Coronavirus 2019-nCoV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
    I wear a mask 10 hours a day. A review of a natural social experiment was conducted on the effectiveness of masks. When social distancing practices alone were deployed when peak cases were in the community, a group of 1000 employees were monitored from April 1 to June 1. The positive cases were checked against positive cases that occurred when masks were required for the same 1000 employees as cases had decreased and masks were deployed between June 1 and June 18. The results of the study showed that there was a 0.1% chance of infection in both cases. While additional data is needed to correlate the results, this analysis has demonstrated that there is no statistically significant decrease in risk when a mask is employed, and it may intact be detrimental.
    The problem with your example is that you have compared wearing a mask (I assume without social distancing) to social distancing. That does nothing to demonstrate the effectiveness or ineffectiveness of wearing a mask. It merely indicates that if you never get closer than 6' from another individual, you have the same level of protection as someone wearing a mask and getting near people.

It is not possible to make a retail purchase without getting within 6' of someone. It is impractical to walk through a retail outlet and always maintain social distancing. Wearing a mask also prevwents you from touching your mouth or nose with your hands.

Wearing a mask should not be politicized. Trump's refusal to endorse wearing masks politicized a public health issue. Then those who are asking everyone to wear a mask are automatically labeled as Never Trumper libtards.

I'm going to follow the advice of medical professionals who've spent their careers studying this subject rather than trust the "gut feeling" of a real estate developer and reality TV star who wanted his medical team to study the effects of drinking bleach.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
      I did not know that.
      Yes, everyone here agrees that N95 masks are quite effective. Surgical masks are decent but not as good. Cloth masks are barely worth a damn, and may be counter-positive if you do not clean them regularly due to harboring bacteria.
      Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

The problem with your example is that you have compared wearing a mask (I assume without social distancing) to social distancing. That does nothing to demonstrate the effectiveness or ineffectiveness of wearing a mask. It merely indicates that if you never get closer than 6' from another individual, you have the same level of protection as someone wearing a mask and getting near people.

It is not possible to make a retail purchase without getting within 6' of someone. It is impractical to walk through a retail outlet and always maintain social distancing. Wearing a mask also prevwents you from touching your mouth or nose with your hands.

Wearing a mask should not be politicized. Trump's refusal to endorse wearing masks politicized a public health issue. Then those who are asking everyone to wear a mask are automatically labeled as Never Trumper libtards.

I'm going to follow the advice of medical professionals who've spent their careers studying this subject rather than trust the "gut feeling" of a real estate developer and reality TV star who wanted his medical team to study the effects of drinking bleach.
        Okay, simmer down now. That NEVER happened lol. I watched the press conference where light and injecting disinfectants were discussed. You are spewing fake news sir.

T

Comment

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...77893920302301

This is the study I posted earlier. It's actually a study ON studies. I hope you find it helpful. The nuts and bolts are contained inside.

T

our study didn't have sufficient data for subgroup analysis of different mask types since our inclusion criteria mainly focused on masks versus no masks,
          Livin the dream

Comment

Are they proven effective against HIV? About as proven effective as they are against Covid.
            If a mask would prevent one from having oral sex with someone who had HIV, then it would be very effective. Making a comparison between a sexually transmitted virus and a virus with airborne spread is so incredibly bad that I was stunned to see it.

Comment

our study didn't have sufficient data for subgroup analysis of different mask types since our inclusion criteria mainly focused on masks versus no masks,
              This was a statistical analysis of a literature review. I read it. I will read the actual studies if you can pull those up. I am seriously interested.
              Livin the dream

Comment

Okay, simmer down now. That NEVER happened lol. I watched the press conference where light and injecting disinfectants were discussed. You are spewing fake news sir.

T

You're right - it was disinfectants, not bleach, although hospitals were reporting a rise in admissions from people drinking or gargling with bleach after that press conference.

Comment

If a mask would prevent one from having oral sex with someone who had HIV, then it would be very effective. Making a comparison between a sexually transmitted virus and a virus with airborne spread is so incredibly bad that I was stunned to see it.
                  I was stunned to see someone claim that a mask prevents disease and Coronavirus is a disease therefore masks prevent Coronavirus. Stunned and offended! I’m glad you were able to catch on to the absurdity of the claim.
                  Livin the dream

Comment

No. Social distancing and contact tracing are still required and enforced. It doesn’t matter. That very true scenario tells you nothing.
                    Livin the dream

Comment

You're right - it was disinfectants, not bleach, although hospitals were reporting a rise in admissions from people drinking or gargling with bleach after that press conference.
                      That’s also fake. There was an increase in calls to poison control. That increase occurred during the shutdown and before the press conference. Look it up.
                      Livin the dream

Comment

• https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/...e-coronavirus/

Here’s a good study!

Also, make sure to check the references. While the data is accurate, and they did filter the particles to 500 times larger than the Coronavirus prior to running the diagnostic. Not including the fit issues, the cloth mask only filtered out 25% of the 75 um particles.
                        Last edited by wufan; June 18, 2020, 10:44 PM.
                        Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post

that is the mantra now, but no, it was not always preceded that way
                          This is absolute fact. At the beginning and for a long time it was "we will have deaths like we have never seen and millions possibly so we need to face that fact." There was no caveat of if we do something at first. Our slickster dufus governor out here in CA said that 25.5 million people in California would get it with 5,000,000 needing hospitalization. What a dope.

Comment

• It's been said - and accurate - that nobody's ever won a Facebook argument. The same is proving true for SN.

Anybody want to dispute that a few people are going to die because of Trump's campaign rally in Tulsa? OK is experiencing the highest infection increases they've ever had.

It would seem that supporting Trump's rally in Tulsa is supporting a few people dying if it gives Trump a chance to pack an arena. OK is not a swing state. It's a safe state for Trump. He's going to kill some people by holding that rally. They'll be mostly older and weaker people, so does that make it OK?
                            Last edited by Aargh; June 19, 2020, 12:32 AM.

Comment

https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/...e-coronavirus/

Here’s a good study!

Also, make sure to check the references. While the data is accurate, and they did filter the particles to 500 times larger than the Coronavirus prior to running the diagnostic. Not including the fit issues, the cloth mask only filtered out 25% of the 75 um particles.
                              Are you referring to the cotton handkerchief? It looks like several of the masks catch a much higher percentage of the particles. I know the mask I've been wearing is much thicker than a handkerchief. Overall the consensus I'm getting from the study is they can be effective.
                              Shocker fan for life after witnessing my first game in person, the 80-74 win over the #12 Creighton Bluejays at the Kansas Coliseum.

Comment

It's been said - and accurate - that nobody's ever won a Facebook argument. The same is proving true for SN.

Anybody want to dispute that a few people are going to die because of Trump's campaign rally in Tulsa? OK is experiencing the highest infection increases they've ever had.

It would seem that supporting Trump's rally in Tulsa is supporting a few people dying if it gives Trump a chance to pack an arena. OK is not a swing state. It's a safe state for Trump. He's going to kill some people by holding that rally. They'll be mostly older and weaker people, so does that make it OK?
                                Wow!! Quantum leap there. Yikes. Feel like I'm watching CNN or listening to a Chucky Schumer speech.

Comment

Working...
                                X