Evansville game thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The 'hut View Post
    We all talk that (FVV) is not getting the calls he is expecting, but at what point do you then make your pass/shoot decision a couple of dribbles quicker, or do you continue to drive to contact, pressing to get a call?
    Cdizzle's comments about LeFred are right on, but hut's question is very legitimate, and it's one that will need to bre answered satisfactorily for WSU to get the most they can out of this season.

Meanwhile, it seems clear that LeFred isn't yet himself physically, because we know he's better on defense than he showed last night. Who knows -- maybe a little less driving all the way to the basket and getting pounded without getting a call for his trouble would help him have more energy to devote to staying in front of someone like Brown.

Comment

• Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
      Meanwhile, it seems clear that LeFred isn't yet himself physically, because we know he's better on defense than he showed last night. Who knows -- maybe a little less driving all the way to the basket and getting pounded without getting a call for his trouble would help him have more energy to devote to staying in front of someone like Brown.
      Coach answering Q about Fred on Brown ...
      https://youtu.be/aXqeR_pbyjw?t=4m37s

Comment

• I agree with those who think Fred and Ron had sub-par games. No doubt there were multiple factors contributing to that which IMO would include some credit given to the Evansville team. I suppose the silver lining is that we still won the game against a good team despite not getting typical performances from Fred or Ron. In fact, that might suggest we are seeing some growth and development from the rest of the guys.

I do think we are a better offensive team when we are sharing the ball, moving and making everyone on the floor part of the package in whatever way they can best contribute. When the ball gets sticky, even in the hands of an outstanding player like Fred we seem to bog down.

If I recall we had a similar circumstance in the Seton Hall game. The good thing is this can, and I think will, be addressed and appropriate adjustments made.

Furthermore, it is not just talent that make Fred and Ron the players they are. Their great competiveness and desire to win are key components of what drives them and that will serve them well bouncing back beginning with SIU on Saturday.
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; January 7, 2016, 07:39 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
          While I agree with what you're saying, I believe it's the NCAA bosses (and their TV bosses) that pay the bills in the long run, and if the officials want to referee the march/april games, they will fall in line with the higher ups. The change has to come from way above the game day officials heads. It's kind of like the "mandate" of the rules to get back to freedom of movement of the "good old days." If they don't mandate AND ENFORCE that the calls not be swayed toward certain players, they always will be.
          That's really what I was trying to say. If they can't enforce the rule book, the whole system needs to be changed. Right now it appears there is a rule book that they post for the public to see then a private set of guidelines on when to actually enforce those.

Comment

• The last two seasons Fred has taken .481 FTA/FGA.

This year he is taking .402 FTA/FGA.

Pretty sure that Fred is (a) not taking less contact than the last two seasons, and (b) there was supposed to be some fancy 'freedom of movement' emphasis to help drivers.

To my earlier point, historically, 26% of FVV's points have come from the FT line, but that number is 35% in NCAA play, where he shoots .51 FTA/FGA. Fred may be forcing a few more times this year, but he's being rewarded for his efforts at a significantly lower clip during a year of rules emphasis when we could expect him to be rewarded more ​frequently.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topshock View Post
              This is exactly what happened!
              Agreed.

That is all.
              Above all, make the right call.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                The last two seasons Fred has taken .481 FTA/FGA.

This year he is taking .402 FTA/FGA.

Pretty sure that Fred is (a) not taking less contact than the last two seasons, and (b) there was supposed to be some fancy 'freedom of movement' emphasis to help drivers.

To my earlier point, historically, 26% of FVV's points have come from the FT line, but that number is 35% in NCAA play, where he shoots .51 FTA/FGA. Fred may be forcing a few more times this year, but he's being rewarded for his efforts at a significantly lower clip during a year of rules emphasis when we could expect him to be rewarded more ​frequently.

"Freedom of movement" has hurt Fred. Previously, when you could use you hands, defenders would have to grab/push to combat his quick first step. This year Fred is (and he is a master of it) "jumping into" the help defenders underneath and getting splattered.
                A lot of refs frown on that. The play that was replayed 10 times last night was a perfect no call. Big guy went straight up and Fred jumped into him. Real time motion and its a horrible call for Fred.

The refs are being talked to by the opposing coaches to watch for Freds jump into,and also Ron's push off with his left arm on his step back jumper. Gregg does the same thing. Price of fame.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfanmas View Post
                  Right, you hit the nail on the head. You want change, gotta go to the higher ups . I want to work postseason so whether I like it or not, I'll call it the way and uses the philosophies I need to use to get me there.
                  So, basically, you're saying that you'll do whatever you have to do, amongst the "philosophies" in order to what get you want whether it's for the betterment of the game or not? That's sort of sad. It's also dishonest and against the spirit of sport. Don't let me ever hear you complain about politicians, lawyers, real-estate agents, or used car salesmen.
                  Last edited by Singeril; January 7, 2016, 03:47 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Obvious View Post
                    The play that was replayed 10 times last night was a perfect no call. Big guy went straight up and Fred jumped into him. Real time motion and its a horrible call for Fred.
                    Just to make sure I understand what you are saying, are you saying that call was correct? If so, I ask why that little arc is on the floor. Even if E-Mock maintained verticality, being inside the arc eliminates that and makes it a block. That should have been his fifth foul. I was on the other side of the court and didn't get a great look at it. Seeing the replay makes me even more furious, especially with what happened on the very next possession with Zach Brown's "foul" on Balentine, which had MUCH LESS contact.
                    78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by boltforge View Post
                      Coach answering Q about Fred on Brown ...
                      https://youtu.be/aXqeR_pbyjw?t=4m37s
                      Immediately before this, Gregg was asked what Conner does in practice that he doesn't in games, and he said "play basketball." Then he made a comment about Conner's nickname being "More." Anybody have insight as to this and what he means?
                      "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                      ---------------------------------------
                      Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                      "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                      "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

"Freedom of movement" has hurt Fred. Previously, when you could use you hands, defenders would have to grab/push to combat his quick first step. This year Fred is (and he is a master of it) "jumping into" the help defenders underneath and getting splattered.
                        A lot of refs frown on that. The play that was replayed 10 times last night was a perfect no call. Big guy went straight up and Fred jumped into him. Real time motion and its a horrible call for Fred.

The refs are being talked to by the opposing coaches to watch for Freds jump into,and also Ron's push off with his left arm on his step back jumper. Gregg does the same thing. Price of fame.
                        Are you talking about this!!!

Mock starts chasing Fred from outside the FT line, jumps at him from outside the outer arc, lead arm comes down across Fred, and Mock lands inside the inner arc. There was nothing straight up about it.

Comment

• Correct me if I'm wrong but being inside the arc does not automatically make it a block. I think there are other nuances to the rule that can come into play.

Regarding Zach's last foul. What really irritated me was that the official making the call was not in position to do so. Unless he has X-ray eyes.
                          Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                            Immediately before this, Gregg was asked what Conner does in practice that he doesn't in games, and he said "play basketball." Then he made a comment about Conner's nickname being "More." Anybody have insight as to this and what he means?
                            The nickname of "more" is because he's so timid on the court in comparison to practice. He want's MORE shots, MORE aggressiveness, MORE driving, etc. Conner has the green light from 3G, he is just sitting in the intersection right now until he's ready.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                              Are you talking about this!!!

Mock starts chasing Fred from outside the FT line, jumps at him from outside the outer arc, lead arm comes down across Fred, and Mock lands inside the inner arc. There was nothing straight up about it.
                              It’s pretty ‘obvious’ Mr. Obvious has ‘Bubble’ vision…

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I hope for the sake of your sanity that this post is a result of substances that have been determined to be illegal in some states.
                                "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Working...
                                X