The Annual HCGM's WSU Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wu_shizzle View Post
    Unless Crean just kills it next year, they'll have someone new by the time this opens: http://www.insidethehall.com/2014/12...assembly-hall/
    I'm jealous, that is one good looking renovation plan. IU signed a 5 star and a 4 star last season and have a 4 and 3 star for this upcoming one. Plus Yogi is coming back. He's a good enough coach to get what he needs out of them to be another 20 plus win program and keep his job safe. You'd think.

Comment

• Basically everybody in the B12

Comment

• Originally posted by jdshock View Post
        I know a lot of KU fans were really unhappy with Roy Williams when he left. He talked about KU being his dream job and staying there forever. Then he left for UNC. People had shirts that said "Benedict Williams" etc.

I really appreciate HCGM's honesty about all of this. He's positive about WSU. There's not "at this level" talk and he has said he could win a championship here. He's also been honest about listening to offers, though. If he ever leaves, I do not foresee hard feelings between the majority of our fanbase and HCGM. I'll be particularly ready to wish him well, if he waits another five years or so. Then Jans will have enough experience to take over the reins.

As an aside for predictions, I'm only worried about Indiana right now. If he went to Texas or Alabama, I would be surprised. It would certainly mean that I undervalued how important money or power-5 affiliation is to him. A school like Indiana allows him to be at a top-5 historically program. He gets to be the biggest deal on campus. I hope Crean keeps his job. UNC would scare me if Williams stepped down because of the scandal stuff. Even then, though, I just don't believe Duke or UNC is ever going to hire someone outside of their coaching tree. Duke and UNC are the best programs in HCGM's neck of the woods. Indiana is the only one that I think has a pretty good chance at him. And if he were offered Indiana and he accepted, I would definitely not blame him for a second.
        Indiana is young and will be really good the next few years--I think Crean is safe. I really feel, the longer Marshall stays here the better the chance he will retire from coaching here. Let's just pay him 3 million/year and settle this thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
          I'm jealous, that is one good looking renovation plan. IU signed a 5 star and a 4 star last season and have a 4 and 3 star for this upcoming one. Plus Yogi is coming back. He's a good enough coach to get what he needs out of them to be another 20 plus win program and keep his job safe. You'd think.
          Marshall has three 4 stars and two 3 stars coming in next year with two All-Americans coming back. Plus, no other team has a Wessel or a Shaqwall.
          Livin the dream

Comment

• 3G has found his happy place right here in Wichita!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kochaddict View Post
              3G has found his happy place right here in Wichita!
              Like Happy Gilmore's happy place??
              The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by SHURTZtheHERTZ View Post
                Maybe Julie Bowen is a Shocker fan.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHURTZtheHERTZ View Post
                  "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• USA Today: Gregg Marshall would be crazy to leave Wichita State for Alabama

It’s going to take a “crazy” offer for Marshall to leave Wichita State. Will that offer be from the Crimson Tide?
                    Last edited by Shocker-maniac; March 26, 2015, 10:34 AM.
                    ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

• A lot of opinions out there. However, there is obviously only one small group of opinions that will have any bearing and that is the Gregg Marshall and his family. Perhaps Coach Kresse as well.

Outside of opinion the most objective factor that could impact the decision would be what kind of compensation enhancements can ADES secure and offer to 3G. It will be interesting to see what, if anything, ADES can come up with.

I don't think Coach Marshall could be any more loved and respected in Wichita than he already is and at this point job security at Wichita State is a totally non-issue and I can't imagine it ever would be over the remainder of his coaching career.

We can't do much about our weather. Just need to make sure that we have the private jets available to Gregg whenever he wants to get away for some R&R or any other reason.

I do know this. 3G and his advisors are smart enough to know that even if 3G has, in his own mind, decided to finish his career at Wichita State that keeping his options open is the best leverage he has in maximizing his compensation at Wichita State. And you just never know, maybe someday he will get a "crazy" offer that will be simply to good to refuse.

Comment

• I have full faith and knowledge that ADES will do everything in his power to keep Marshall here.

I also agree with Marshall, he'd be a fool to not listen to offers. Even "crazy" ones.

I think they come up with the money to keep him here, as I see his choices as 2: 1) rebuilding an underachieving team and a big bump in pay or 2) having an opportunity to win a NC next year.

He's a great coach. He will have option 1) available to him for the next 5-7 years. He may never get 2) again. But if we 'don't pay the man', I would not be surprised to see him leave after next year, whether we win a NC or not.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocka khan View Post
                          I have full faith and knowledge that ADES will do everything in his power to keep Marshall here.

I also agree with Marshall, he'd be a fool to not listen to offers. Even "crazy" ones.

I think they come up with the money to keep him here, as I see his choices as 2: 1) rebuilding an underachieving team and a big bump in pay or 2) having an opportunity to win a NC next year.

He's a great coach. He will have option 1) available to him for the next 5-7 years. He may never get 2) again. But if we 'don't pay the man', I would not be surprised to see him leave after next year, whether we win a NC or not.
                          Insightful, I agree wholeheartedly.
                          “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

• Originally posted by shocka khan View Post
                            I have full faith and knowledge that ADES will do everything in his power to keep Marshall here.

I'd be shocked if we "don't pay the man". The amount of exposure he has given WSU, I feel, would more than pay for his salary. Attendance has been up, sales of branded products are way up. On top of that the Donors/advertisers get a lot more exposure (ie can charge more) when we are constantly on national TV.

Just as a number. In 2010 the Credit Hour Enrollment was approx 157,000 Hours. In 2015 it is up to 165,000. Now granted, this isn't all because of Marshall and the basketball team, but its part of it. That increase in tuition hours alone (@ $200 a credit hour for in-state) is 1.6 million a semester. That is assuming ALL of the increase was in-state students and not out of state where it would be double the gain. Of course there is extra cost associated with the extra students, but just a small point of info.
                            Last edited by Stickboy46; March 26, 2015, 02:11 PM.

Comment

• Let's not be naïve, Marshall will leave when there is a better offer from a major conference.

Comment

• Originally posted by wichita View Post
                                Let's not be naïve, Marshall will leave when there is a better offer from a major conference.
                                He has already experienced that scenario. What's your next thought?

Comment

Working...
                                X