Any news on Orukpe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
    I always thought that he'd have a valuable role. But I'll admit that he's a little more valuable than I thought. However, I remember some people predicting a double figure scoring average that was a pipe dream. Even so, he's improving with almost every game that he plays. If he just averages 6-7 points, 6-8 rebounds, and 4-5 blocked shots in his 20 minutes per game (or so), the remainder of the year, I'll be thrilled.
    He could very easily be averaging double figures in scoring over the latter games of the year. Just look at the trend. People continue to underestimate this man, and those people will usually be wrong. In short, don't bet against EO.

T

...:cool:

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerGorilla View Post
      What is the difference between an altered shot and a blocked shot? Is it more of a judgement call by the statistician?
      Somewhat. Blocks are tricky, and sometimes it is hard to tell if a shot has been physically affected by the defensive player.

When a shot is touched and deflected away from its path to the goal, it has been blocked.
      When a shot is NOT touched, but the presence of the defender forced the offensive player to try and change the trajectory, it has been altered.

So Orukpe alters shots whenever he lunges at an offensive player and makes them miss the shot on their own. He blocks that shot if the lunge was not enough and they need further help. Sometimes, statisticians cannot see clear physical contact between the defender and the ball, in which case they assume the shot was merely altered.

I know that some high schools (and NBA teams) keep track of altered shots, even if it isn't an official statistic, because it can be used in conjunction with blocks to get a more accurate picture of how much a player impacts the game defensively.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
        Tell me you didn't have doubts about him going into the year. The first 135 pages of this thread were somewhat crazy and unjustified. It is NOW, that EO has arrived and is making a case for himself. He's not gonna score 15 a game, but its the defense and rebounding he brings that makes him a potential, if not already, stud. He's finally coming on and I'm proud of him. The feeling of comfort overwhelms me when he's in there now.

But 140 some pages later, it's about time..
        And he provides nice occasional defensive help on the perimeter. (Just thought I would throw that morsel in.)
        "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerGorilla View Post
          What is the difference between an altered shot and a blocked shot? Is it more of a judgement call by the statistician?
          A blocked shot is an actual statistic. It means the defender touched the ball after leaving the shooters hand and the ball did not go in the basket. An altered shot is not a statistic. It's just something you notice as an observer, that the shooter, in an attempt to avoid having his shot blocked, shot the ball differently and subsequently missed.

Comment

• Just as 3G has his staff count deflections in addition to steals, it is not unthinkable to count "altered shots" in addition to blocks.
            "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
            ---------------------------------------
            Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
            "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
            "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• My expectations of EO coming into the season was that his offensive game would be just a little bit further along than it was. Not a lot, but that he might have a post move or two that looked less "hope and prayer" than what I've seen so far. It appears he's getting there as the season progresses, however.

I also expected him to have a problem staying on the floor due to fouls. He has improved dramatically in this area and is the reason he is having such a significant impact, I believe.

Comment

• As we saw with the Iowa game, he changed alot. Iowa attempted something like 4 shots in the paint? That's altering a shot in my opinion as well. They decided not to take the shots that they are used to.

Altering what players would normally do is what EO is best at. Psychologically I think he alters their game as well.

Comment

• I think it's funny when EO comes out to help on a screen and nearly chases the opposing 6'0" player out to half court with his 8 foot wing span. I'm really going to miss that about EO.

Comment

• EO seems to be putting his rebounds back in with higher efficiency. Thats nice. If he can do that, he will continue to inch closer to 10 pts a game. The next step is getting position to feed him in the post within the offense. We arent doing that at all. That is where we miss Hall.
                    "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Ehimen does a pretty good job of getting position. I guess the team just doesn't trust him enough yet. There have been times where I've been begging someone to throw him the ball.
                      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                        Ehimen does a pretty good job of getting position. I guess the team just doesn't trust him enough yet. There have been times where I've been begging someone to throw him the ball.
                        I thought that several times Sunday. He had a clear path to the hoop if they would have fed him.

Comment

• And his hands have appeared to be A LOT better.
                          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                            And his hands have appeared to be A LOT better.
                            They are. Lately, he just seems more comfortable and intuitive on the court. A lot of upside remains but the arrow is definitely pointing upward for EO.
                            Last edited by 1972Shocker; January 8, 2013, 06:22 PM.

Comment

• EO was such a defensive force vs. Bradley, as soon as he subbed out, I was longing for him to be right back in. Keep building on it EO. If he does and he can score a few points along the way, it could really help us immensly in terms of just how well we finish the Season. Add to that thought that Carl Hall, our best player this Season and a force inside, will be back in time followed by Baker the Maker.

Now for the exclaimation points. Early is never late and will only get better. Wiggins and Cotton will do the same. This team as a unit has NOT, I repeat, this team has NOT reached it's full potential yet. How do I know this? How many teams missing 3 starters, which includes their best player, keeps winning and improving on both sides of the court as a unit?, We never know from game to game as to whom the catalysts' will be? We are most definitly resilient as a team and floor burns do not stop the hustle we see for loose balls when the game is on the line or all game long.

Now the skeptics and our foes want to upend our turnip truck and will do all they can to rain on our parade. Even so, so far, there is something very special about this team. They have already surpassed what the multitudes deemed as even possible. Thus, we continue on, one game at a time. The adversity and forks in the road will continue. I can't accuratly predict the future but I like what I see. This could very well be a Season to remember. Can u dig it? Groovy gravy baybay!! Soo far, so good.
                              Last edited by forevershockerfan; January 8, 2013, 06:58 PM.
                              Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• Originally posted by forevershockerfan View Post
                                EO was such a defensive force vs. Bradley, as soon as he subbed out, I was longing for him to be right back in. Keep building on it EO. If he does and he can score a few points along the way, it could really help us immensly in terms of just how well we finish the Season. Add to that thought that Carl Hall, our best player this Season and a force inside, will be back in time followed by Baker the Maker.

Now for the exclaimation points. Early is never late and will only get better. Wiggins and Cotton will do the same. This team as a unit has NOT, I repeat, this team has NOT reached it's full potential yet. How do I know this? How many teams missing 3 starters, which includes their best player, keeps winning and improving on both sides of the court as a unit?, We never know from game to game as to whom the catalysts' will be? We are most definitly resilient as a team and floor burns do not stop the hustle we see for loose balls when the game is on the line or all game long.

Now the skeptics and our foes want to upend our turnip truck and will do all they can to rain on our parade. Even so, so far, there is something very special about this team. They have already surpassed what the multitudes deemed as even possiible. Thus, we continue on, one game at a time. The adversity and forks in the road will continue. I can't acccuratly predict the future but I like what I see. This could very well be a Season to remember. Can u dig it? Groovy gravy baybay!! Soo far, so good.
                                there are still some doubters lurking about, even here (rilaigh), and definitely some doubters outside of wichita. but for me, wichita state's best start since 1954, and still counting, speaks for itself. shox are underrated.. which i'm kinda' liking right now.

Comment

Working...
                                X