Clear All

• I am certain you gave them smile @Rixtoy1:
    “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

• Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
      How about a tee shirt

ROLL MARSHALL
      Back to CKA
      I feel like such a shirt would be better designed for Marty Simmons.

Because he's fat.
      Originally posted by BleacherReport
      Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

• Originally posted by DJ06Shocker View Post
        You've got it backwards. They were that desperate and he let them come since they insisted. There was no recruiting being done on our campus. It was a humoring of the offer. Marshall was never going anywhere. He said "don't bother" according to media outlets and I would imagine the Alabama AD responded by saying "Just hear me out, I will come up there."

He insisted.

I may indeed have it backwards. Yet, as an outsider, it just seemed very strange that the negotiation happened in Wichita (even if not on campus) and with everyone's knowledge.

Regardless, it seems that everyone got what they wanted . . . except Alabama . . . and that is good!

Comment

• Gregg Marshall Money: What does $3.3M at Wichita equal elsewhere?

When Gregg Marshall agreed to remain at Wichita State last week, CBS Sports' Gary Parrish reported he'd receive a new seven-year contract worth an average salary of $3.3 million per season -- already an eyebrow-raising figure that will place Marshall among the highest-paid coaches in college basketball.

But place that $3.3 million in the context of the Shockers' athletic budget and the Missouri Valley Conference as a whole, and forget "eyebrow-raising" -- it's enough to pop the eyes clear out of one's head. Per US Department of Education's figures, available here, Wichita State's reported total athletic expenses for 2013-2014 (the most recent available) were $21,842,821. Though obviously that total will increase once Marshall's salary is accounted for come the 2015-2016 university year, at that number, Marshall's $3.3 million would have accounted for a whopping 15.11 percent of the Shockers' entire athletic budget.

Comment

• Originally posted by KUhater View Post
            I may indeed have it backwards. Yet, as an outsider, it just seemed very strange that the negotiation happened in Wichita (even if not on campus) and with everyone's knowledge.

Regardless, it seems that everyone got what they wanted . . . except Alabama . . . and that is good!
            I think it signaled two things:

1. Marshall wasn't pursuing this job, Alabama was pursuing him. Marshall was willing to listen, but he wasn't going to go to Alabama, they had to come to him. This is why it was in Wichita.

2. Everyone knew about it because Alabama made the choice to make their pursuit of Marshall very public. I'm not sure that it was a smart strategy, since it makes him turning you down very public as well, but my guess is that they did it A) to show their fan base they were swinging for the fences which they needed to do after Auburn got Pearl, B) thought that making it public that Marshall was their priority would be appealing to Marshall, and C) didn't really imagine the possibility of Marshall turning down over $4 million.
            "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

• Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
              I think it signaled two things:

1. Marshall wasn't pursuing this job, Alabama was pursuing him. Marshall was willing to listen, but he wasn't going to go to Alabama, they had to come to him. This is why it was in Wichita.

2. Everyone knew about it because Alabama made the choice to make their pursuit of Marshall very public. I'm not sure that it was a smart strategy, since it makes him turning you down very public as well, but my guess is that they did it A) to show their fan base they were swinging for the fences which they needed to do after Auburn got Pearl, B) thought that making it public that Marshall was their priority would be appealing to Marshall, and C) didn't really imagine the possibility of Marshall turning down over $4 million.
              Add D) Bama didn't see Wichita State putting up 3.3 M. so they probably thought it was a done deal. If they get him, great publicity.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                Add D) Bama didn't see Wichita State putting up 3.3 M. so they probably thought it was a done deal. If they get him, great publicity.
                To be honest I don't think the majority of Shocker fans expected Wichita State to come up with that kind of compensation package either. I admit that I did not expect that.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                  To be honest I don't think the majority of Shocker fans expected Wichita State to come up with that kind of compensation package either. I admit that I did not expect that.
                  I thought 2.2-2.5 is where we would max out. I'm glad I underestimated our benefactors.
                  Livin the dream

Comment

• Hello everyone! Been lurking since the whole CGM situation with Bama began and must say I was originally disappointed that he decided to stay at WSU. I have watched your program from afar and have been very impressed with the sustained success. While I would have LOVED to be able to steal him from you guys I feel that we have made a potentially program changing hire with Avery Johnson. Just wanted to throw my thoughts in and say congrats on locking your coach up for the foreseeable future

Comment

• Originally posted by fansince80s View Post
                      Still have that shirt.
                      Me too, although it is well-worn and has been relegated to the yard work stack.

Comment

• Originally posted by Crimson View Post
                        Hello everyone! Been lurking since the whole CGM situation with Bama began and must say I was originally disappointed that he decided to stay at WSU. I have watched your program from afar and have been very impressed with the sustained success. While I would have LOVED to be able to steal him from you guys I feel that we have made a potentially program changing hire with Avery Johnson. Just wanted to throw my thoughts in and say congrats on locking your coach up for the foreseeable future
                        We would love to introduce your new coach to Shocker Nation, let's see if he has the cajones that Anthony Grant had in scheduling us.
                        "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                        -John Wooden

Comment

• Originally posted by wu_shizzle View Post
                          We would love to introduce your new coach to Shocker Nation, let's see if he has the cajones that Anthony Grant had in scheduling us.
                          Anthony Grant got fired because he kept losing to us.

Comment

• nm
                            Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

• @CoachAvery6: It's time to #ROLLTIDE #BamaHoops @AlabamaMBB Bama fans can't wait to meet you!!
                              #RTR🐘
                              The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by SHURTZtheHERTZ View Post
                                @CoachAvery6: It's time to #ROLLTIDE #BamaHoops @AlabamaMBB Bama fans can't wait to meet you!!
                                #RTR
                                6 years at $18mil. $3 mil per year still isn't bad, but clearly they didn't think he was worth Gregg Marshall money.
                                “Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
                                -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

Working...
                                X