Coronavirus 2019-nCoV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ta Town Shocker View Post

Are you referring to the cotton handkerchief? It looks like several of the masks catch a much higher percentage of the particles. I know the mask I've been wearing is much thicker than a handkerchief. Overall the consensus I'm getting from the study is they can be effective.
    Yes. I was referring to the cotton handkerchief, which is the only cloth mask they checked. The reason I brought this up is because The article states that surgical masks stop Coronavirus as the conclusion. How did they get there?

virus is - 0.1 um. Particle counter reads down to 0.007 um. There is a high percentage block of particles in the study. The problem is that the study pushed filtered air with 75 um particles through the mask. Cloth was 25% effective while surgical masks were 80% effective and n95 was 95% effective.

The same study could be performed using 0.1 um particles.
    Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
      It's been said - and accurate - that nobody's ever won a Facebook argument. The same is proving true for SN.

Anybody want to dispute that a few people are going to die because of Trump's campaign rally in Tulsa? OK is experiencing the highest infection increases they've ever had.

It would seem that supporting Trump's rally in Tulsa is supporting a few people dying if it gives Trump a chance to pack an arena. OK is not a swing state. It's a safe state for Trump. He's going to kill some people by holding that rally. They'll be mostly older and weaker people, so does that make it OK?
      It would seem that this is a ridiculous catastrophising statement. If someone is going to claim this, they must hold the same view for unorganized protests from the left.
      Livin the dream

Comment

• Happy Juneteenth everyone!

So glad it's Friday!!!

Let's all try to be positive today!

Comment

• Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post
          Happy Juneteenth everyone!

So glad it's Friday!!!

Let's all try to be positive today!
          I’m with you on the positivity! Honest question though:

I was aware of the Tulsa riots, but had never heard of Juneteenth before this month. Is this anyone else’s experience?
          Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

I was aware of the Tulsa riots, but had never heard of Juneteenth before this month. Is this anyone else’s experience?
            If you don't live in Texas (or even in the south) and are not black, you would probably have absolutely no awareness of it.

I know for several reasons, most importantly being that I live in Texas (in Houston) so it would have been hard to miss it. General Grainger made the proclamation in Galveston in 1865. It would seem as if it is well-preserved and I'm betting it is a historic site or a museum.

Secondly, I worked for the state of Texas in the late 80's up until 1997 and it was a holiday for us (along with confederate hero's day, which is no longer a holiday). Back then, we called it Emancipation day.

Note we also got LBJ's birthday as a holiday. We had a lot of holidays, but those holidays were given to state employees in lieu of raises when revenue was tight. Texas state employees are notoriously underpaid, when I left the department I got a 18K/yr raise, which was about 25% more than what I had been making at the time.

Comment

• Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post

If you don't live in Texas (or even in the south) and are not black, you would probably have absolutely no awareness of it.

I know for several reasons, most importantly being that I live in Texas (in Houston) so it would have been hard to miss it. General Grainger made the proclamation in Galveston in 1865. It would seem as if it is well-preserved and I'm betting it is a historic site or a museum.

Secondly, I worked for the state of Texas in the late 80's up until 1997 and it was a holiday for us (along with confederate hero's day, which is no longer a holiday). Back then, we called it Emancipation day.

Note we also got LBJ's birthday as a holiday. We had a lot of holidays, but those holidays were given to state employees in lieu of raises when revenue was tight. Texas state employees are notoriously underpaid, when I left the department I got a 18K/yr raise, which was about 25% more than what I had been making at the time.
              My goodness! I had no idea it was Texas emancipation day! I was told that the only significant thing that happened on that day was the Tulsa race riots.
              Livin the dream

Comment

• Learned about Juneteenth 15 years ago when I got a call to take my ballclub to play in the Juneteenth softball tournament at McAdams park. There were a couple of other white teams there, but they didn't stay around long. We took second. My worst experience with racism. Black TD, black umps, etc. Our home runs were miscounted or disallowed, our base runners were made to retreat, the strike zone and the foul lines varied from team to team. It was blatant and obvious. Some of them laughed. Some black players that I knew well, would hang their heads rather than look at me. They called back the next year to invite us back, and I politely declined.

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

Never hear of Juneteenth either until Google made it front and center when Trump had scheduled a rally on the same date. Nobody can keep up with American holidays anymore. There's literally one for every day of the week.

T

Comment

• Turns out the Tulsa race riots DIDN’T happen on Juneteenth. I guess that Trump isn’t supposed to speak anywhere on this date or anywhere that has had racial division. Learning so much these days!
                    Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

Never hear of Juneteenth either until Google made it front and center when Trump had scheduled a rally on the same date. Nobody can keep up with American holidays anymore. There's literally one for every day of the week.

T

Juneteenth never had anything to do with the Tulsa race riots. It commemorates June 19, 1865, when Union general Gordon Granger read federal orders in Galveston, Texas, that all previously enslaved people in Texas were free.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post

Juneteenth never had anything to do with the Tulsa race riots. It commemorates June 19, 1865, when Union general Gordon Granger read federal orders in Galveston, Texas, that all previously enslaved people in Texas were free.
                        Yep! I learned that today. I thought leftists were pissed about time and place together. Turns out they were pissed about time and they were pissed about place separately. It’s so easy to be pissed about nothing, that I missed the double prissiness of the nothingburger!
                        Livin the dream

Comment

• I had never heard of it until the last 2 weeks or so. I asked 3 employees, who happened to be black, and 2 employees who happened to be white, and none of them had ever heard of it.

I would suspect none of them are what we would call politically engaged.

It seems like maybe something that would be celebrated in Texas, but why the entire country would is all about politics. It clearly means little or nothing to a plurality of black Americans.

Comment

• Like I said, 15 years ago at McAdams, there was a softball tournament with teams from out of state, a parade, a BBQ, and a concert by Rudy Love and the Love Family

Comment

• I really, really, really, really hope that no infection spike can be attributed to this rally. Tremendous roll of the dice today.

In other news, it's just come out that Trump's forward rally team has 6 members testing positive. What's kind of funny/sad is, one of the reporters for Right Side Broadcasting Network who hadn't been wearing a mask is now wearing a beautiful, brand new N95. Maybe she's a believer now lol. I'm proud of the other two reporters who have been wearing a mask during the entire broadcast. The young gentleman explained that he's wearing the mask to protect his loved ones, several of whom are older and/or organ recipients.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/don...rally-n1231647

T

Comment

• Wow! Now the RSBN reporters are responding live to hate mail they are receiving for wearing the masks. Jesus these anti-mask mouth-breaking nutjobs make me embarrassed for my party.

T

Comment

Working...
                                X