2016 Valley All-Conference Teams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
    Barry was picked 9th and finished 4th. Either that is a helluva coaching job or the prognosticators don't know their head from their azz.
    Perhaps a little of both but more heavily weighted to the latter IMHO.

Comment

• I am a lifelong SIU fan, and am admittedly not a fan of Wichita State. With that said, I feel for you guys. Hinson would not have even been on my top 3. SIU went 2-6 vs the top 4 teams in the conference, and 4 of those losses were blowouts. SIU finished the year poorly, going 4-5 in the last 9 games.

And as I said elsewhere: People-i.e. fans of other teams-like Hinson when he isnt their teams coach. He is an average at best in game coach(offensively, he is one of the worst at making defensive adjustments), cant recruit, and refuses to put anything resembling a decent non conference schedule together. From the outside, people just see/hear the folksy "gee, aww shucks" soundbites. When he is your teams coach, however, you are able to witness the entire mediocre package. Theres a reason he couldnt even find an assistant coaching job after being let go by Missouri State. If Hinson is the best you can do as a head coach that is a sad indictment of tour program. SIU isnt on the way up. They played one of, if not the, worst non conference schedules in NCAA. SIU's roster minus Anthony Beane has very little talent on it.

This is a sad day for SIU, as no doubt Hinson will try to use this to garner an extension.

Comment

• In defense of Todd Heifer-Man and some of his other colleagues it may be too much to expect them to know what a quality basketball coach and coaching performance is when they have been exposed to it so infrequently.

Comment

• The biggest negative I see in this outcome is not 3G not winning the award. No doubt it is a slight but nothing that will do anything but serve as motivation to the Shocker coaching staff and team.

However, the voters are sending a message to the NCAA selection committee that they think blasting through this league with a average margin of victory of 19.1 points and winning the league by 4 games is just not that big of an accomplishment in their eyes (I was going to say in their minds but they apparently have lost their friggin' minds).

OTOH SIU's average margin of victory of 0.1 was quite impressive.

Comment

• Imagine the irony within the MVC if WSU goes on a very deep NCAA run and Marshall got national coach of the year.

Comment

• Marshall gets penalized for bringing in top level talent and absolutely thrashing the conference.

Heffercan may have made his own grave. Not having Marshall in your top 3, but giving Jacobsen and Wardle the nod? lol, can someone tweet him and ask his reasoning for the other two choices?

By my count, there was one other ballot that didn't have Marshall on it. Am I right?
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• There is plenty of support for Marshall getting COTY on our board, and lots of disbelief over this travesty. As another board member and I were discussing privately, it's embarrassing to be an SIU fan right now. Marshall was left off those ballots for no other reason than spite. Those twits should have their voting privileges revoked.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                  He really scheduled up this year with a non-con SOS of 322.
                  Well, it was 346 the year before....

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                    Barry was picked 9th and finished 4th. Either that is a helluva coaching job or the prognosticators don't know their head from their azz.
                    He did teach his wife to shot fake.
                    "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                    -John Wooden

Comment

• I betcha Barry will give a shout out to Gregg Marshall and admit that Gregg should have won it. I can see that happening.
                      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• I love Hinson, and I thought he over achieved this year despite being embarrassed by the top teams in the conference. The MVC is desperate for the once mighty Salukis to return to relevance, so this plus Hinson's likability I think impacted voting.

But let's be real. The COY should go to the coach who did the best job in this particular season. I don't understand how winning the league by 4 games and absolutely crushing the rest of the league does not deserve COY.
                        "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• Meh, I got a feeling Marshall is still going to get a coaching award this year ... a GLORIOUS one.
                          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• wow what a snub! just looking at that guys face on twitter pisses me off.. he has a really punchable face. And then for him to blatantly lie like he didnt do it purposely...just ugghhh!!
                            Hows my post? send me feedback at 1-800-f$%k-off

Comment

• Originally posted by IdahoShocker View Post
                              Imagine the irony within the MVC if WSU goes on a very deep NCAA run and Marshall got national coach of the year.
                              As much I would like for that to happen, the national COY awards are usually decided on regular season performance as many of these are announced around the time of the Final 4. Now, some of them could happen later...it seemed like Jim Larranaga snagged an award or two after taking George Mason to the Final Four in 2006...but the prestigious ones (namely the AP award) are announced at the Final 4 and are basically decided by how a team does in regular season.
                              78-65

Comment

• Comment

Working...
                                X