Evansville game thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
    Kind of off topic, but I messed around with some RPI numbers on RPIForecast in regards to Evansville and their poor scheduling

Evansville is currently sitting at 12-3 RPI 85, and SOS 257

If they were to drop the 3 games they played against SWAC teams (Alabama St, Miss. Valley St, and Alabama A&M) and add Away buy games with 3 good not great Power 5 teams (I chose Indiana, Cal, and Florida St.) and lose all 3 of those games they would be:

9-6, RPI 43, SOS 79.

They would be in contention for an at-large bid, with 6 losses ... Right now they have no chance with 3 losses. On top of that, they would actually probably make money from having 3 away buy games. If they happen to win one of those games (say FSU), they would have a sub 30 RPI.
    It continues to amaze me how such an archaic and clearly flawed system has a prominent role in CBB.

Comment

• Originally posted by boltforge View Post
      Could you do the same with SIU? Be interesting to know how they would look as well.
      Sure. Currently they are 14-2, RPI 97, SOS 284

With the same criteria as UE (I dropped Florida A&M, SE MO St, and 1 of the N Texas Games and added Indiana, Cal, FSU). It goes to:

11-5 RPI 72, SOS 146

Win against FSU moves it to:
      12-4 RPI 51

So not as big of movement as UE, but that's because even without those 3 games their SOS is still bad.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocker3 View Post
        Has the band played the "low brass cheer" even once this year during a heated time out? That is the kind of thing we need during time outs to help keep the crowd pumped up.
        Actually, they did play through an entire timeout once during the 2nd half of the Evansville game and crowd did a good game of staying with it throughout the timeout (and not it was not a 30 second timeout).

Comment

• They still have the WSU vs Evansville game pulled off of WatchESPN. I was hoping to watch it again tonight.

Comment

They still have the WSU vs Evansville game pulled off of WatchESPN. I was hoping to watch it again tonight.
            I don't think it was ever available on ESPN.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
              All (or nearly all) Shocker games broadcast locally but not nationally have been available via WatchESPN aka ESPN3 for the last two or three seasons.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                It was online from just after the game to the next morning (I missed the game and watched it after I got home at 10pm). Then it was pulled the next morning.

Comment

It was online from just after the game to the next morning (I missed the game and watched it after I got home at 10pm). Then it was pulled the next morning.
                  Interesting and unusual.

Comment

• Higgins must have seen it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                      Higgins must have seen it.
                      They are currently editing it. They had to remove those unneeded moments of basketball gameplay. They replaced it with slo-mo's of Higgins great moves on his calls.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                        They are currently editing it. They had to remove those unneeded moments of basketball gameplay. They replaced it with slo-mo's of Higgins great moves on his calls.
                        Slo-mo of Higgins' hair flowing ...
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                          My co-worker and I said, believed then and still believe today, that playing "War" when Pitino took his next to last timeout in the National Semi Final game was the kiss of death.

While the BELTING out of that song sent shivers down my spine in an 80000 seat arena, I blame that for the loss almost as much as the pass to Orupke. More even.
                          Surprising, Doc -- I'm guessing you're old enough to have attended the legendary Iowa NCAA tournament game, and one of the great things about that day was the band's effort to fire up the crowd and players. They played the Low Brass cheer with the Shocks on a six point run as they started their comeback early in the second half, even through Iowa was still UP NINE. The fans got even louder than they were already, and it certainly didn't seem to help the Hawkeyes stem the tide that time.

Comment

• Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
                            Surprising, Doc -- I'm guessing you're old enough to have attended the legendary Iowa NCAA tournament game, and one of the great things about that day was the band's effort to fire up the crowd and players. They played the Low Brass cheer with the Shocks on a six point run as they started their comeback early in the second half, even through Iowa was still UP NINE. The fans got even louder than they were already, and it certainly didn't seem to help the Hawkeyes stem the tide that time.
                            My dad was at that game and he said it's the loudest he'd ever heard Levitt Arena.
                            "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
                              Indeed I was there. Insane amount of people in attendance. Those were the 10666 days...I'd guess 11200 were there. Most aisles were full up high. Packed in like sardines. Fire Marshall had to be hot.

And yes it was ear bleedingly loud.

There's a little difference between "war" during a timeout at the 12 minute mark of a game where there are about 5k WSU fans out of 80k and "Low Brass" DURING LIVE ACTION PLAY AT HOME in a round of 32 contest.

Comment

• I remember that game well. I was in my last year of undergraduate study at a school in Illinois and had just made the decision to attend WSU for graduate school. I was glued to the television and couldn't believe the crowd--and Randy Smithson's free throws. I was made even happier 5 days later (66-65).

Comment

Working...
                                X