Any news on Orukpe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
    Also, GE guarding against EOs 10 footer puts him all of 6 foot from the basket. No way he can recover from that!
    Have you seen Williams going to the basket? That guy is fast.

EO's offense will never be his strong point. If he demonstrates that he can hit the midrange jumper, it is one more arrow in HCGM's quiver that he might or might not use. When there are five seconds left on the shot clock and somebody has to get open and shoot, I don't imagine a lot of people will block EO's 10' jumper; if he misses, maybe he gets the rebound at the basket?
    Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
    Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

• I can not believe you are serious!!!! Please tell me you are just jacking with me. He's a senior and he doesn't have a green light from outside of five feet. HCGM and EO both stated that he is NOT supposed to shoot that shot, and that being the case, I can't believe that HCGM is going to make it a point of emphasis to work on that during midseason practices.

Your sarcasm is going over my head isn't it?
      Livin the dream

Comment

Your sarcasm is going over my head isn't it?
        :D

Seriously, if we are ahead of Tulsa by 30 at the half (see footnote), will HCGM experiment a bit?

Footnote: I'm not predicting this but we have had several games where a lot of easy shots were missed and, with some better shooting, we could have been up big at the half. Look at our shooting vs VCU (20-57 35.1% and 3-19 15.8% from three) with Hall (6/15), Cottom (0/4 with 1 3PA), Williams (1/4 with 0 3PA). Hall seems like he misses some bunnies just like Stutz did last year.
        Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

HCGM and EO both stated that he is NOT supposed to shoot that shot
          I guess I missed those statements. HCGM knows from practice what EO can and cannot do. Coaches never mislead. Right?
          Watching the ISU/SIU re-run, Chris Lamb was interviewed during intermission and mentioned he had an injured player who was probably not coming back. Given who usually plays, I think he was referring to Sam Sanders, their right side that did really well against us last month. Sanders has been battling some shoulder issues and represents one less option available to Lamb tomorrow. Looks like Katie Reilly has been playing in her place up front and serving, with Jordan Hinkle playing in the back row. Capable, but not the same dynamic threat as Sanders.
          Well, Sanders is playing tonight. So either Lamb was referring to someone else, or was lying.
          in any case, UNI needs to step up their game, or this may very well be their final match of the year.

Of course, I never made a prediction on SN to which other posters reacted with vitriol and which was proven to be correct. Right? :D

Comment

• Originally posted by SpanglerFan316 View Post
            I guess I missed those statements. HCGM knows from practice what EO can and cannot do. Coaches never mislead. Right?
            I think the huge eyes followed by the coy smiles and laughter from HCGM after the made basket were telling enough that I can safely say it wasn't a ruse.
            Livin the dream

Comment

• 1. EO will never be an "offensive threat" for WSU.
              2. EO looked a lot smoother and more comfortable facing the basket (in his one opportunity) than he ever did with his back to the basket (in his thirteen other 2012-3 opportunities).
              3. EO will never be an "offensive threat" for WSU.
              4. EO will never be the first, second, third or fourth offensive choice for WSU.
              5. EO will never be an "offensive threat" for WSU.
              6. HCGM is every bit as tricky and devious as Chris Lamb.
              7. EO will never be an "offensive threat" for WSU.

Comment

• I guess you weren't kidding and have your mind made up. I hope it works out.
                Livin the dream

Comment

I guess you weren't kidding and have your mind made up. I hope it works out.
                  That EO will not be the focus of the offense but that, if HCGM thinks it is a good idea in a particular game (like Creighton or ILSU), EO will follow the coach's instructions and shoot one or two midrange shots? Yes.

Comment

• That shot looked good, and looked like he works on it. I still cannot believe that it looked good and that it went in.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                      That shot looked good, and looked like he works on it. I still cannot believe that it looked good and that it went in.
                      This right here. It looked natural and good and didn't just appear to go in by some luck. We all know he's not going to jack a bunch of mid range jumpers up, but I wouldn't mind seeing him shoot one or two a game, especially against weaker competition, to see if it can be a valuable asset. The THREAT of him being able to shoot it would be a very nice addition to the team. We all know he's playing mostly because of his D and rebounding, but having some threat to score only makes us that much better. Nobody is asking he becomes a vital cog in the offensive arsenal and shoots 10 times a game. I wouldn't mind seeing a few more of those jumpers though. It was quick and decisive and looked good.
                      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                        This right here. It looked natural and good and didn't just appear to go in by some luck. We all know he's not going to jack a bunch of mid range jumpers up, but I wouldn't mind seeing him shoot one or two a game, especially against weaker competition, to see if it can be a valuable asset. The THREAT of him being able to shoot it would be a very nice addition to the team. We all know he's playing mostly because of his D and rebounding, but having some threat to score only makes us that much better. Nobody is asking he becomes a vital cog in the offensive arsenal and shoots 10 times a game. I wouldn't mind seeing a few more of those jumpers though. It was quick and decisive and looked good.
                        I wonder, if EO has the ability to do an up fake and take it to the basket. I think he can, but I am not sure because I have never seen him do it.

I have seen him dribble the ball on the side at a pickup game and his skill level is much higher than many would believe.
                        "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Everyone here knows that EO could have a poor game against Tulsa or he could hit 5 or 6 midrange 10'-15' shots. Who knows? I hope HCGM allows EO to try some midrange shots when we are playing an overmatched opponent (like Tulsa) because it will open things up for him near the basket if opponents have to respect his "jump" shot. (Does EO even need to jump?)
                          While his ONE shot from outside of 5 feet did actually look good, I'll use his FT shooting as a barometer of his shooting ability. Personally, I'd rather see him work on developing an inside 5 ft offensive game before we start asking him to develop his "outside" game. Overall, I think he's showing progress on the offensive game (no deer in headlights look) and not trying to do more than he can. He actually look good and made good decisions (passing the ball weak-side) in the middle of Iowa's press the last game. We'll see how his progress goes the rest of the year.

Comment

• Originally posted by jrschh View Post
                            While his ONE shot from outside of 5 feet did actually look good, I'll use his FT shooting as a barometer of his shooting ability. Personally, I'd rather see him work on developing an inside 5 ft offensive game before we start asking him to develop his "outside" game. Overall, I think he's showing progress on the offensive game (no deer in headlights look) and not trying to do more than he can. He actually look good and made good decisions (passing the ball weak-side) in the middle of Iowa's press the last game. We'll see how his progress goes the rest of the year.
                            Everyone has an opinion and that is how it should be. My opinion might be different than your opinion. I wonder if "we" (fans? HCGM?) might (not definitely but possibly) be trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. This is pure speculation and probably wrong but EO might more naturally be a "facing the basket" player than a "back to the basket" player.

If EO is shooting midrange jumpers outside practice, I don't see a problem; once he graduates and leaves WSU, he will need to make his own way and it is possible that this might include an ability to hit midrange jump shots. Using FT shooting may not be a great guide for jump shooting skills. I don't think EO would be starting if he was doing things to which HCGM objected.

Comment

I don't think EO would be starting if he was doing things to which HCGM objected.
                              We're talking about 1 jumper in 6 games. I think HCGM doesn't have a problem w/ EO taking a jumper from time to time (neither do I, by the way). However, if he's taking "5 to 6" jumpers against Tulsa as you referenced, I think he'd quickly find his place on the bench.

I'm sure some on this board will think I'm EO hating, but he's still raw offensively. We need our 7 ft beast to be a beast from 5 ft in before he tries to start developing "outside" skills. He came here as a project and the last two games he's really starting to contribute w/ his defense regarding blocking shots, rebounding (7 vs DePaul and 8 vs Iowa) and intimidation.

I've actually been impressed to see that his BBIQ is starting to rise. I contribute that towards him starting to get comfortable being on the court and things are starting to "slow down" for him. Though, I'm sure he'll still have some set-backs.

He still has a ways to go to be an effective offensive player. If you watched the DePaul and Iowa games, not once did they sag down on him when he was on the block. Basically, right now, teams think they can guard him one-on-one on the block. It would be nice if he gets to the place that teams respect his post-up and feel they have to sag or double team him on the block. That will be more beneficial to the team than a 7 footer trying to hit 15 footers. I think if you did a poll of college coaches, most would say rather have the opposing team's 7 ft shooting 15 footers rather than posting up 2 or 3 ft from the basket.

Of course, that's just my opinion. Obviously, it differs from yours. Of course, the only opinion that really matters is HCGM.

Comment

• His 5 blocks and 8 rebounds (and several altered shots) are all that matter for this team. If he does that consistently, we're good. Everything else (offense) is gravy.

Comment

Working...
                                X