Conner Frankamp is a Shocker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
    What scholarship situation? I believe we have 13 scholarships for next season. The question is, who gets one and who doesn't? Sounds more like a personnel situation than a scholarship situation.
    Sorry, I need a sarcasm font.
    Originally posted by BleacherReport
    Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
      I think the NCAA allows a waiver if he becomes a Pentecostal and joins the ministry, tho the language is not totally clear. It's on page 63.
      Speaking in tongues can have that effect on clarity of the language...

Comment

• Several questions on how much time Semi would have left at the school he ends up. Found this article that explains it by comparing him to Frankamp.

The difference between Conner Frankamp and Semi Ojeleye's transfers

I received an interesting question yesterday that I didn't have the answer to.

"If Duke sophomore Semi Ojeleye will have 2 1/2 years of eligibility remaining after transferring from Duke (as has been reported), why didn't Conner Frankamp play the first semester at Kansas?"

It didn't seem to make sense to me either. If there was no penalty for playing the first semester at KU, then why wouldn't Frankamp play at KU for two months to see how it went and then make a decision?

It turns out that Frankamp did the smart thing if he knew he was going to transfer ... and instead the issue here is some inaccurate reporting.

According to David Reed - KU's assistant athletic director for compliance - once a player steps on the court to play for a team one season, he cannot get that year of eligibility back.

In this case, after playing limited minutes for Duke this year, Ojeleye has burned his sophomore year. After sitting out the next season, the Ottawa native can return second semester next year, but he will do so as a junior with just 1 1/2 years remaining.

There are only three ways to avoid losing the full year, Reed said: 1. Transferring down to Division II or lower; 2. Qualifying as a graduate transfer (like KU's Tarik Black was last season); 3. Getting a special NCAA waiver for a family hardship, which would make a player eligible at the beginning of next season.

None of these three circumstances are likely to affect Ojeleye, meaning his new school will be signing up for 1 1/2 years of a former top recruit.

Frankamp, meanwhile, will be eligible to play second semester at Wichita State next year and then two full years after that. By knowing he wanted to transfer, he saved himself a full year by making the decision before the season when he did.

While we're talking about Ojeleye, a few media reports in the last day have talked about KU making contact with him. 247Sports recruiting analyst Matt Scott, though, is reporting that KU's interest in Ojeleye doesn't appear to be as high as other schools.

The reason for that seems to make sense: KU is flooded with wing-type players on its roster now and is likely to pick up at least one more in recruiting over the next two years. Ojeleye likely would be facing the same sort of playing time issues that led to his decision to transfer from Duke.

Comment

• Originally posted by Speak2me View Post
          Several questions on how much time Semi would have left at the school he ends up. Found this article that explains it by comparing him to Frankamp.

The difference between Conner Frankamp and Semi Ojeleye's transfers

I received an interesting question yesterday that I didn't have the answer to.

"If Duke sophomore Semi Ojeleye will have 2 1/2 years of eligibility remaining after transferring from Duke (as has been reported), why didn't Conner Frankamp play the first semester at Kansas?"

It didn't seem to make sense to me either. If there was no penalty for playing the first semester at KU, then why wouldn't Frankamp play at KU for two months to see how it went and then make a decision?

It turns out that Frankamp did the smart thing if he knew he was going to transfer ... and instead the issue here is some inaccurate reporting.

According to David Reed - KU's assistant athletic director for compliance - once a player steps on the court to play for a team one season, he cannot get that year of eligibility back.

In this case, after playing limited minutes for Duke this year, Ojeleye has burned his sophomore year. After sitting out the next season, the Ottawa native can return second semester next year, but he will do so as a junior with just 1 1/2 years remaining.

There are only three ways to avoid losing the full year, Reed said: 1. Transferring down to Division II or lower; 2. Qualifying as a graduate transfer (like KU's Tarik Black was last season); 3. Getting a special NCAA waiver for a family hardship, which would make a player eligible at the beginning of next season.

None of these three circumstances are likely to affect Ojeleye, meaning his new school will be signing up for 1 1/2 years of a former top recruit.

Frankamp, meanwhile, will be eligible to play second semester at Wichita State next year and then two full years after that. By knowing he wanted to transfer, he saved himself a full year by making the decision before the season when he did.

While we're talking about Ojeleye, a few media reports in the last day have talked about KU making contact with him. 247Sports recruiting analyst Matt Scott, though, is reporting that KU's interest in Ojeleye doesn't appear to be as high as other schools.

The reason for that seems to make sense: KU is flooded with wing-type players on its roster now and is likely to pick up at least one more in recruiting over the next two years. Ojeleye likely would be facing the same sort of playing time issues that led to his decision to transfer from Duke.
          I am missing what is new in this article regarding either Frankamp's or Ojelye's eligibility?

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
            I am missing what is new in this article regarding either Frankamp's or Ojelye's eligibility?
            Nope just a rehash of what you have explained from the get-go, except this author misses the fact that Semi could get 2 full years by sitting next season out. :)
            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

As mentioned in the article, several people reporting on Semi have said he would have 2.5 left. That made no sense to me so I found a Jayhawk article that appeared to clarify he has 1.5 left Just thought I would share.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                Nope just a rehash of what you have explained from the get-go, except this author misses the fact that Semi could get 2 full years by sitting next season out. :)
                Sounds like he would be better off to sit 3 semesters, then play 4.

Comment

• Originally posted by Speak2me View Post
                  As mentioned in the article, several people reporting on Semi have said he would have 2.5 left. That made no sense to me so I found a Jayhawk article that appeared to clarify he has 1.5 left Just thought I would share.
                  Thanks. It does confirm what I have previously explained in detail. As @KungWu points out and as has been pointed out on this board Semi could set out next year totally and have a full 2 years of eligibility he following 2 years under the 5 to complete 4 rule. However, I doubt that he would do this because he will only miss around 8 games next season while sitting out the 1st semester.

Comment

• If Carter can continue to hit that 18 foot jumper on the perimeter then I think that will open the lanes up for FVV a lot. I just think with Cle we could spread it out a lot more. Seems like teams on clogging the lanes which is making it tough to drive.
                    Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

• Conner was at the Alabama game FWIW. I was more or less ambivalent about Conner coming to Wichita State and I have no idea how he will do. However, now that he is in the fold I am really pulling for the kid to kick ass in his Shocker re-incarnation.

Comment

• People always forget about Andrew Wiggins, when talking about why or how Conner "failed" at KU. The kid signed with KU when he turned 16, 2 full seasons before he actually went to KU. During that time, the #1 recruit in the class following Conner's, reclassified to come out of High School a year earlier, and guess where he was ranked when he reclassified as a 17 year old college freshman? The #1 recruit in the earlier class. That's insane. That's how good Wiggins was/is. Did Conner Frankamp know that he was going to be riding the pine behind the professed next Lebron, Kobe, MJ? Hellllll no he didn't. And as bad as Tharpe played last year, there was no way Frankamp was taking minutes from a Junior PG.

KU fans can call Conner a quitter, but the kid was a product of a shitty situation. You can't blame Self for taking Wiggins, any coach in the country would have taken him. But at the same time Self can't be a vindictive little **** with snide remarks about "Well we had one guy quit on us, so yeah we're a little thin at PG." Well if you didn't take Andrew Wiggins you could have groomed your 4 year SG with more playing time and developed a shooter that you could revolve consistency around for 4 years instead of a one and done. And where did that one and done get you? A round of 32 exit.

Also talking about where did that get them? In the last game of the year, Wiggins was 1-6 from the field, 0-2 from 3, ended with 4 points on 34 minutes. Conner was 4-8 from the field, 4-7 from 3, and ended with 12 points on 18 minutes.

I'm definitely not saying Conner is better than Wiggins, but this is college basketball, not D-League basketball. Conner wants to play for 4 years in college. Wiggins needed a year before going to the NBA because it's the rules.
                        ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

• KU had before, and still has, issues with outside shooting and with point guard play. Self did not think CF was the answer. At least, not NOW.

Comment

• Self also thought Kelly Oubre was much, much, much further along than reality dictates heading into the season.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                              When both Frankamp and Ojeleye walk on paying in-state tuition for the rest of their careers, we just want to speculate on what Marshall can do by putting 13 scholarship players on the roster with them. Something like that worked with Baker, Armstead, Coleby, Lufile, and Simon.

Today's quiz: Identify the mistake (or mistakes) in the previous sentence.
                              Armstead, Coleby and Simon did not pay in-state tuition. Lufile did not pay his own way. And Simon will never be on scholarship and will be the only player to pay his tuition for the rest of his career. Your assumption that Frankamp and Ojeleye will/would be paying tuition for the rest of their careers, while perhaps possible, is definitely a speculation that may or may not come true.

But since we are speculating my opinion is that Ojeleye becoming a Shocker is a long-shot. I have nothing whatsoever to support that outside of a gut feeling.

Comment

However, I doubt that he would do this because he will only miss around 8 games next season while sitting out the 1st semester.
                                It may depend on where he goes. For example, if they are stacked at that position with two seniors next year, he might sit knowing that he will be the man for the following two seasons.
                                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Working...
                                X