No announcement yet.

Any news on Orukpe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It is written that "he giveth and he taketh away". No wait, that's not about EO but it still may be true.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
      EO vs UNCC

6 pts + 7 rbs + 2 blocks + 1 steal - 2 turnovers = 14 in 16 minutes. I will take that from EO any day.

Hook shot didn't look good. He pushed it at the basket instead of shooting it, but I think that will come along as the season progresses and hopefully the game slows down a little for him.
      Noted...vs. NCC. I will be one of the first to celebrate in numbers similar to that vs. VCU, Tennessee, Creighton, UNI, ISU-Red, etc..

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOXMVC View Post
        Noted...vs. NCC. I will be one of the first to celebrate in numbers similar to that vs. VCU, Tennessee, Creighton, UNI, ISU-Red, etc..
        If nothing else, I think he will play more in those games. We had a lot of unorthodox lineups in the second half against NCC, but I think EO has earned his playing time against most teams. We'll see what he gets against VCU.

Comment

• Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post
          If nothing else, I think he will play more in those games. We had a lot of unorthodox lineups in the second half against NCC, but I think EO has earned his playing time against most teams. We'll see what he gets against VCU.
          VCU will be tough. What I hope for (i.e. a victory) and what I expect (no comment) against VCU may not be the same but I'll be rooting for the Shocks.

:poster_eo:
          Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
          Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

• Mr. Smart made a tactical coaching error tonight. YUP, he did. EO made a throw off the glass and I would of sworn he did NOT call it. Why didn't Shaka have the refs check that call for another 10 minute interlude? Then calmly, EO put in the next throw as well. In the end, we needed them throws baby!!!!!!!
            Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• Since when did refs start reviewing plays on coach's request?
              In the fast lane

Comment

• Originally posted by tropicalshox View Post
                Since when did refs start reviewing plays on coach's request?
                That was new to me too, but at least he lost a timeout for wasting our time.
                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                  That was new to me too, but at least he lost a timeout for wasting our time.
                  And as it turned out, there were several occasions, where he could have used that time-out, during the last minute of play. I am thinking particularly, after Reddic missed his first free throw attempt.
                  "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
                    I'm really happy with EO's progress.

He hasn't been a fouling machine.

His defensive presence cannot be overstated.

He hasn't been getting stripped of the ball down low.

He knows what to do when he gets the ball within a few feet of the basket (something I've been screaming at our big centers to do since the Paul Miller era).

After the team gels and players learn each others spots and habits, I suspect we won't see too many more "retard passing moments" like we saw last night.

Our coaching staff deserves a lot of credit teaching the big fella the game of basketball.
                    Saw a continuation of that progress last night against VCU. Solid analysis of why we should be optimistic about EO's play as the season progresses.
                    The fact that man is master of his actions is due to his being able to deliberate about them.-- Thomas Aquinas

Comment

• One thing I noticed last night was that VCU was running some high screens where our center had to come up and switch to the dribbler briefly. Hall got hung up on the screens a couple of times and didn't get back to his guy quick enough, which resulted in an uncontested layup. Orukpe gets back to his guy quicker and it's harder to get an easy shot off a pick and roll or other screening combo that takes the post defender up high.

This stuff happens pretty fast so maybe I'm not exactly catching all the action, but when the guy with the ball comes off the screen and sees Orukpe covering him, the dribbler tends to back off a bit from driving to the basket. When that happens, Orukpe takes about one and a half steps and is on his guy. Orukpe covers high screens and the switching better than any center we've had since at least Miller. I can't remember how well he defended that move.
                      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• “That’s what we identify with — playing defense and getting stops,” Orukpe said. “We had a horrible shooting percentage (against Virginia Commonwealth). What kept us in that game and kept us on top was playing defense.”
                        “It helps the team a lot when we can take on team defense and help hedge screens,” Orukpe said. “I’m not necessarily looking every time to block a shot. I have to pick and choose.”
                        I like freakishly athletic 7 foot shot-blockers who can talk like this.

T

...:cool:

Comment

• Can I get a bump up in this forum? He had Iowa peeing in their shorts. Too much fun....

Comment

• Orukpe looking better all the time. I hope the ankle issue at the end of the game was nothing.

Comment

• Who would have thought his best game yet would come against IOWA? A top 50 team from a BCS conference, are you kidding me?

Look out if he's starting to put it together. Points from inside 15' against us are about to become as common as four-leaf clovers.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                                Orukpe looking better all the time. I hope the ankle issue at the end of the game was nothing.
                                At least the schedule lightens up now if he needs some time to rest. We pretty much have a week between games from here on out till conference I think

Comment

Working...
                                X