The Annual HCGM's WSU Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by UofMemphis View Post
    you seem very combative...please feel free to not respond to my posts, and I hope you guys get into the AAC to offset Navy football only.

good day.
    I'm not mad at all. You just seem confused about the numbers coming out of your camp on the JP move.

You're more than welcome here. You've never annoyed me.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
      Not trying to sound like a dick or anything, but once the accomplishments of your cheating teams are omitted (otherwise known as what's actually reported in the record books) Memphis basketball has one less Final Four, literally the same number of Elite Eights and Sweet Sixteens, and just three more wins in the tournament, as compared to Wichita State basketball.
      please, Calipari could only match what Gene Bartow did back in 1973...get Memphis to the NCAA title game.

The 70s feature an NCAA runner-up with Gene Bartow and Larry Finch...the 80s have a Final Four with Dana Kirk and Keith Lee...in the 90s Larry Finch returned as coach to lead Penny Hardaway and Elliot Perry to a Sweet 16 and Elite Eight...and of course what Cal did the 2000s

Memphis basketball has 4 decades of success, and is a known hoops power/name...we are much more than John Calipari and his CUSA days.

Comment

• Originally posted by BasketballJones188 View Post
        Memphis fan here. I come in peace. I agree with the other Memphis poster. You're doing something right if all of these programs want your coach. I won't lie, I want him bad. But it's no secret that Memphis would be a re-build right now. When Pastner took over, he was handed the keys to a Lamborghini. And he proceeded to turn it into a Civic. But with that said, with the advantages that Memphis has, it wouldn't take Marshall long at all to get it revving again. Memphis, and the south in general, is a recruiting hotbed. Heck, as bad as Pastner was (he also is not the great recruiter that people think he is) he landed top 5 recruiting classes at Memphis a few times. Multiple 5 star players. The Memphis name got those kids. Not Pastner. Combine the Memphis name with Marshall as coach, and he could compete for titles year in and year out. No doubt he can compete for titles at Wichita State, too. But it may be a tad harder. As far as facilities, we play in an NBA arena, and have a brand new, state of the art basketball practice facility going up. Despite what some think, we can pay almost anything. FedEx, Wal-Mart, etc owners all are Memphis boosters. We've slashed our athletic budget towards basketball the last 2 years as a way to make Pastner uncomfortable. Got to do what you've got to do. ESPN ranked Memphis as the 19th best program of all time. Throughout our history, pretty much any halfway competent coach has made multiple sweet 16's, multiple elite 8's, final fours, and title games.

After reading through my post, it does come off as a post to show off Memphis. And that wasn't my intention. Just stating what would be intriguing to Marshall. I agree with UofMemphis, though. I think we end up with Steve Forbes. He would be a great hire
        To follow up your analogy, if he was handed the keys to a Lamborghini, it's because Calipari stole it! I remember watching Memphis beat WSU (they may have been Memphis State then) in the 1980's; thought they had a good team then. BUT, I don't see the program as inherently better than WSU now nor in the future. Most college BBall fans know their own school history well, but are shaky on other schools; I admit the same for Memphis, but probably most don't realize the tradition at WSU. It didn't start with Marshall.

Comment

please, Calipari could only match what Gene Bartow did back in 1973...get Memphis to the NCAA title game.

The 70s feature an NCAA runner-up with Gene Bartow and Larry Finch...the 80s have a Final Four with Dana Kirk and Keith Lee...in the 90s Larry Finch returned as coach to lead Penny Hardaway and Elliot Perry to a Sweet 16 and Elite Eight...and of course what Cal did the 2000s

Memphis basketball has 4 decades of success, and is a known hoops power/name...we are much more than John Calipari and his CUSA days.
          While that's correct, his numbers and comparisons were correct when comparing WSUs post season success to Memphis (per the official records)

Comment

Does that change the metrics I referenced?

We recently lost some history for our baseball team due to NCAA infractions. Those teams' accomplishments have been rendered moot, and references to what they did removed from our facilities.

Comment

And this proves my point; lots of facts about Memphis without realizing WSU has similar history.

Comment

• Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post
                And this proves my point; lots of facts about Memphis without realizing WSU has similar history.
                at what point did I do any comparison to WSU?

I don't see WSU as a threat, and wish y'all nothing but success (unless you play us)

I just happen to like your coach...

Comment

Memphis is a far better job than MTSU or Vandy...we paid Cal almost 2.5 million, and paid Pastner almost 3 million...money isn't the issue.

don't be mad at Memphis for wanting to better itself...you should flattered that we covet your HC...means you're doing something right.
                  I was making a geographical point. I wasn't comparing the Memphis/MTSU programs. That would be absurd.

No one's mad at Memphis. No one was mad at Vandy either. It's just you have to know your limits and realistic expectations. Several media members definitely don't, which has nothing to do with you.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• ******* is right. Looking at it from the outside, Memphis is a better job in most respects. That doesn't mean Coach will jump for it, but you damn well better believe that he and Lynn are discussing the "what if" right now as we speak.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                      ******* is right. Looking at it from the outside, Memphis is a better job in most respects. That doesn't mean Coach will jump for it, but you damn well better believe that he and Lynn are discussing the "what if" right now as we speak.
                      Not for Memphis they aren't.
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Memphis has football.

Memphis is not in the MVC.

Memphis is a real city.

Memphis has Graceland.

Memphis > WSU

-- Signed 'Outsider'

BTW, Elvis is awesome!
                        "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
                          Memphis has football.

Memphis is not in the MVC.

Memphis is a real city.

Memphis has Graceland.

Memphis > WSU

-- Signed 'Outsider'

BTW, Elvis is awesome!
                          2 is the only one that can sway Marshall ... Well maybe 4, if they GIVE him Graceland

Comment

• Wait Steve Forbes that just went to etsu?
                            I hope he stays at etsu and builds them up

Comment

• Jeff ******* ‏@GoodmanESPN · 1m1 minute ago

Deal is officially done. Josh Pastner is the coach at Georgia Tech, sources told ESPN.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                                Jeff ******* ‏@GoodmanESPN · 1m1 minute ago

Deal is officially done. Josh Pastner is the coach at Georgia Tech, sources told ESPN.

FUUUUUCK

Comment

Working...
                                X