Poll Watch (2013-14 Edition)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ABC View Post
    Turgeon said that too, and then took a rebuilding job at Maryland.
    Turgeon was destined to leave. He was raised on the coach Brown tree so regardless of what he said in public his intentions were always to move on. Marshall has not shown any of these tendencies.
    Last edited by jpshocker; February 20, 2014, 10:34 AM.
    "We can't win at home. We can't win on the road. As the general manager, I just can't figure out where else to play." -Pat Williams

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Therapy View Post
      That was the belief for a while, but there was an interview within the last couple if months where, if I'm remembering correctly, Gregg said that he flat out told them that he wasn't interested.
      I don't remember any such interview. But I could easily be forgetting it. In my mind, 3G turned down Nebraska and NC State, but declined to talk with UCLA at the time. Doesn't mean I think he would have taken the job. He may have turned them down anyway. But the talks never got that far because we were still playing.

Although with each year of setting new milestones at WSU, it is certainly going to get harder to leave.
      You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

• HCGM has said, quite emphatically, that he does not want another rebuilding job. That's why I'm not worried about even the South Carolina job once they realize that Martin is horrible.

The only one I would potentially be worried about is if Royboy retired and UNC, with the cupboard still full, went after HCGM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steeleshocker View Post
          I don't remember any such interview. But I could easily be forgetting it. In my mind, 3G turned down Nebraska and NC State, but declined to talk with UCLA at the time. Doesn't mean I think he would have taken the job. He may have turned them down anyway. But the talks never got that far because we were still playing.

Although with each year of setting new milestones at WSU, it is certainly going to get harder to leave.
          I was under the impression that schools don't throw out numbers unless they're prepared to offer them. It seems weird to say that UCLA was prepared to offer Gregg a 6 year, 2.6 million dollar contract but Gregg saying no doesn't count as "turning them down."

Comment

• Originally posted by AndShock View Post
            I was under the impression that schools don't throw out numbers unless they're prepared to offer them. It seems weird to say that UCLA was prepared to offer Gregg a 6 year, 2.6 million dollar contract but Gregg saying no doesn't count as "turning them down."
            HCGM threw out the numbers and that they tried to talk to him at the 2013 KIOGO meeting in Wichita.

Comment

• I think we should he prepared for still being third on Monday. If we win this weekend, and so do Florida and Syracuse, Syracuse could still be number one but probably number two.

Losing at home against bc is a bad loss. Winning at Duke would be the best win in college basketball this year(other than BC's win at cuse I guess). I think with the bcs bias out there, we could stay third...

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyShock View Post
                HCGM has said, quite emphatically, that he does not want another rebuilding job. That's why I'm not worried about even the South Carolina job once they realize that Martin is horrible.

The only one I would potentially be worried about is if Royboy retired and UNC, with the cupboard still full, went after HCGM.
                I could see him at Indiana after Crean is gone.

Comment

• After losing to a 194 RPI team at home, Syracuse will not be ahead of WSU.

Comment

• Originally posted by Anthroshock View Post
                    I could see him at Indiana after Crean is gone.
                    That is literally a rebuilding job.

Get it? It's a "your building is falling apart and needs rebuilt so it doesn't fall down" joke.

Comment

• Originally posted by jdshock View Post
                      I think we should he prepared for still being third on Monday. If we win this weekend, and so do Florida and Syracuse, Syracuse could still be number one but probably number two.

Losing at home against bc is a bad loss. Winning at Duke would be the best win in college basketball this year(other than BC's win at cuse I guess). I think with the bcs bias out there, we could stay third...
                      1st, 2nd or 3rd all I know is that win this weekend we should see a () next to WSU monday indicating first place votes. If not then someone should visit Ben Jacobson in the middle of the night and when he answers the door in his sleepy stupor, kick him squarely in the grapes to wake him up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steeleshocker View Post
                        I feel like I need to correct something that continues to be perpetuated on this board.

Marshall did not turn down an offer from UCLA. He told them he was not willing to meet with them while he was still coaching a team in the NCAA tournament. Now, maybe he had knowledge that UCLA would offer him a job, but at the time he merely said he wouldn't take the meeting while in L.A. UCLA didn't want to wait until the end of the tournament and made a hire pretty quickly. Had they waited until the end of the season Marshall might have had that meeting with them.

Sorry for the rant, but I don't feel like the statement "Marshall turned down UCLA" is entirely honest.
                        I also remember hearing at the time that they signed Alford on the last day before his New Mexico contract hit a trigger/renewal of some type and his buyout became significantly and prohibitively more expensive, even for UCLA.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheDover1018 View Post
                          I like to think of the former assistant we hire 20 years from now as HCFVV.
                          I would love a staff of former WSU point guards.
                          "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                          -John Wooden

Comment

• Originally posted by kcshocker11 View Post
                            Everybody in the country will try for 3G, Wake, Indiana you name it.If hes smart he'll stay and if WSU is smart they will reward him, both with a nice contract and a new conference

http://isportsweb.com/2014/02/19/wak...8isportsweb%29
                            ...it seems like an eternity since the Demon Deacons last found themselves in the NCAA tournament, or any postseason play for that matter.

Even though Wake hasn’t had a ton of success in the school’s history as a division one team...

While Wake Forest is certainly not even close to a powerhouse program...
                            Yea, that has HCGM all over it.
                            "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                            -John Wooden

Comment

• Wake Forest has a lot of nice history and is actually a decent job. They were #1 as recently as 2009, have six E8s and one F4. I'd rank it as more desirable than NC State since their fans are pretty rabid but don't have delusional expectations.

It's also the kind of job that HCGM will politely have his agent turn down in a heartbeat.

Comment

• Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
                                As I recall in the mid 60's one year WE were #1 and visited #2 Michigan and lost
                                in the final seconds on a terrible call. The following year Michigan was #1 and we
                                were #2 when they visited us and we won 100-94 in a fantastic game.
                                AP Top 10 December 15, 1964
                                Rank Prev Team Conference
                                up 1 2 Wichita State Missouri Valley Schedule
                                down 2 1 Michigan Big Ten Schedule
                                up 3 5 San Francisco West Coast Schedule
                                up 4 6 Minnesota Big Ten Schedule
                                up 5 7 UCLA Pac-12 Schedule
                                up 6 8 Duke ACC Schedule
                                up 7 10 St. John's Big East Schedule
                                up 8 9 Kentucky SEC Schedule
                                down 9 3 Vanderbilt SEC Schedule
                                down 10 4 Saint Louis A-10 Schedule

The following year, WSU did in fact beat #2 Michigan 100-94, but the Shox were not ranked in the top 10. They may have been ranked outside the top 10 but my source for AP rankings by week only shows the top 10.

edit: in checking the poll the following week, Michigan dropped to #3 and the Shox were in fact ranked #10.
                                Last edited by jocoshock; February 20, 2014, 08:55 PM.
                                Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Working...
                                X