American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by AndShock View Post
    Easy, bring some of the cheap Valley schools with us and say if they create a new conference with us we'll give them a check for $5,000. Then when we're done with them we kick them to the Horizon.
    Except we would have to take most of the valley with us. If we change leagues, I don't want to have to take 6 other valley schools with us for at least five more years. That defeats the purpose. And who would want to join that league anyway? Nobody good wants to join the valley as it stands now. Even if you kick out three of the bottom feeders you'll still have three or four more bottom feeders that you can't get rid of.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Therapy View Post
      Except we would have to take most of the valley with us. If we change leagues, I don't want to have to take 6 other valley schools with us for at least five more years. That defeats the purpose. And who would want to join that league anyway? Nobody good wants to join the valley as it stands now. Even if you kick out three of the bottom feeders you'll still have three or four more bottom feeders that you can't get rid of.
      I was just kidding because I know that plan isn't feasible, but theoretically would we really have to keep them for 5 years? If say, DePaul decides they're tired of the Big East in 3 years does the Big East lose their autobid? I know to keep the autobid for a "new" conference you need at least the "core 7" but it seems like the 5 years stipulation could cause some problems.

Comment

• Originally posted by AndShock View Post
        I was just kidding because I know that plan isn't feasible, but theoretically would we really have to keep them for 5 years? If say, DePaul decides they're tired of the Big East in 3 years does the Big East lose their autobid? I know to keep the autobid for a "new" conference you need at least the "core 7" but it seems like the 5 years stipulation could cause some problems.
        Yes, if DePaul quits before five years has passed then they will lose their auto bid until the current group has been together for five years. I would hope that those seven signed a contract stating that there will be a massive penalty if any of the charter members bow out before five years is up. It would be monumentally stupid (and hilarious) if they didn't.

Comment

• Originally posted by GO_SHOCKERS View Post
          Here is some news for you from an Atlanta TV station of all places...

Wichita State - The Shockers are currently ranked 4th in the nation in men's basketball. Their women's team is making a push towards the top 25. Another benefit to adding the shockers is their volleyball program is a school that could be a major boost to the MWC along with being a major threat to Colorado State. Which I believe is what the conference needs for volleyball. Just think how huge would a San Diego State vs Wichita State men's basketball game be for the conference. Major networks would be all over it.
          One of the best arguments I have heard for attending Shocker VB matches and Shocker women's basketball games. They didn't even mention our baseball program. The big problem Hawaii presents is travel costs. With the exception of women's softball the Shocks put a quality product on the playing field in every sport they sponsor.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
            One of the best arguments I have heard for attending Shocker VB matches and Shocker women's basketball games. They didn't even mention our baseball program. The big problem Hawaii presents is travel costs. With the exception of women's softball the Shocks put a quality product on the playing field in every sport they sponsor.
            That's kind of the big caveat with the MWC; baseball is a long afterthought. I think only something like half of the schools field a baseball program.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
              That's kind of the big caveat with the MWC; baseball is a long afterthought. I think only something like half of the schools field a baseball program.
              That's a higher percentage than our current league....

ZING!

But seriously.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                7 of 11.

Comment

• ***Note to everyone***
                  I clicked on the website on message #1512 and ended up with a virus. Looks like some sort of cross-site scripting hack. I made the mistake of clicking on 'WSB's winter storm coverage' and had multiple windows open. I could not close the windows, so I shut down IE and started my anti-virus, which detected about 10 items, which were cleaned up.

If you click on the link, close it after you read the article eand do not attempt to navigate any further within the website.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocka khan View Post
                    ***Note to everyone***
                    I clicked on the website on message #1512 and ended up with a virus. Looks like some sort of cross-site scripting hack. I made the mistake of clicking on 'WSB's winter storm coverage' and had multiple windows open. I could not close the windows, so I shut down IE and started my anti-virus, which detected about 10 items, which were cleaned up.

If you click on the link, close it after you read the article eand do not attempt to navigate any further within the website.
                    I posted the link from an ATL TV News site, if that is the case do not click the link what I copied and pasted was the only part about WSU.
                    Shocker Football...Alive in '95 errr 2005 errr 2025!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
                      Schools don't publicly trash their current league by saying they are lobbying to get into another one. Announcements only happen when it is a done deal.

Rest assured we aren't thrilled with the current situation.
                      Yes. No one talks about a deal like that until it's done, because if it falls through, you're screwed. We'd be in a bad negotiating position with the MVC if we were publicly trying to flee. We could publicly spurn them and then still end up in the conference for twenty more years, the entire time being viewed as having one foot out the door, and having our input completely ignored for new members or any anything else of interest. Why placate a team that won't be in the conference long-term?

When there is a lot of noise about conference moves, it's usually because a team is trying to negotiate with their current conference to get concessions.

Again, for FSU: there was tons of talk about FSU leaving for the Big 12. And then FSU agreed to the grant of rights, in return for concessions from the ACC. It was mostly a bargaining tactic.

We don't want to bargain with the MVC, because there isn't anything the MVC can give us that would make us want to stay. We can either leave or we can't.
                      Originally posted by BleacherReport
                      Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

• No problem, GO SHOCKERS, it was actually a good article. Many news sites, for whatever reason, have code making them vulnerable to cross site scripting. There is software that can inspect web code for this flaw, but for some reason, many sites don't see a need for it.

Comment

• Lutz has been speaking frequently about the need for WSU's AD to be proactive in marketing WSU to the big East along with St Louis. The fact that he continues to talk about it leads me to believe the AD isn't doing anything.
                          Gotta strike when the iron is red hot.

Have any of you heard any reaching out to other conferences by the AD? With Loyola joining the conference, it leads me to believe the MoVal Commish believes its a forgone conclusion that the Shox are leaving (since the map continues to move east).

Comment

• Originally posted by Veritas View Post
                            Lutz has been speaking frequently about the need for WSU's AD to be proactive in marketing WSU to the big East along with St Louis. The fact that he continues to talk about it leads me to believe the AD isn't doing anything.
                            Not sure if serious.

Comment

• I've been under the impression that it's the university presidents who do the work when it comes to conference moves. Even so, we aren't likely to hear anything reliable if they are.

Comment

• Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
                                Not sure if serious.
                                So by your response (or lack of) do you believe the AD (on direction by Bardo) is actively marketing WSU to the big East?
                                Furthermore, do you believe or not believe that with Lutz' connection within the AD that he wouldn't have a clue about any developments?
                                Additionally, do you have confidence that the WSU is proactively seeking membership with another conference and you have extraordinary high confidence that ADES is the salesman to do it?

Comment

Working...
                                X