Coronavirus 2019-nCoV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

If you’re sick enough that you’re coughing five times in a row you shouldn’t be at Wal Mart.
    Haven't I said that a dozen times already?
    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

The study we have been discussing the last two pages refers to what is on a mask after someone coughs 5 times in a row. It didn’t investigate the effects of simply breathing therefore its conclusions can only be applied to real life scenarios that closely mirror those that were observed in the study.
      But to be exact, I stated exhale, not cough. If I'm asymptomatic and exhale, I exhale the virus. I dont have to cough to spread the virus. The nice thing about covid is that it doesnt appear to stay aloft very long, so normal breathing doesnt transmit the virus effectively. That said, it doesnt fall straight to the ground, so an 8" exhale can cause transmission depending on drafts, how quickly spaces are filled by others, on and on.

What is also interesting is how many covid positive people have quarantined with their families, nobody wearing masks, and not transmitted. At the same time, some people quarantined using masks have transmitted.

This whole thing is a crap shoot. Based on much reading and discussions with people treating actual covid patients, I dont believe that masks do much good. I also believe that they can have unintended consequences. None of thos has anything to do with any political leanings. As I've said, if you want to wear a mask, go for it! Just dont make me.
      There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Then quote that. This particular post gave a real life type of example. Argue it on it's own merits.
        That’s what I did. I’m saying that this “real life type of example” made assumptions based on the findings of a study whose parameters don’t match the example. There is a difference between breathing and repeatedly coughing.

Comment

Sufficient for Covid as it pertains to what?

It would beat the nothing we currently have.
          As it pertains to going to sporting events, going to religious services, going out to eat normally, acting the same way we do during flu season every year?

There are a lot of segments of society saying they won't go out until there is a 100% effective vaccine or the infection rate hits 0. How realistic is that approach?
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post

But to be exact, I stated exhale, not cough. If I'm asymptomatic and exhale, I exhale the virus. I dont have to cough to spread the virus. The nice thing about covid is that it doesnt appear to stay aloft very long, so normal breathing doesnt transmit the virus effectively. That said, it doesnt fall straight to the ground, so an 8" exhale can cause transmission depending on drafts, how quickly spaces are filled by others, on and on.

None of thos has anything to do with any political leanings. As I've said, if you want to wear a mask, go for it! Just dont make me.
            Yes, you said exhale not cough which is why I made the comment. The study didn’t attempt to gauge the effectiveness of the barrier in regards to breaths. It was specifically five coughs at 8 inches. That is an important distinction and why I don’t think the study can necessarily be extrapolated to your example. I don’t need a scientist to tell me that a cough is going expel more particles at a longer distance and higher velocity than a breath.

I have specifically avoided anything political in this discussion. I have also not advocated mandatory masks.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

As it pertains to going to sporting events, going to religious services, going out to eat normally, acting the same way we do during flu season every year?

There are a lot of segments of society saying they won't go out until there is a 100% effective vaccine or the infection rate hits 0. How realistic is that approach?
              I have never believed that such an approach is realistic.

If we could get something similar to the flu vaccine for Covid I would get it and not think twice about doing any of the things you mentioned.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Yes. It seems that R of SK is more into controlling others. His totally untrue accusation that I relied on Fox News instead of listening to my personal doctor’sadvice on the reliability of masks is a good example of how he is right and everyone else must be wrong.
                And you are promoting anarchy. Until you become the victim of that anarchy. Then you would be the first one to scream about your rights being violated.

BTW, I do have a couple of risk factors and this is probably why I think everyone ought to follow their local elected officials advice about wearing masks. I hope your folks don't fall into high-risk groups because of one or more risk factors, and if they do, I hope you stay away from them so you can do as you please.

What spins my head is that I live in Texas, we are a very conservative bunch and even our governor, who thinks it is an individual's personal choice to wear a mask is suggesting that masks be worn.

Do your local elected officials feel the same way? I note a couple of elected officials in JoCo may align more with your opinions. How about Wichita?

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Eh. More road for me. Less traffic. Great for cycling, walking the dog, getting a seat on the swing set at the park. No waiting to check out at the grocery store. I get first pick of the puppies at the pet store. I get all the fresh bread at the bakery. If I was in high school, that's more girls for me that I have a better chance of going out with. No waiting to ride the roller coaster. And certainly no waiting to get my driver's license renewal - man does THAT suck. Better choice of seating at sporting events, concerts and movies. I'm OK with them staying home.

Comment

• Originally posted by JVShocker View Post

Eh. More road for me. Less traffic. Great for cycling, walking the dog, getting a seat on the swing set at the park. No waiting to check out at the grocery store. I get first pick of the puppies at the pet store. I get all the fresh bread at the bakery. If I was in high school, that's more girls for me that I have a better chance of going out with. No waiting to ride the roller coaster. And certainly no waiting to get my driver's license renewal - man does THAT suck. Better choice of seating at sporting events, concerts and movies. I'm OK with them staying home.
                    Agreed. I have a bicycle lane in my subdivision. It gets rather boring riding in circles, but it beats the heck out of anything else, and you're right, there are fewer people out, so it is easier/safer to ride.

Little off-topic, but you appear to be a downhill rider. Do you have a hardtail or a downhill? And judging from your response, I'm figuring you have multiple bikes. I have a ti hardtail, a ti cross and a folder (Dahon). Perhaps we can compare notes offline.

Comment

• Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post

Agreed. I have a bicycle lane in my subdivision. It gets rather boring riding in circles, but it beats the heck out of anything else, and you're right, there are fewer people out, so it is easier/safer to ride.

Little off-topic, but you appear to be a downhill rider. Do you have a hardtail or a downhill? And judging from your response, I'm figuring you have multiple bikes. I have a ti hardtail, a ti cross and a folder (Dahon). Perhaps we can compare notes offline.
                      Not long after I married (early 90s) I bought a Trek 1400 Road bike with Shimano Tiagra groupset and I LOVE this bike. Supremely comfortable, lightweight aluminum road bike. I've seen and taken test rides on other road bikes and racing bikes, and while they certainly feel fun and much faster and might be incrementally lighter in weight, they are much more sensitive handling-wise, and they're not as comfortable NOT IN ANY SHAPE OR FORM. As a bicycling enthusiast I've got at least 40,000 miles on the bike and it still looks brand new. I store it indoors and rarely ride in wet weather, although this past winter (mostly thanks to one of the best Tour de France races in many years) I spent a fair amount of time bicycling even when the temperature dropped into the low 30s. (this winter was a first for me, I hate cold weather) As far as type of rider, it depends on the day probably. I'm fairly tall so I'm not exactly built for great cycling. I LOVE riding on hot sunny days. 90 degrees and up and I feel like I'm in heaven. I am always looking for good hills to climb in the Wichita area, and there are a few short ones, but yeah, downhill is fun. The parking garage on WSU campus is a fun race to the top from a standing start. There's a short hill in east Wichita near Andover where I hit 45 mph downhill with an aero bar, but that was many years ago. I'm older and wiser and look forward to seeing the morning sun. LOL. My rides now are about being outside and enjoying music while I ride (wife bikes with me a couple of times a week).

PS...this wasn't my first bike. First real bicycle for me was a Ross, don't recall if it was steel or aluminum, but I had a Shimano groupset put on it and had a custom lightweight Arraya wheelset made for it. Guessing it was steel frame because it wasn't quite as noticeable going over bumps and cracks in the streets.

Comment

Not long after I married (early 90s) I bought a Trek 1400 Road bike with Shimano Tiagra groupset and I LOVE this bike. Supremely comfortable, lightweight aluminum road bike. I've seen and taken test rides on other road bikes and racing bikes, and while they certainly feel fun and much faster and might be incrementally lighter in weight, they are much more sensitive handling-wise, and they're not as comfortable NOT IN ANY SHAPE OR FORM. As a bicycling enthusiast I've got at least 40,000 miles on the bike and it still looks brand new. I store it indoors and rarely ride in wet weather, although this past winter (mostly thanks to one of the best Tour de France races in many years) I spent a fair amount of time bicycling even when the temperature dropped into the low 30s. (this winter was a first for me, I hate cold weather) As far as type of rider, it depends on the day probably. I'm fairly tall so I'm not exactly built for great cycling. I LOVE riding on hot sunny days. 90 degrees and up and I feel like I'm in heaven. I am always looking for good hills to climb in the Wichita area, and there are a few short ones, but yeah, downhill is fun. The parking garage on WSU campus is a fun race to the top from a standing start. There's a short hill in east Wichita near Andover where I hit 45 mph downhill with an aero bar, but that was many years ago. I'm older and wiser and look forward to seeing the morning sun. LOL. My rides now are about being outside and enjoying music while I ride (wife bikes with me a couple of times a week).

PS...this wasn't my first bike. First real bicycle for me was a Ross, don't recall if it was steel or aluminum, but I had a Shimano groupset put on it and had a custom lightweight Arraya wheelset made for it. Guessing it was steel frame because it wasn't quite as noticeable going over bumps and cracks in the streets.
                        That's why I have Ti. I weigh around 200, so I need the smoother ride. The area you're riding in is nice for some elevation changes as well.

With 40K miles on your bike, you maintain it well and take good care of it. With the pandemic, I'm riding about 75 miles a week because it's the only way I can exercise. Usually by now (and here in Texas) I start cycling my workouts indoors so I can cross-train on the eliptical. I'm OK until it gets up into the mid-90's, then I'm looking for a little cooler place, especially due to our long summers. When I'm indoors (and very occasionally outdoors) I can still hit a max HR of 170, but those days are fewer and further between.

Comment

• Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post

That's why I have Ti. I weigh around 200, so I need the smoother ride. The area you're riding in is nice for some elevation changes as well.

With 40K miles on your bike, you maintain it well and take good care of it. With the pandemic, I'm riding about 75 miles a week because it's the only way I can exercise. Usually by now (and here in Texas) I start cycling my workouts indoors so I can cross-train on the eliptical. I'm OK until it gets up into the mid-90's, then I'm looking for a little cooler place, especially due to our long summers. When I'm indoors (and very occasionally outdoors) I can still hit a max HR of 170, but those days are fewer and further between.
                          Before we had kids, I got to do a lot more cycling. It was easy peasy to hit 200 miles in a week - good rides were 40-50 miles a day. I'm about 6'3" and 210 lbs. I always wanted to do Triathlons, just never got around to it. My son did. He was an all State swimmer with opportunities to swim in college. He passed. He did do the triathlon thing. Won his first at the ripe old age of 14. He finished an Iron Man Triathlon as well....2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike (he used my bike), and the 26 mile run. He just laid in the street when he finished for probably 5 minutes. He took a couple of days off after for recovery.

Comment

• Did 63 miles on the bike today. Stopped by the med center to see my wife for a second. Took a photo or two of the trash can. This is what the medical community is doing with the masks.
                            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                            This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

• Four hours is more time than I usually have available. I can usually do 1-2 most weeknights. Weekends are far more relaxed with the wife in tow. I used to get that kind of average mph when riding out in the country. Anymore, I'm so nervous about cars and people who are texting that ALL of my routes are pretty normalized for as little traffic as possible even though its pretty inconvenient bicycling through residential neighborhoods and on bike paths to get where I want to go. From my location to the east side Warren Theaters (and a lot of bike paths near Andover) is almost 9 miles. Made it once in about 21 minutes. No chance I could ever do that again, though. I'm older and I'm terrified of texters. I can pinpoint at least one intersection on our side of town where two bicyclists were struck by a motorist on a Sunday morning, and I had been through the very intersection 1/2 hour earlier on my bike. One of them died. As they say....enjoy the ride (and keep safe).

Comment

Four hours is more time than I usually have available. I can usually do 1-2 most weeknights. Weekends are far more relaxed with the wife in tow. I used to get that kind of average mph when riding out in the country. Anymore, I'm so nervous about cars and people who are texting that ALL of my routes are pretty normalized for as little traffic as possible even though its pretty inconvenient bicycling through residential neighborhoods and on bike paths to get where I want to go. From my location to the east side Warren Theaters (and a lot of bike paths near Andover) is almost 9 miles. Made it once in about 21 minutes. No chance I could ever do that again, though. I'm older and I'm terrified of texters. I can pinpoint at least one intersection on our side of town where two bicyclists were struck by a motorist on a Sunday morning, and I had been through the very intersection 1/2 hour earlier on my bike. One of them died. As they say....enjoy the ride (and keep safe).
                                How is Wichita set up with bike paths? Omaha has been building and adding bike paths for the last 20 years. The route I took was all dedicated bike paths, three intersections total. I don't ride in streets. About took out three idiot kids today, when they ignored my announcement "passing to the left." Here is a screenshot of the Omaha bike trails ap. The green lines are concrete bike only trails, the orange are dedicated bike lanes on streets and the red is low volume streets with bike lanes. If there weren't bike paths, I wouldn't ride.
                                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Working...
                                X