X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post
    Probably don't want to move NIAR...

http://www.niar.wichita.edu/profile/locations.asp
    Cheaper to build them a new building than a new stadium.

Edit: Plus, slots in the stadium could fund a lot of scholarships.
    Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Perhaps what men's soccer doesn't co-exist with well is a combination of football and Title IX.

Soccer is obviously very popular in Wichita as a participation sport. Whether that is the case as a spectator sport I could not say. The question I have is if Wichita is, in fact, a hot bet of soccer interest why is WSU the only non-football playing Valley school without soccer?
      Without a doubt football and Title IX are counterweights. Adding ANY men's sport to that (precarious) balance would be difficult. As far as popularity, I think we have to look 10 yrs into the future to gauge what people will want to see. If we are able to look that far down the road when planning for tomorrow, I think we can see that soccer will be more popular than today (probably by a large margin) and football will be less (similar to boxing, or wrestling.) I think parents will turn their kids away from football when a meaningful alternative is presented; I think the younger generation(s) have already started the turn. I can't comment on the Valley schools' decision making when it comes to soccer/football/any other sport. I think there's way too many variables to make a generalization without looking foolish (well, more foolish than I look with my soccer over football claim!) Just my opinion.

Comment

• Soccer is great and all, but Americans suck at it. Not sure American Soccer will ever be more popular than Football.

Right now in America, the best athletes play Basketball and Football. In the rest of the world, the best athletes play soccer.
        The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

• Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post
          Without a doubt football and Title IX are counterweights. Adding ANY men's sport to that (precarious) balance would be difficult. As far as popularity, I think we have to look 10 yrs into the future to gauge what people will want to see. If we are able to look that far down the road when planning for tomorrow, I think we can see that soccer will be more popular than today (probably by a large margin) and football will be less (similar to boxing, or wrestling.) I think parents will turn their kids away from football when a meaningful alternative is presented; I think the younger generation(s) have already started the turn. I can't comment on the Valley schools' decision making when it comes to soccer/football/any other sport. I think there's way too many variables to make a generalization without looking foolish (well, more foolish than I look with my soccer over football claim!) Just my opinion.
          You have to look no further than the rise of football popularity with the fairer sex to dispell the theory that you have to play the sport in order to follow it. I agree that there are problems facing football, particularly with injury and funding. However, I can't fathom soccer even approaching football in popularity in my lifetime. Not in the USA anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post
            Soccer is great and all, but Americans suck at it. Not sure American Soccer will ever be more popular than Football.

Right now in America, the best athletes play Basketball and Football. In the rest of the world, the best athletes play soccer.
            I understand your position; I had the same one maybe 10-15 years ago. But, I think the tide is turning. I know my kids (some of whom live in Nebraska, for cripes sake!) have said their sons will NEVER play football. They still watch it, though. But my grandson was RIVETED to the TV screen for the MLS final. And, he plays soccer. Yeah, I think it'll change.

Comment

• Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
              You have to look no further than the rise of football popularity with the fairer sex to dispell the theory that you have to play the sport in order to follow it. I agree that there are problems facing football, particularly with injury and funding. However, I can't fathom soccer even approaching football in popularity in my lifetime. Not in the USA anyway.
              Well, it's just my guess, and I could be wrong. But I don't think so. Yet, to get back on focus, if we are to pour athletic money (donations, funds, etc.) into a deep hole, which football and soccer both are currently, which hole is the best? My VERY limited understanding of Title IX suggests that the scholarships required for a meaningful football program would require an enormous shift in women's sports, placing the entire athletic department in a position of funding/managing/supporting a number of activities that could severely strain resources, only to see the rationale for ANY football program erode with time.

Comment

Well, it's just my guess, and I could be wrong. But I don't think so. Yet, to get back on focus, if we are to pour athletic money (donations, funds, etc.) into a deep hole, which football and soccer both are currently, which hole is the best? My VERY limited understanding of Title IX suggests that the scholarships required for a meaningful football program would require an enormous shift in women's sports, placing the entire athletic department in a position of funding/managing/supporting a number of activities that could severely strain resources, only to see the rationale for ANY football program erode with time.
                Please don't construe my comments as a green light for the return of football. It has to be studied and studied and studied some more. Solid financial backing must be in place. Additionally, I'm not saying soccer wouldn't be viable. I just don't think soccer will replace the juggernaut football.

Comment

Please don't construe my comments as a green light for the return of football. It has to be studied and studied and studied some more. Solid financial backing must be in place. Additionally, I'm not saying soccer wouldn't be viable. I just don't think soccer will replace the juggernaut football.
                  Just another generation, maybe two, and we'll know. I think it would take that long for football at WSU to be profitable, if then. http://www.espnfc.us/major-league-so...says-espn-poll

Comment

I say we let Phil Ruffin reopen the Greyhound park, including slots, with the provision he tears down the Kansas Coliseum and puts a stadium in its place.
                    No, No, No, No
                    On campus or nothing

Comment

Just another generation, maybe two, and we'll know. I think it would take that long for football at WSU to be profitable, if then. http://www.espnfc.us/major-league-so...says-espn-poll
                      IMHO, "profitability" largely depends on conference affiliation and TV revenue sharing. Without a major-type conference, the best we can probably hope for is a break-even. Then the critical item would be the "intangibles" that would promote the university as a whole (i.e. the final four run resulting in $550,000,000 of "recognition" through unpaid-for mentioons in the media).
                      "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                      ---------------------------------------
                      Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                      "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                      "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                        Damn straight. I'm sitting on the bench if we get soccer going, one way or the other. Even if that means handing out water.

"Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

• Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post
                          Soccer is great and all, but Americans suck at it. Not sure American Soccer will ever be more popular than Football.

Eh no. We don't suck at it. Our women are some of the best in the world and the men aren't too shabby.
                          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                            IMHO, "profitability" largely depends on conference affiliation and TV revenue sharing. Without a major-type conference, the best we can probably hope for is a break-even. Then the critical item would be the "intangibles" that would promote the university as a whole (i.e. the final four run resulting in $550,000,000 of "recognition" through unpaid-for mentioons in the media).
                            I agree. I just think it is short sighted to tie our conference affiliation to football.

Comment

• If we can get Alex Morgan, Carli Lloyd, and Julie Johnston to coach, I'll get front row season tickets.
                              People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• I do believe that even adding soccer for both men and women could help with enrollment. It's not football, but there is serious interest in soccer in the area.

I know personally that I could've cared less about soccer up until a few years ago. Now I can say I have watched just as much, if not more, soccer than football in the past couple years. Once I got the rules all figured out, it was alot better.

While football brings attention, it also brings alot of unneeded headache and debt. I really don't think football is the answer, but will try to support it if it is added.

Comment

Working...
                                X