No announcement yet.

Daily Wit and Wisdom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The genius of our ruling class is that it has kept a majority of the people from ever questioning the inequity of a system where most people drudge along, paying heavy taxes for which they get nothing in return.
    Gore Vidal
    :encouragement:
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• The genious of our leaders shows through when you realize the drains on our society smarter than they are. -- DSB

A majority of people no longer pay taxes, and in return get rewarded for it by getting money, housing, health care, education, and food from those who do.

The amazing part is those who are "drudging along, paying heavy taxes and getting nothing in return for it" continue to believe it is the right thing to do.

Comment

• My cousins gay, he went to London only to find out that Big Ben was a clock.
        Rodney Dangerfield
        :apple:
        I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use.
            Soren Kierkegaard
            :peach:

Comment

• The world is very different now. For man holds in his mortal hands the power to abolish all forms of human poverty and all forms of human life. And yet the same revolutionary beliefs for which our forebears fought are still at issue around the globe--the belief that the rights of man come not from the generosity of the state but from the hand of God.

We dare not forget today that we are the heirs of that first revolution. Let the word go forth from this time and place, to friend and foe alike, that the torch has been passed to a new generation of Americans--born in this century, tempered by war, disciplined by a hard and bitter peace, proud of our ancient heritage--and unwilling to witness or permit the slow undoing of those human rights to which this nation has always been committed, and to which we are committed today at home and around the world.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.
              #36 John F. Kennedy, Inaugural Address, January 20, 1961.

It is my firm belief that there should be separation of church and state as we understand it in the United States -- that is, that both church and state should be free to operate, without interference from each other in their respective areas of jurisdiction. We live in a liberal, democratic society which embraces wide varieties of belief and disbelief. There is no doubt in my mind that the pluralism which has developed under our Constitution, providing as it does a framework within which diverse opinions can exist side by side and by their interaction enrich the whole, is the most ideal system yet devised by man.
              #36 John F. Kennedy, Letter to Glenn L. Archer, February 23, 1959.

Geography has made us neighbors. History has made us friends. Economics has made us partners, and necessity has made us allies. Those whom God has so joined together, let no man put asunder.
              #36 John F. Kennedy, Ottawa, Canada, May 17, 1961.
              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.
                Winston Churchill
                :moon:

Comment

• An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs.
                  Edgard Varese

Comment

• well .....

We won’t duck the tough issues . . . we will lead!
                    We won’t blame others…we will take responsibility!
                    We won’t replace our founding principles . . . we will reapply them! -- VP Candidate Paul Ryan
                    "If we do everything right, if we do it with absolute certainty, there's still a 30% chance we're going to get it wrong." --Joe Biden

Comment

• Find the good. It's all around you. Find it, showcase it and you'll start believing in it.
                      Jesse Owens
                      :peach:

Comment

• The main difference between men and women is that men are lunatics and women are idiots.
                        Rebecca West
                        :dog:

Comment

• Have any of you all met Paul Ryan? We should get him to come to the university. I’m telling you this guy is amazing. ... He is honest, he is straightforward, he is sincere. And the budget that he came forward with is just like Paul Ryan. It is a sensible, straightforward, serious budget and it cut the budget deficit just like we did, by $4 trillion
                          --Erskine Bowles (Clintor Chief of Staff)

Comment

• President Obama
                            During a speech a few months ago, Governor Romney even explained his energy policy this way: "You can't drive a car with a windmill on it."
                            That's what he said about wind power: "You can't drive a car with a windmill on it."
                            Now, I don't know if he's actually tried that. I know he's had other things on his car.

Comment

• Billy Jack in "Billy Jack Goes to Washington"
                              One simple little tool could turn this government back into being a government of the people instead of a government of corporations.

Comment

• The best time I ever had with Joan Crawford was when I pushed her down the stairs in Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?
                                Bette Davis
                                :smiley_simmons:

Comment

Working...
                                X