Coronavirus 2019-nCoV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
    Science is far from exact and you would be foolish to blindly follow that. Especially with respect to Covid when the "science" is being rushed for media and sensationalism and is causing widespread panic and fear when it isn't warranted. I choose to take a measured and logical approach rather than watch CNN every night and panic based on what unqualified people with agendas have to say.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics...h-retractions/

https://www.silive.com/news/2020/05/...s-opinion.html

https://www.bostonherald.com/2020/04...t-often-wrong/
    I don't blindly follow anything. You know that. I also don't watch CNN at all. Zero.

We have overwhelming evidence that SARS 2.0 is the real deal and our extreme social distancing measures have been very effective.

T

Comment

• https://deadline.com/2020/06/califor...es-1202962998/

On Wednesday, Governor Gavin Newsom announced that everyone in the state will now be required to wear face masks in public.

The order seeks to prevent those infected with COVID-19 — but not showing symptoms — from spreading the virus, according to the California Department of Public Health.

Specifically, Californians must wear masks in these circumstances:

-Inside of, or in line to enter, any indoor public space
      -Waiting for or riding on public transportation
      -Engaged in work, whether at the workplace or performing work off-site (with exceptions noted below)
      -While outdoors in public spaces and less that 6 feet from others (exceptions below)
      I would say SMART! But it's really just common sense. Wearing a mask shouldn't be political. Deniers are going to lose (have lost) this argument badly.

I will say this though... wearing a mask all day at the office would be... tough. Definitely couldn't do N95's.

T

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
        I will say this though... wearing a mask all day at the office would be... tough. Definitely couldn't do N95's.
        Weird, you "couldn't do" one of the only two mask types that are actually very effective!
        Last edited by Kung Wu; June 18, 2020, 03:21 PM.
        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Weird, you "couldn't do" one of the only two mask types that are actually effective!
          The only two lol.

Wearing a mask in buildings while shopping.
          Wearing a mask while in public transportation.
          Wearing a mask while at a health provider's facility.
          Wearing a mask while entering and exiting multi-family housing.
          Wearing a mask while in the presence of at-risk individuals.
          Wearing a mask when actually symptomatic.

There are issues with blood oxygen saturation when using N95's for extended periods. I have worn my N95 while under exertion and the effects are real. Wearing an N95 for 8 hours in an office would be tough. You would need to go have "breathing breaks" outside if you started getting weak. A lighter surgical or scarf design would be very tolerable though and has proven to be beneficial in lowering the range of released virus. Think of it like having your hand in front of your mouth all the time.

Now, I would have no problem with office workers wearing N95's to and from their offices/desks then switching out to something a little lighter when stationary. If you really wanted to get anal you could switch back and forth between the two when going to conferences or interacting closer with colleagues.

T

Comment

• I am fully aware that masks are not the cure. Families are not going to wear them in their own homes. But they are absolutely formidable obstacles that work very well along with social distancing - which is the 1st line of defense.

But maybe I wanna go to a movie or a sporting event. I can either physically distance (and not go), or I can strap on an N95 and somewhat enjoy myself. And be very confident that I will not become a vector (if everybody else is also wearing one).

Understand that I am not of the opinion that one can "physically distance" themselves - in the spirit of the term - inside buildings like restaurants, bars, theaters, etc. I've seen enough aerosolization infection studies and reports to be as convinced as gravity at this point. If you hang out at a bar for a few hours and there's an infected on your side of the restaurant... it's up to the gods my friend.

T

Comment

• I wear a mask 10 hours a day. A review of a natural social experiment was conducted on the effectiveness of masks. When social distancing practices alone were deployed when peak cases were in the community, a group of 1000 employees were monitored from April 1 to June 1. The positive cases were checked against positive cases that occurred when masks were required for the same 1000 employees as cases had decreased and masks were deployed between June 1 and June 18. The results of the study showed that there was a 0.1% chance of infection in both cases. While additional data is needed to correlate the results, this analysis has demonstrated that there is no statistically significant decrease in risk when a mask is employed, and it may intact be detrimental.
              Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
                I wear a mask 10 hours a day. A review of a natural social experiment was conducted on the effectiveness of masks. When social distancing practices alone were deployed when peak cases were in the community, a group of 1000 employees were monitored from April 1 to June 1. The positive cases were checked against positive cases that occurred when masks were required for the same 1000 employees as cases had decreased and masks were deployed between June 1 and June 18. The results of the study showed that there was a 0.1% chance of infection in both cases. While additional data is needed to correlate the results, this analysis has demonstrated that there is no statistically significant decrease in risk when a mask is employed, and it may intact be detrimental.
                Conclusion fail.

Infections are too low and random in only one organization - particularly over the month where infections were dropping.
                Deploying masks AFTER practicing social distancing and then intimating they are non-value added is disingenuous science, to put it nicely.

Actually that entire experiment has so many flaws it's total garbage - less than garbage if it actually convinced one person not to wear a mask.

Masks are proven effective at mitigating infection, this is fact. If it weren't, there would be no masks worn in health care facilities.

Obviously, the effectiveness of the mask is determined by the concentration of the pathogen in the air. We do not know where, or when we will be exposed. 99% of the time the mask will likely be worthless in the general public. But it is that 1%, where it saves your ass and contributes to stopping the lily pad story from playing out. Working in a Covid ICU - it's going to get tested constantly, and if one is even slightly laxed in his or her mask management behavior, they will be at risk.

Earlier, I linked a robust scientific study on the efficacy of masks. As expected, it showed strong confidence in their value as an infection preventative measure.

T

Comment

Conclusion fail.

Infections are too low and random in only one organization - particularly over the month where infections were dropping.
                  Deploying masks AFTER practicing social distancing and then intimating they are non-value added is disingenuous science, to put it nicely.

Actually that entire experiment has so many flaws it's total garbage - less than garbage if it actually convinced one person not to wear a mask.

Masks are proven effective at mitigating infection, this is fact. If it weren't, there would be no masks worn in health care facilities.

Obviously, the effectiveness of the mask is determined by the concentration of the pathogen in the air. We do not know where, or when we will be exposed. 99% of the time the mask will likely be worthless in the general public. But it is that 1%, where it saves your ass and contributes to stopping the lily pad story from playing out. Working in a Covid ICU - it's going to get tested constantly, and if one is even slightly laxed in his or her mask management behavior, they will be at risk.

Earlier, I linked a robust scientific study on the efficacy of masks. As expected, it showed strong confidence in their value as an infection preventative measure.

T

Of course it’s garbage! It reads just like the rest of the garbage out there. It is true. It is accurate. It is completely worthless. I tried! I tried and tried and tried to find a study that shows masks are effective against Covid. They ALL read like that, except they are four pages long (which is just shy of the minimum number of pages required to be considered scientifically valid).

“Masks are proven effective at mitigating infection, this is fact. If it weren't, there would be no masks worn in health care facilities.”

Are they proven effective against HIV? About as proven effective as they are against Covid.
                  Livin the dream

Comment

A lot of people....and they will be demonized.
                    Please have a pleasant trip and enjoy yourself!

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

Well, their "science" has been utterly wrong basically every step of the way so... Remember when millions of people were going to die?
                      Remember when "millions of people will die" was always preceded by "if we do nothing". We did something.
                      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Of course it’s garbage! It reads just like the rest of the garbage out there. It is true. It is accurate. It is completely worthless. I tried! I tried and tried and tried to find a study that shows masks are effective against Covid. They ALL read like that, except they are four pages long (which is just shy of the minimum number of pages required to be considered scientifically valid).

“Masks are proven effective at mitigating infection, this is fact. If it weren't, there would be no masks worn in health care facilities.”

Are they proven effective against HIV? About as proven effective as they are against Covid.
                        https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...77893920302301

The physical barrier provided by a mask can effectively prevent the respiratory tract from contacting the outside virus, thereby reducing the risk of respiratory virus infections [36]. A recent study showed that SARS-CoV-2 can travel up to 4 m (≈13 feet) from patients and be widely distributed on daily objects (e.g. floors, computer mice, trash cans) [37]. Surgical masks are able to reduce influenza virus RNA in respiratory droplets and coronavirus RNA in aerosols [38]. The SARS-CoV-2 aerosol, mainly appearing in submicron region (dp between 0.25 and 1.0 μm) and supermicron region (dp > 2.5 μm) [39], can be effectively filtered out from the inhaled air by either surgical masks or N95 masks [3,40]. Comparison of the incidence of COVID-19 in Hongkong, China with Spain, Italy, Germany, France, U.S., U.K., Singapore, and South Korea showed that community-wide mask wearing may assist in controlling COVID-19 with reduced emission of infected saliva and respiratory droplets from mildly symptomatic patients [41].
                        During the current COVID-19 pandemic, HCWs are facing the dangers inherent in close contact with index-patients [42]. In Italy, more than 2,600 HCWs have been infected by March 19, 2020, accounting for 8.3% of the country's total cases [43]. According to our analysis, wearing masks significantly reduced the risk of infection among HCWs by 80%. It is noteworthy that, none of the 278 HCWs wearing N95 masks in quarantined areas were infected by SARS-CoV-2 yet, 10 of the 215 HCWs who did not wear masks in the open areas were infected [35]. Therefore, universal masking of HCWs at clinical settings is likely to provide great benefits for HCWs. especially during current COVID-19 pandemic.
                        More importantly, our data showed that masks worn by non-HCWs can also effectively prevent the spread of respiratory viruses and reduce the risk of virus infection by 56% in non-household settings, indicating the potential benefits of wearing masks for the general public. Moreover, significant protective effects were found in the study conducted in the general population [17], indicating the potential benefits of wearing masks for the general public. Interestingly, a recent COVID-19 dynamics modeling study suggested that broad adoption of even relatively ineffective non-medical grade “social” masks may meaningfully reduce the community transmission and decrease peak hospitalizations and deaths during the current COVID-19 pandemic
                        Protective effects were also found among household settings showing a 40% reduced risk of RVIs. However, masking with prudent implementation and high compliance is a prerequisite to ensure the successful protection, which is practically challenging especially for non-HCWs. Two household studies included in our analysis reported low facemask adherence among household contacts [23,24], which might explain the poor protective effects from these studies. In contrast, Suess et al. reported a good compliance, which showed a significant protective effect [29]. These findings implicated that proper use of masks has an impact on the effectiveness of preventing RVIs.
                        The risk of influenza, SARS, and COVID-19 infection were reduced by 45%, 74%, and 96% by wearing masks, respectively, which were consistent with previous meta-analyses during the SARS outbreaks [9,53].
                        This is the study I posted earlier. It's actually a study ON studies. I hope you find it helpful. The nuts and bolts are contained inside.

T

Comment

If I put a mask over my junk (size: X-Large of course), I suspect it could protect against HIV.

T

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

Remember when "millions of people will die" was always preceded by "if we do nothing". We did something.
                            that is the mantra now, but no, it was not always preceded that way

Comment

his is the study I posted earlier. It's actually a study ON studies. I hope you find it helpful. The nuts and bolts are contained inside.

And it's 100% about N95 and similar masks which EVERYONE has agreed are very effective. The debate is over cloth masks.
                              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

And it's 100% about N95 and similar masks which EVERYONE has agreed are very effective. The debate is over cloth masks.
                                I did not know that.

T

Comment

Working...
                                X