No announcement yet.

The Annual HCGM's WSU Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some reasons he won't leave: Lynn, Kellen, Maggie, Evan, Fred, Ron, Rashard, Shaq, Zach, Eric, Landry, Markis, Tyrone and $$$.
    Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• The only way that Marshall would coach basketball at Alabama would be if Alabama dropped football so that basketball would be the #1 sport.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocktoberfest View Post
        This comes up every time we talk about salaries and matching the "big boys." I hear that WSU can't match 3 or 4 million or whatever. That's bullcrap. If our community values the program like I know it does, we can match whatever is thrown around. If we want it to happen badly enough, we can keep our coach. Now the athletic dept. may not have the bills technically. But the green is there.
        Charles Koch can match any of them.

Comment

• CBS Sportsline Podcast - Bama, Texas Targets Marshall and WSU Sweet 16

CBS Sports has a podcast called "eye on college basketball" that can be found on Itunes. They (Gary Parrish, Matt Norlander and Sam Vecenie talked about WSU and their 7th seed selection and the Alabama/Texas jobs. Here is my summary of what they said. Probably have to go back and listen more

1. They said WSU believed that the NCAA screwed them on the 7th seed because that was the only slot open so that the NCAA wouldn't have to pay for charter jet. If they gave them their true seed they would have had to pay for their charter and ship them out of region. WSU basically said screw the NCAA were not going to make our players endure long bus ride and payed for their own charter.

2. SEC want their schools to step it basketball because even though football is their cash cow, they still have to fill programing slots for their network the six other days of the week and that is done with basketball. Therefore Alabama is going all in.

3. Alabama has list of 1. They will give Marshall whatever he wants. They won't give him a reason to turn them down, it will have to be simply he doesn't want to coach at Alabama.

4. Why is Alabama out leaking this - they want to get out in front of Texas. They feel that Texas will now have to make a move this week, as they think Texas wants Marshall.

5. Overall, in their opinion they don't seem sold on Alabama being a great job and that Marshall would jump at it, but they think if Texas comes calling there is no doubt Marshall will take that job.

Comment

• Don't want to hear it.

NO NO NO NO

Comment

• Did Barnes get fired?

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                Did Barnes get fired?
                No. Their opinion was Texas is not ready to move yet, but Alabama has now sped up their timetable. If they are correct, then look for Texas to make their move by this weekend on Barnes.

Comment

• Does anyone really think either of these jobs could lure him with Ron, Fred and company set to return in all likelihood?

I know lots of money would be offered--far more than we could offer, but the above coupled with the fact that those are football schools makes me doubt this would happen. Now a year from now might be a different story...

Comment

• Texas and Bama are the last two places I'd like to see him go. And I wonder if leaking this early might breed more ill will then good. How do you think Marshall appreciates this distraction, along with the "sentiment" that they'll wait till after we're done to formally pursue?

Comment

• Originally posted by shockar25 View Post
                      Does anyone really think either of these jobs could lure him with Ron, Fred and company set to return in all likelihood?

I know lots of money would be offered--far more than we could offer, but the above coupled with the fact that those are football schools makes me doubt this would happen. Now a year from now might be a different story...
                      Assuming all of those guys come back, no. I would be stunned.
                      Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

• If he believes he has a chance at a National Championship next year he won't leave for any amount of cash.

Imho

I also believe that is the conversation these pundits should posit.

Comment

• Beat Notre Dame.

Comment

Does anyone really think either of these jobs could lure him with Ron, Fred and company set to return in all likelihood?

Yes, I do. Van Vleet had some quotes re the possibility of HCGM looking at offers to move on. I think it's funny that fans, in general, ask coaches to stay and not take a 7 figure pay raise when if they were in the same position would jump ship in a heartbeat. I want HCGM to stay as long as he wants but if UT comes calling he is 85% to go...

Comment

• I don't think I'm naive. Coach could leave.

But if it were me, in his position. If everyone returns. I would believe we would have a great shot at a title. I don't know how much money that would be worth to me. If I'm as wealthy as HCGM . . . I dunno.

Comment

I can honestly say I don't know. I think it would be very difficult for him to walk away from Ron, Fred and I would include Evan in that group, but I suppose someone could make him an offer he can't refuse. Also, we are assuming Ron, Fred and Evan will be back which may or may not be the case. My guess is that they will be although 3G certainly has a better feel for that than any of us do.

The one thing we have in our favor is that from all appearances it appears he and his family are extremely happy with their current situation. There is absolutely no guarantee he will be able to reproduce that level of happiness anywhere else and 3G understands that very well. At this point HCGM should be able to Coach the remainder of his career at Wichita State and retire very comfortably, very happy and very loved by the WSU fan base and the Wichita community.

It is also possible that Dr. Bardo has sat down with 3G and told him that he may be one of the most important people in making Dr. Bardo's vision for the growth at Wichita State to come true. Something like that could give a man like 3G tremendous satisfaction.

I don't think Wichita State and it's financial heavy hitters will let 3G go without a fight.

I suppose the only thing I really know for sure is that Gregg Marshall will be the Head Basketball Coach at Wichita State until he isn't. And that time will come when 3G and his Family decide it's the right time. Hopefully, that will be when Coach Marshall retires from coaching.

Comment

Working...
                                X