Any news on Orukpe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
    BTW, it only takes 39 blocks to make it into the Shocker Top 10 for blocks in a season. The last three guys to make it into the Top 10 for blocks in a season all did it wiht 39 blocks.

P.J. Cousinard 2006-07
    Claudius Johsnon 1990-91
    Xavier McDaniel 1983-84

The Top 8 spost are held by 4 players:
    Wiley (#1 - 80)
    Robert Elmore (#2 - 69 and #4 - 56)
    Antoine Carr (#3 - 65, #6 -54, #7 -50 and #8 - 40)
    Terry Benton (#5 - 55)

Certainly EO has a great shot at making this list of some rather well known former Shockers.
    We had football while the top 8 spots were recorded! Coincidence? I think not.

On a serious note, and I'm a lot more serious about basketball than football, "changed shots" are more important than "blocked shots". If we truly do have several "shot changers" we could be a superb defensive team. However, if the team gets wrapped up in stats like "blocked shots" we have problems.
    OTOH if they decide to become "shot changers".........................watch out!

Explanation:
    An emphatic "blocked shot" is crowd pleasing and most of the young men playing this game today love to toss one back. That is certainly acceptable / commendable. However, when a basketball team begins to hunt for scalps it becomes a problem. Questions must be asked of the shot blocker; Did we foul? Did our defensive help side positioning suffer? Did we miss out on a box out assignment? Was it a help side blocked shot or an on man shot blocked?, Did the ball simply go out of bounds or to a teammate?. Who got possession of the ball? Did blocking the shot make winning the game become a secondary goal? This is similar to the love affair players have with dunking. While a dunk is simply the best way possible to insert the basketball into the rim when you have the leaping ability, it often becomes some sort of an exclamation point to a game, that for reasons I don't understand, transcends winning the game. Some sort of Sports Center top 10 plays "wow did I look good then" moment while receiving a 35 point "beat down".

I would caution my fellow lovers of our Shocks not to get caught up in stats like "shot blocking" as I believe it is "fools gold". The occasional emphatic blocked shot especially early in a game can be very good to demoralize an opponent. After that "changing shots" can be almost infinitely more effective.

Changed Shots..............wow. If you can get your entire team to understand the fine line between a shot changer and a shot blocker you might have something special.

Assists, my favorite stat however, is another category entirely. But alas for another time!

Go Shocks
    Bring it Back
    Who do we want to be?
    Who do we want to beat?

Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe.
    Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by Signman View Post
      We had football while the top 8 spots were recorded! Coincidence? I think not.

On a serious note, and I'm a lot more serious about basketball than football, "changed shots" are more important than "blocked shots". If we truly do have several "shot changers" we could be a superb defensive team. However, if the team gets wrapped up in stats like "blocked shots" we have problems.
      OTOH if they decide to become "shot changers".........................watch out!

Explanation:
      An emphatic "blocked shot" is crowd pleasing and most of the young men playing this game today love to toss one back. That is certainly acceptable / commendable. However, when a basketball team begins to hunt for scalps it becomes a problem. Questions must be asked of the shot blocker; Did we foul? Did our defensive help side positioning suffer? Did we miss out on a box out assignment? Was it a help side blocked shot or an on man shot blocked?, Did the ball simply go out of bounds or to a teammate?. Who got possession of the ball? Did blocking the shot make winning the game become a secondary goal? This is similar to the love affair players have with dunking. While a dunk is simply the best way possible to insert the basketball into the rim when you have the leaping ability, it often becomes some sort of an exclamation point to a game, that for reasons I don't understand, transcends winning the game. Some sort of Sports Center top 10 plays "wow did I look good then" moment while receiving a 35 point "beat down".

I would caution my fellow lovers of our Shocks not to get caught up in stats like "shot blocking" as I believe it is "fools gold". The occasional emphatic blocked shot especially early in a game can be very good to demoralize an opponent. After that "changing shots" can be almost infinitely more effective.

Changed Shots..............wow. If you can get your entire team to understand the fine line between a shot changer and a shot blocker you might have something special.

Assists, my favorite stat however, is another category entirely. But alas for another time!

Go Shocks
      Bring it Back
      Who do we want to be?
      Who do we want to beat?

Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe.
      Abraham Lincoln
      I agree. If you have a guy that blocks a lot of shots, I want it to be done the way Tim Duncan does it. Rarely are Duncan's blocks the huge rejection that goes into the third row (but keep possession with the shooting team). He keeps good defensive position and alters a bunch of shots and when he does block a shot, he often tips it to himself or a teammate, making it not just a blocked shot, but a change of possession.
      "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

• Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
        I agree. If you have a guy that blocks a lot of shots, I want it to be done the way Tim Duncan does it. Rarely are Duncan's blocks the huge rejection that goes into the third row (but keep possession with the shooting team). He keeps good defensive position and alters a bunch of shots and when he does block a shot, he often tips it to himself or a teammate, making it not just a blocked shot, but a change of possession.
        Love the way Duncan plays. Almost a Bill Russell.

The idea is not to block every shot. The idea is to make your opponent believe that you might block every shot.
        Bill Russell

Comment

• Originally posted by Signman View Post
          Love the way Duncan plays. Almost a Bill Russell.

The idea is not to block every shot. The idea is to make your opponent believe that you might block every shot.
          Bill Russell
          My very favorite Bill Russell quote:

Question: Can you block every shot?
          Bill Russell: Heck no, maybe 5 or 6 a game, but I get to choose which five or six.
          "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
          ---------------------------------------
          Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
          "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
          "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• I'm looking forward to people bumping this thread in ten years.
            Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
            Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

• Originally posted by SpanglerFan316 View Post
              I'm looking forward to people bumping this thread in ten years.
              You mean when he seals an NBA Championship with a huge swat and then a thunder dunk on the other end? :D
              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• He's going pro....no question.

Comment

• Looked outside earlier, and could see EO draining 3's from here. Shhhhh. Don't tell anyone.

Comment

• Bump!

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by Capitol Shock II View Post
                      He's going pro....no question.
                      Hey, if he can shoot the three the way DSB says, there's ABSOLUTELY no question.

Comment

• Did EO ever attend a big man's camp? And if not, why?

T

...:cool:

Comment

• No. I believe his school schedule conflicted with it. That is the last I heard anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
                            No. I believe his school schedule conflicted with it. That is the last I heard anyway.
                            That would be retarded on a couple different levels. Does EO like basketball? Does he even want to play in the NBA? Or does he just see it as a way to get a college education?

T

Comment

• Cold,

See WuDrWu post in the scrimmage thread.

PS. Put down the pipe.

Comment

• Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
                                Cold,

See WuDrWu post in the scrimmage thread.

PS. Put down the pipe.
                                That post doesn't answer my question. My question was to his ambition, his personal goals. I don't remember anybody every quoting EO on his basketball dreams. Regardless of how good he plays this year, his learning curve is far from maxed out. If he has the drive, he could continue to improve for many years beyond college. And he has the one thing that many people don't have in order to make it to the NBA.

P.S.

We'll see whose crack pipe burns the hottest within a couple months.

T

Comment

Working...
                                X