No announcement yet.

The Annual HCGM's WSU Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We've had a hell of a ride. Let's make everyone wait until April to talk to him. Beat the Irish!

Comment

• Alabama and/or Texas need to step up and pay him Top 5 money if they want to get serious. That's more in the $5M/yr range. I don't think a $1M per year raise would cut it. Also, don't think Charles Koch wouldn't step up if needed.

Comment

• Originally posted by FlyingWheat View Post
        Texas and Bama are the last two places I'd like to see him go. And I wonder if leaking this early might breed more ill will then good. How do you think Marshall appreciates this distraction, along with the "sentiment" that they'll wait till after we're done to formally pursue?
        Marshall needs to put it all to rest and tell them both no...we have games yet to play and will not be deterred. It is audacious and inconsiderate to put this out there while the Shockers season is still ongoing. Despicable and unprofessional...that reason alone makes either offer less attractive. Of course, I am not in his shoes either.

Comment

• Not asking anyone to stay. Just asking if it is realistic. I think (although I might be mistaken) that Fred and the guys have said they would understand and respect it if he left, but what I mean is would Marshall want to leave knowing he has a good chance to make another deep run next season.

Personally if he does leave, I will of course be disappointed, but will wish him luck and realize that we've been lucky to have him and wish him the very best. The program is in FAR better shape now than when he came and we are in a position to find a good coach in his stead. However, replacing him will be impossible as there is only one Marshall.

On the flip side, he loves to win, cut down nets and compete for championships. He's doing that now, and he's virtually the king of Wichita. At Texas or Alabama the best he could hope to be is a "Duke". A 3 mill a year Duke might be attractive, but not irresistible in my opinion.

Indiana, should it become available to me would be more attractive because he could be King and be paid about the same as the other two.

Just my opinions of course, nothing more. Who really knows what Marshall wants but Gregg himself?

Comment

• Originally posted by shocksrbest View Post
            Marshall needs to put it all to rest and tell them both no...we have games yet to play and will not be deterred. It is audacious and inconsiderate to put this out there while the Shockers season is still ongoing. Despicable and unprofessional...that reason alone makes either offer less attractive.
            You can't tell some "No" if they haven't asked you a question. This stuff goes on every year - this is HCGM's year.
            And, if someone offers enough money I am sure Lynn Marshall has most of the votes in that election. We all want him stay, but that is not what this is about.
            A friend of mine knows Lynn socially and 4 or 5 years ago a number of people asked Lynn why she gets so worked up on every play of every game (before the rest of us became that way). Her answer was "Because that is my husband's career, my family's future and my life. It is important to others, but it is not just a game to me." And, that is what this IS all about.

I only wish if Greg leaves that Jans had a couple more years of success under his belt. But, who knows, maybe that is enough. I hope Greg is here next year.
            If you take the high road, you won't find much traffic there . . .

Comment

• Here is an article on Gonzaga's Coach Mark Few, whose name doesn't seem to pop up much anymore for open jobs. Not saying his situation is exactly like Coach Marshall's is but it does show that a happy life is extremely valuable:

Mark Few has what he needs at Gonzaga. He gets players. He gets wins -- in bunches. And mostly, when he needs a break, he can simply go fishing.

Comment

• Florida has the second best tradition in the SEC.

Comment

• It's important to remember that everyone can be bought. Everything has a price. I do hope that we have HCGM forever and I would like to think a guy like Charles Koch has a permanent standing offer to match ANYTHING.

I am not at all saying Marshall could be "shallow" or someone who will run to the money. What I am saying is that he is doing things that make offers of 4-5 million a possibility and somewhere in there his light bulb might go on... Like "that's a LOT of money. I can coach for 5-10 more years and retire."

Consider if someone offered him 100 million to coach one season. Obviously that is crazy but at some point the money is just too good even if you aren't at all about money. That's what I'm afraid of. That's why I hope Charles Koch has that offer on the table :)

Comment

• Originally posted by Rixtoy1 View Post
                    You can't tell some "No" if they haven't asked you a question. This stuff goes on every year - this is HCGM's year.
                    And, if someone offers enough money I am sure Lynn Marshall has most of the votes in that election. We all want him stay, but that is not what this is about.
                    A friend of mine knows Lynn socially and 4 or 5 years ago a number of people asked Lynn why she gets so worked up on every play of every game (before the rest of us became that way). Her answer was "Because that is my husband's career, my family's future and my life. It is important to others, but it is not just a game to me." And, that is what this IS all about.

I only wish if Greg leaves that Jans had a couple more years of success under his belt. But, who knows, maybe that is enough. I hope Greg is here next year.
                    I understand this is business...big business. But it shows no consideration for the players or coaches that are in the midst of what they spend all year working towards. While I know it is undeniable that Marshall would be a candidate, I wish the timing of presenting this were different and take all matters into consideration. The guy is trying to win a National Championship for crying out loud. Let him do his job before proceeding with yours (University AD's).

Comment

• I'm also pissed off that we can't enjoy one of the landmark victories in the history of the program for 24 HOURS before these vultures start coming out.

Comment

• I don't see him leaving. Here's why...
                        Someone mentioned earlier about his age and if Marshall leaves, he's going to stay put at the next school until retirement. Is that Texas, maybe...

Second point is about Marshall as a person and his competitiveness. I don't know him personally so my observations are my own opinions.
                        Do you think Marshall could win a national championship at Texas. Probably. Do you think Marshall thinks he can win a title at WSU? You bet your ass he does.
                        What do you think he wants? To go to a P5 job to win which is what every coach does? Or do you think he wants to prove everyone wrong and win one (or more :) ) at WSU?

Third point, family rules. He'll do whatever is best for his family. If he wants Maggie to finish highschool first, that could play a role. If Kellen wants to go to WSU, that could play a role. If more money will help the family and set up his children and grandchildren for the rest of their life, he'll go that route. Don't under estimate family. I just left a great job, friends and a life in Chicago I have enjoyed for the last 10 years to move back to wichita. I felt like I was missing out on what matters the most...family. When you get older, that becomes your number one priority. Gregg will do what's best for his family first and foremost.
                        I just want to stand on land...

@rjl:
                        If I had a gun with two bullets and was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and a Creighton fan, I think I'd shoot the Creighton fan twice.

Comment

• Assuming that there is a pot of money somewhere and WSU could match any offer, Why not just bump him to $3 or $4 mil now? He's obviously getting those offers and it apparently is his value based on the market of college coaching. I just hope that the absolute last reason he took a job was for the money.

If I knew my employer could pay me more and knew I was getting offers to leave. The fact that they continued to pay me below my value would annoy me a little.

And if WSU could make money a non factor, why not just take that factor off the table?

$$$$ is the only constant in this whole equation. Our money is exactly the same as everyone else's.
                          "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyShock View Post
                            I'm also pissed off that we can't enjoy one of the landmark victories in the history of the program for 24 HOURS before these vultures start coming out.
                            You should just get used to it man. It will come up every year.

Alabama fans have had to hear the same stuff about Saban going to Texas, the Browns, etc every year that he has been at Bama.

Comment

• We forgot to add into the 'stay' equation the fact that he is about 1/2 a season away from claiming the all-time winningest coach title from Ralph Miller. I know that this isn't as major consideration as others, but it has to be a small factor since he is SO close....

Comment

• I think It is much greater to change the world and make WSU a perennial power in the name of Gregg Marshall than do what seems so obvious to some and go be the successor coach of a p5 recycled power or a follow up even to Duke or Carolina. Not going to set yourself apart there. We will never have a better coach BUT he will never be as loved as he is by shocker fans! He is more likely to be a national legend at WSU and is getting there rapidly right now. Coach please stay.

Comment

Working...
                                X