2015-16 Media love thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ArtVandalay View Post
    It's just...he moved Maryland UP to number 1 AND led with Trimble in the rationale.
    While I agree that Maryland shouldn't be #1, his actual reason for moving them upward, when you read his whole analysis, is the transfer of Sulaimon from Duke. This reason doesn't do much for me either, considering that adding someone who got kicked off another team is a potential problem of its own, but the upward move was not about Trimble, even if he doesn't modify expectations for Trimble based on the Pan Am Games.
    "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by ArtVandalay View Post
      It's just...he moved Maryland UP to number 1 AND led with Trimble in the rationale.
      Maryland is good but won't be #1 IMO. They lost their heart and soul in Dez Wells. He was easily their toughest player. They add a decent big from a bad team and a multi accused sexual assaulter from Duke and these parts could turn out great like "zip em up" Wells did but these kinds of transfers are risks that don't always come up aces. They will also be scouted much in better league play this year and won't enjoy a weak at the top like league like last year. I think they will compete for the Big Ten championship but it will be tight.
      Last edited by Bentley; August 5, 2015, 07:59 PM.

Comment

#9 seems fair. Oklahoma is the only team I think should be behind us. 7-10 seems like where we should be with some of the questions with the front court.

Trimble is still young. FIFA basketball is a completely different game than NCAA. The young man wasn't very good going up against grown men who were allowed to basically be as physical as they wanted. That doesn't mean he won't be good against 19 year olds who aren't allowed to push him around. We are all a little jaded because he made the team over FVV (which was clearly a mistake), but to say he's complete trash is a little bit of an exaggeration lol. Look at the kids numbers last year. He's obviously not trash. He is just not FVV good.

Comment

Originally posted by Jhook89 View Post
          #9 seems fair. Oklahoma is the only team I think should be behind us. 7-10 seems like where we should be with some of the questions with the front court.

Trimble is still young. FIFA basketball is a completely different game than NCAA. The young man wasn't very good going up against grown men who were allowed to basically be as physical as they wanted. That doesn't mean he won't be good against 19 year olds who aren't allowed to push him around. We are all a little jaded because he made the team over FVV (which was clearly a mistake), but to say he's complete trash is a little bit of an exaggeration lol. Look at the kids numbers last year. He's obviously not trash. He is just not FVV good.
          I don't think he's trash. I just don't think he's a point guard.
          "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
            Boom. Not in college, anyway.

All I know is when you stood one of the WSU guards up next to Trimble, one of them played ball, and one of them tinkled down their leg.

And I still say that wasn't WSU's best guard.

Comment

I think Maryland will be a solid team and I think Trimble is a good college shooting guard. I don't think Trimble is a good point guard at any level, but that's the position he'll be forced to play. I have no problem with our ranking at number 9. There is always a question of size and productivity down low, and that is again the case. I hope Grady can be a solid contributor, but I hope he's not forced to play the 5 with a smaller 4, as I don't think that's his game. I think Carter was hurt by having to play the 5 instead of his more natural 4.

Comment

I'll go ahead and say it. Trimble is trash. This is just based off what I've seen of him in the little that I did. Until he proves otherwise, that guy can be compared to hot garbage for all I care.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                  I'll go ahead and say it. Trimble is trash. This is just based off what I've seen of him in the little that I did. Until he proves otherwise, that guy can be compared to hot garbage for all I care.
                  Well I'm glad you like to do research and be well informed before making decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
                    I could go along with that. He's definitely not a true pg. More of a scoring pg. Most of his offensive scoring stats are very impressive. Scores a lot and also shoots a very good percentage. His A/T ratio definitely isn't impressive, but he's at least positive.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                      Boom. Not in college, anyway.

All I know is when you stood one of the WSU guards up next to Trimble, one of them played ball, and one of them tinkled down their leg.

And I still say that wasn't WSU's best guard.
                      Not WSU's best PG, best guard might be debatable.

Comment

Originally posted by Jhook89 View Post
                        Well I'm glad you like to do research and be well informed before making decisions.
                        I'm glad that you're glad.

I make decisions based on what I've seen. I don't care that it was against the Puerto Rican National Team (which was atrocious btw).

I'll pay better attention to your boy this winter and report my findings back to you.
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                          I'm glad that you're glad.

I make decisions based on what I've seen. I don't care that it was against the Puerto Rican National Team (which was atrocious btw).

I'll pay better attention to your boy this winter and report my findings back to you.
                          Haha I don't even like the kid. He's not my kind of PG. Calling him trash after watching him play sparingly in 3 games with players he's never played with in a league that is completely different than what he normally plays in though makes you look ignorant and unintelligent.

If you want to say another player was my boy, besides Baker and FVV obviously, I'd go with Monte Morris. Love the kids style and surprised he was cut from the team. I thought him and FVV would have been the 2 pg chosen.

Comment

For comparison's sake...(2014-2015 stats per KenPom)

Player eFG% Assist Rate 3PT% Steal % FT%
                            Fred Van Vleet 49% 35.3 36.7% 3.9% 79.6%
                            Melo Trimble 53.4% 21.2 41.2% 2.3% 86.3%

I'd still probably go with FVV, but Trimble is most definitely not garbage. FVV being a more traditional point guard and Trimble being a scoring-minded point guard.
                            "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

With the NCAA season on the horizon, I dig into putting together a five-man lineup projection for this year's Preseason All-American First Team.

FVV picked for their first team all-american

Comment

Originally posted by wushock27 View Post
                                http://hoopshabit.com/2015/08/03/nca...m-projections/

FVV picked for their first team all-american
                                As he should be. Watched the video of FVV. It was bittersweet, showing his greatness (best player on the floor that day), while the score just kept sliding in the wrong direction. Although I don't think it will happen very often, because of who he is and how he plays (unselfishly), Fred could score 20 per game with regularity, and could very easily go for 30 on occasion. I can't wait to see what he and the rest of the guys bring to the floor this season.
                                "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Working...
                                X