No announcement yet.

Poll Watch (2013-14 Edition)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall has always maintained that he did NOT want another rebuilding job. Most teams looking to replace coaches are in rebuild mode. Why would a program, at least one that Marshall might consider, be wanting to replace a coach unless they had had several losing seasons and therefore in need of a rebuild. The only (or maybe I should say the biggest) obstacle in keeping Marshall may be conference affiliation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shox21 View Post
      Marshall has always maintained that he did NOT want another rebuilding job. Most teams looking to replace coaches are in rebuild mode. Why would a program, at least one that Marshall might consider, be wanting to replace a coach unless they had had several losing seasons and therefore in need of a rebuild. The only (or maybe I should say the biggest) obstacle in keeping Marshall may be conference affiliation.
      Turgeon said that too, and then took a rebuilding job at Maryland.

Comment

• Originally posted by jocoshock View Post
        85-87. Carrie Russell hit the winning shot in the final seconds. Michigan had been #1 the previous week and lost on the road to Nebraska.
        Cazzie Russell - one of my favorite memories of early Shocker games. You should check out the road trip that the Shockers played prior to playing Michigan in Ann Arbor - very impressive road trip.

Comment

• I feel like I need to correct something that continues to be perpetuated on this board.

Marshall did not turn down an offer from UCLA. He told them he was not willing to meet with them while he was still coaching a team in the NCAA tournament. Now, maybe he had knowledge that UCLA would offer him a job, but at the time he merely said he wouldn't take the meeting while in L.A. UCLA didn't want to wait until the end of the tournament and made a hire pretty quickly. Had they waited until the end of the season Marshall might have had that meeting with them.

Sorry for the rant, but I don't feel like the statement "Marshall turned down UCLA" is entirely honest.
          You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

• As I recall in the mid 60's one year WE were #1 and visited #2 Michigan and lost
            in the final seconds on a terrible call. The following year Michigan was #1 and we
            were #2 when they visited us and we won 100-94 in a fantastic game.

Comment

• I think that is nit picking. UCLA says "Hey we want to talk to you" and Marshall says "No, not right now"
              He said No to UCLA

(and of course all of this happened through reps and "people" so Marshall himself didn't do anything)

Comment

• Originally posted by Rosewood View Post
                I think that is nit picking. UCLA says "Hey we want to talk to you" and Marshall says "No, not right now"
                He said No to UCLA

(and of course all of this happened through reps and "people" so Marshall himself didn't do anything)
                But we make it sound like he turned down a job offer.
                You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steeleshocker View Post
                  I feel like I need to correct something that continues to be perpetuated on this board.

Marshall did not turn down an offer from UCLA. He told them he was not willing to meet with them while he was still coaching a team in the NCAA tournament. Now, maybe he had knowledge that UCLA would offer him a job, but at the time he merely said he wouldn't take the meeting while in L.A. UCLA didn't want to wait until the end of the tournament and made a hire pretty quickly. Had they waited until the end of the season Marshall might have had that meeting with them.

Sorry for the rant, but I don't feel like the statement "Marshall turned down UCLA" is entirely honest.
                  That was the belief for a while, but there was an interview within the last couple if months where, if I'm remembering correctly, Gregg said that he flat out told them that he wasn't interested.

Comment

• Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
                    The playboy preseason poll. Cliff was really stretching it.
                    C'mon, you know that was intentional.
                    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by kcshocker11 View Post
                      Everybody in the country will try for 3G, Wake, Indiana you name it.If hes smart he'll stay and if WSU is smart they will reward him, both with a nice contract and a new conference

http://isportsweb.com/2014/02/19/wak...8isportsweb%29
                      This guy will not let facts stand in the way of an article he wants to write.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheDover1018 View Post
                        I like to think of the former assistant we hire 20 years from now as HCFVV.
                        DJ Bowles.
                        "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by ABC View Post
                          Turgeon said that too, and then took a rebuilding job at Maryland.
                          The way I explained this to myself was that the aTm job was not a rebuilding and aTm was not turning out to be the "step up" that he envisioned. Maryland came along and it was "THE ACC" the highest level at which a person could coach. This reasoning was developed when Eddie Fogler left WSU for vanderbilt and stated the ONLY reason was because of the AWSOME academics at vanderbilt. After that program started down hill he jumped to that academic bastion south carolina. Most coaches live in the moment but I hope HC3G2L lives beyond the moment and can see the future.

Comment

• Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post
                            Oklahoma State is likely going to try to offer close to 4-7 million to a coach who currently coaches in Kansas, and it isn't Marshall.
                            Why would they go after Bruce Webber?

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Therapy View Post
                              That was the belief for a while, but there was an interview within the last couple if months where, if I'm remembering correctly, Gregg said that he flat out told them that he wasn't interested.
                              I cannot imagine a born and raised southern boy like Coach Marshall taking on a HC gig in L.A.
                              "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
                                Why would they go after Bruce Webber?
                                Nah, Steve Eck.

Comment

Working...
                                X