 it certainly looks more than adequate.

EDIT: according to this source it was built for $78M. The stadium capacity is 30K. I think we should look at a capacity of around 20K.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apogee_Stadium
                      Last edited by Shocker-maniac; December 28, 2015, 09:07 PM.

Comment

• As far as Title IX goes, 2 relatively low start up cost options are:

1. Women's Soccer - play in the new football stadium so there would not be additional facility costs.

2. Women's Rowing - Upgrade the existing Women's rowing team that is operating at the club level to NCAA level. Because it is an existing program most of the infrastructure and equipment already exists. I would think that it would definitely be at lower start up cost than starting a new program from scratch.
                        Last edited by Shocker-maniac; December 28, 2015, 09:26 PM.

Comment

If the City of Wichita passed a 1-cent sales tax increase it is estimated it would generate $400 million in 5 years. $100M could be used for facilities and equipment and $300M could be used for a "football endowment." I would think that the $300M endowment should pretty much provide the funds needed to operate the football program on an annual basis, and fund the Title IX scholarships.

The beauty of this arrangement is that it would do no harm to the basketball program. The football program would be self-sustaining and it would not suck resources away from the basketball program.
                          I'll play for the fun of it. Would $300M be needed or 1% for 5 years? Based on @SHOCKvalue:'s numbers, WSU spends a little over $4M more for the basketball program than Boise or Nevada. Add the expense of football by splitting the difference between those 2 schools at $8M. That's $12M additional costs so far. If I read the numbers right, for all non-football/basketball sports plus non-allocated by gender sports, Boise spends $18M while Nevada is at $15M. WSU currents spends almost $16M, so I'll throw in another $2M cost for $18M total. Now we're at $14M additional expenses ($4M+$8M+$2M).

Their football programs, by themselves, make money (Nevada was a + $1.2M), so let's say WSU only makes $6M and loses $2M. Next, I'll split the difference on stadium size and go 25K and go $90M to build (N Texas is 30K for $78M). That leaves $310M and should be able to clear about 3% conservatively for $9.3M. Add this to $6M from football revenue and we have $15.3M. If you have any private monies going in at the start, it would help reduce the stadium cost and leave more in the pot.

Also, there is a benefit to the students, so a slight raise in fees (still keeping WSU costs below the other big 2) would not be out of line. With these numbers, you might be able to cut off a year of tax or have a sliding reduction over the years (1%, 1%, 3/4%, 3/4%, 1/2%, 1/2% over 6 years).

Comment

I'll play for the fun of it. Would $300M be needed or 1% for 5 years? Based on @SHOCKvalue:'s numbers, WSU spends a little over $4M more for the basketball program than Boise or Nevada. Add the expense of football by splitting the difference between those 2 schools at $8M. That's $12M additional costs so far. If I read the numbers right, for all non-football/basketball sports plus non-allocated by gender sports, Boise spends $18M while Nevada is at $15M. WSU currents spends almost $16M, so I'll throw in another $2M cost for $18M total. Now we're at $14M additional expenses ($4M+$8M+$2M).

Their football programs, by themselves, make money (Nevada was a + $1.2M), so let's say WSU only makes $6M and loses $2M. Next, I'll split the difference on stadium size and go 25K and go $90M to build (N Texas is 30K for $78M). That leaves $310M and should be able to clear about 3% conservatively for $9.3M. Add this to $6M from football revenue and we have $15.3M. If you have any private monies going in at the start, it would help reduce the stadium cost and leave more in the pot.

Also, there is a benefit to the students, so a slight raise in fees (still keeping WSU costs below the other big 2) would not be out of line. With these numbers, you might be able to cut off a year of tax or have a sliding reduction over the years (1%, 1%, 3/4%, 3/4%, 1/2%, 1/2% over 6 years).
                            This is actually a feasible plan. Call Bardo, let's get this thing started! I think the interest is there, the support is there. I don't see any reason not to do it.
                            People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

For the most recent fiscal year, the total athletic budget was just under $25M and approximately $5.7M was spent on men's basketball.

http://sidearm.sites.s3.amazonaws.co...015.pdf?id=527

Comment

For the most recent fiscal year, the total athletic budget was just under $25M and approximately $5.7M was spent on men's basketball.

http://sidearm.sites.s3.amazonaws.co...015.pdf?id=527
                                Those numbers would be consistent with @SHOCKvalue:'s numbers.

Men/Women's basketball (rounded): WSU $7,875,000, Boise St $3,718,000, and Nevada $3,539,000. That's a little over $4M more for WSU.

Comment

Working...
                                X