No announcement yet.

American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regarding the football talk...I would think that an aggressive move to get football back at Wichita St. is as close to a perfect storm as the university could get RIGHT NOW. Kinda strike while the oven is hot type of thing.

Wichita St. is as close to a name brand right now with the basketball program. I just saw an ESPN commercial for a Bowl Game with Georgia St. vs San Jose St. Would it not be possible for Wichita St. with the brand name thing going on these days to be in a similar type of situation???

I can see a day in the not to distant future with an ESPN commercial touting a Wichita St. vs Central Florida in a BOWL GAME!!!! How fun would that be!!!!!

GO SHOCKS!!!!
    FINAL FOURS:
    1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
    1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
    Number of Times Ranked: 157
    Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
    Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
    Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
    #3 - Dec. 2017
    #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
    #2 ~ March 2014
    Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post
      Well, it's just my guess, and I could be wrong. But I don't think so. Yet, to get back on focus, if we are to pour athletic money (donations, funds, etc.) into a deep hole, which football and soccer both are currently, which hole is the best? My VERY limited understanding of Title IX suggests that the scholarships required for a meaningful football program would require an enormous shift in women's sports, placing the entire athletic department in a position of funding/managing/supporting a number of activities that could severely strain resources, only to see the rationale for ANY football program erode with time.
      I am not in favor of pouring money into a money pit. The only way a responsible athletic program could rationalize starting a FBS type program if money for what they needed as far as facilities and scholarships and salaries was in place and a healty endowment to continue to improve facilities. There is no way I would be in favor of a year to year funding based on ticket sales or donations to the program. It has to be a commitment on the front end and not just a promise for the future. I would love to see football return because some of my kids best memories were walking across campus and playing in the leaves and seeing the various outdoor sculptures and hotdogs at the game. I don't know how many games they actually got to see the Shox win but in their minds they won em all.

Comment

• Originally posted by rrshock View Post
        While football brings attention, it also brings alot of unneeded headache
        Maybe literally and possibly legally.

Comment

• Hey, we could always cheat...

That'd probably get us some recruits to get the ball rolling downhill to start.
          "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• For the fiscal year ended June 30, 2015, the WSU Intercollegiate Athletic Association finished financially in the black. In fact, there was an almost $1.3M increase in assets for the year. However, this includes an institutional subsidy of $3.1M. Without the subsidy the athletic program would have finished in the red at about $1.8M. In other words, the athletic program is not self sustaining and relies on the academic side subsidizing it.

In addition to the subsidy, the athletic department realized income of $2.8M in student fees. $4.3M in ticket revenue, and $5.3M in SASO contributions. $2.6M in licensing and royalty fees. $1M in NCAA distributions.

Now on the $3.1M subsidy, WSU ICAA paid $3.3M in athletic student aid so the institution came out slightly ahead when you factor in the tuition revenue that it received. I am assuming most of the $3.3M was tuition that was paid.

The men's basketball program generated about $1.1M in profit. Baseball lost $400K, women's basketball had a loss of $1.37M, and all other athletic programs lost $4.3M combined.
            Last edited by Shocker-maniac; December 21, 2015, 11:32 PM.
            ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

• Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post
              I agree. I just think it is short sighted to tie our conference affiliation to football.
              I believe that is what this study is all about. I believe that Bardo's main goal is to get us into the best possible conference for the long term good of our basketball program. If we can do it without adding football, then Bardo would like to find out what that path is and how to accomplish it. If we have to add football to do that, then he is willing to see if that is feasible and make that happen if it is.

I will support whatever WSU decides to do. If we re-start football I will do everything I can to help make it successful.

No matter how tough it may be to re-start football, today's realities and our central location may make it the only option for improving our conference.

Comment

• I'd rather then add Wrestling, Hockey, Polo, swimming, Diving or maybe have the first watch the paint dry or grass grow team than add soccer.

Comment

• Originally posted by dwbarcl View Post
                  I'd rather then add Wrestling, Hockey, Polo, swimming, Diving or maybe have the first watch the paint dry or grass grow team than add soccer.
                  Soccer is HUGE worldwide. You will increase enrollment, especially from international students with the addition of Soccer.

Comment

• I too think soccer is the way to go. St. Louis and KC in particular have a lot of soccer talent. KU built a tremendous new soccer facility last year and K-State doesn't have women's soccer so there isn't as much regional competition.

I'll always be a football first guy. Concussion issues or not. But soccer is quickly approaching baseball as my second favorite sport. A lot of the old-timers on this board that complain about how boring it is and how it won't catch on are going to be pretty surprised in another decade or so. More college-aged kids could tell you who Aston Villa's keeper is than a single NHL player I bet. Right now even.

Comment

• Originally posted by LuskingforGuttin View Post
                      I too think soccer is the way to go. St. Louis and KC in particular have a lot of soccer talent. KU built a tremendous new soccer facility last year and K-State doesn't have women's soccer so there isn't as much regional competition.

I'll always be a football first guy. Concussion issues or not. But soccer is quickly approaching baseball as my second favorite sport. A lot of the old-timers on this board that complain about how boring it is and how it won't catch on are going to be pretty surprised in another decade or so. More college-aged kids could tell you who Aston Villa's keeper is than a single NHL player I bet. Right now even.
                      K-State just brought back women's soccer. They are currently constructing a new facility/field and will be up and running soon. Looks like they spent 2.1 million for construction.

Page Not Found (404): It looks like you're lost... The page you are looking for no longer exists.

Comment

• Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
                        K-State just brought back women's soccer. They are currently constructing a new facility/field and will be up and running soon. Looks like they spent 2.1 million for construction.

http://www.kstatesports.com/page/facilities-soccer
                        Good catch. I obviously missed that one.

Comment

• Since we are talking crazy on here. What about moving the women's Bowling program from Intercollegiate (USBC) to NCAA? would that help or hurt the program?

Comment

• Donald Trump hates soccer.
                            Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• Originally posted by dwbarcl View Post
                              Since we are talking crazy on here. What about moving the women's Bowling program from Intercollegiate (USBC) to NCAA? would that help or hurt the program?
                              It is my understanding that the bowling people prefer the USBC because it allows the bowlers to compete in summer tournaments for monetary prizes. The NCAA does not allow that.
                              78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by KC Shox View Post

http://www.kstatesports.com/page/facilities-soccer
                                K-State might need to invest more in soccer with Snyder retiring again in the near future. Lol.. In all seriousness though that athletic department is in a awkward spot. They keep making improvements to their football stadium, when maybe they should be focusing more on soccer and baseball.

Comment

Working...
                                X