No announcement yet.

The 2023 Official “Jay Bilas No Rules” Transfer Portal Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If I were H or Germany and read this thread, I would seriously consider withdrawing my commitment. I am excited to have them on the team and can hardly wait to see what they can do.

Comment

• Originally posted by moshock View Post

Think what you want - but HCPM has been on the job for less than a month and you are expecting him to have a complete roster - It's obvious that you don't like that he has been hired - At least give him a chance

The guy took ORU - FLIPPING ORU to the tourney TWICE - he's not a chump. I'll at least give him the benefit of not criticizing every move he makes. We are way better off
      Never said I expected a complete roster. I was expecting at least one impact player signed, not just a bunch of people that are maybe good, maybe just average players. Different expectations are ok. I'm not calling for his job or anything. It's ok that I'm looking at the yellow flags. Yes he took ORU to the tourney twice .. both times happen to be with an All American that isn't following him. I've stated that is my concern with HCPM .. all of his success is tied to one recruiting class. Granted, he's only been a head coach for 6 years, so having a player for 4 of those years is either a coincidence or the reason for the success. That may not be "fair" to HCPM but its a realistic concern if you don't bury your head in the sand.

Hopefully the next couple weeks give us some great recruiting news and I can push all these doubts to the side for the time being.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

How many times have we brought in a 'great shooter', only for them to shoot 10% lower than they did at their previous place. Never said Rogers can't start, but we really don't have enough data to say he's a for sure starter. I'm excited for him though.
        So now we're parsing between "could start" and "sure starter"? lol

As I said, last season CR would have been the starting SG at the beginning of the year according to TE. Sounds like a pretty likely starter, who is currently on the roster, to me. However, I will say that I wouldn't mind if we brought in a guy like Caleb Grill ahead of CR. There's always a better starter out there.

Anyway, I think all of these debates are borne out of a lack of recruiting news (or even many rumors). SN tends to get a little frisky when there isn't much to discuss.

Comment

Yea, that's been a consistent theme all the way back to Marshall (cough *Frankamp* cough). But Marshall and IB were the same coaching tree. So yes, I'm also hopeful for a change with a whole new coaching tree and philosophy.
          And someone with the numbers would have to look it up, but I don't think Marshall's teams struggled with the 3 ball over his tenure. When he had true leadership at the point (Armstead, FVV) I would argue the Shockers were as good as anyone in the long ball. After Fred's departure, the Shockers just seemed to struggle to find a true PG leader (AR didn't seem completely comfortable in the role, nor did CF, Landry (was OK but forced into the role as a 2 guard), GS, I'm probably missing some.) I think the Shocks were at a tourney somewhere, maybe the Bahamas, and FVV was hurt or something, and the Shockers just did not look good. Probably resembled more of Marshall's last couple of teams and even IB's teams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Is Kenny Pohto a "for sure starter level" player?
            He definitely started .. but whether that's because he's a "for sure starter level" or we just had no one better is up for debate lol. Pohto definitely has the potential to be a "for sure starter" ... not for sure he would have started on many tournament level teams last year though. .

Comment

• Originally posted by JVShocker View Post

I think with the right coach, Pohto could be OK. Just seems like the system he played in under IB was a mismatch for his skillset.
              I think Kenny would be best as PF but his lack of shooting ability (going off results) and restricted mobility could pose a problem playing outside of the paint.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wichita Willy View Post
                If I were H or Germany and read this thread, I would seriously consider withdrawing my commitment. I am excited to have them on the team and can hardly wait to see what they can do.
                If they are going to withdraw every time someone on the internet doesn't sing anything but praises, they probably should find a new career/hobby.

Comment

And someone with the numbers would have to look it up, but I don't think Marshall's teams struggled with the 3 ball over his tenure. When he had true leadership at the point (Armstead, FVV) I would argue the Shockers were as good as anyone in the long ball. After Fred's departure, the Shockers just seemed to struggle to find a true PG leader (AR didn't seem completely comfortable in the role, nor did CF, Landry (was OK but forced into the role as a 2 guard), GS, I'm probably missing some.) I think the Shocks were at a tourney somewhere, maybe the Bahamas, and FVV was hurt or something, and the Shockers just did not look good. Probably resembled more of Marshall's last couple of teams and even IB's teams.
                  I still feel bad for Ron from that tourney. Every team just keyed off on him and he was busting his ass and gave everything he had. That 2016 year with FVV and Shamet getting hurt is one of my greatest "what ifs"

Comment

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post

So now we're parsing between "could start" and "sure starter"? lol

As I said, last season CR would have been the starting SG at the beginning of the year according to TE. Sounds like a pretty likely starter, who is currently on the roster, to me. However, I will say that I wouldn't mind if we brought in a guy like Caleb Grill ahead of CR. There's always a better starter out there.

Anyway, I think all of these debates are borne out of a lack of recruiting news (or even many rumors). SN tends to get a little frisky when there isn't much to discuss.

Comment

Yes, and the Committee ****ed Wichita State over and heavy loaded the Tourney bracket against them.
                      You're not completely wrong, but I have always had a likely unpopular opinion on this. I don't think Kentucky was that underseeded. I just thought they underperformed, relative to their talent. They had dropped out of the Top 25 towads the end of the regular season, having 3 of their last 4, including a BAD loss at South Carolina. If Kentucky was the 29th ranked team in the country, that would put them at an 8 seed, which is exactly what they were seeded to be.

So...yeah, I think there were some other shenanigans done by the committee (WSU, Michigan, Duke, Louisville, and Kentucky all in that same region..)

But if I blame anyone for WSU having to play Kentucky in the second round, I blame Kentucky. Had they given that same effort all season that they gave in the NCAA Tournament, they no doubt would have been a Top 4 seed. But they f***ed around and did not deserve a better seed.
                      78-65

Comment

• Kenny Photo. At this point in his career, he can't shoot, his defense is terrible, he can't jump, below average rebounder. He is an excellent passer. and became pretty good with his back to the basket this year. If we were bringing him in I would be neutral, thinking he has potential but has to improve in a lot of areas to be a starter on the caliber of team we hope to have.

The other thing is I think, HCPM is looking for players that can play facing the basket and guard on the perimeter, even from bigs. Not sure he really fits in here.

Comment

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post

It takes some significant workarounds to get an international student like Kenny NIL money. I believe it has to earned outside the US for starters.
                          AirBus
                          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Fair statement .. just was expecting more out of Mills than IB .. for right or wrong.
                            I personally think giving him more than two weeks would be a good idea. Just me.
                            "Say it slowly and savor it..."
                            Nothing worse than sCUm/sKUm

Comment

• I think some of the disconnect between us right now is expectation levels.

it seems some expect Wichita State to be a "tournament level" team year 1 under Paul Mills.

Others expect a competitive but down year (by WSU standards) for year 1 but expect that to be short term as Mills rebuilds the program.

I can understand both sides. I do think it is a little unfair to expect Mills to come in and immediately put a top 3 AAC team (what it would take to be a tournament level team IMO). But I do agree that most years that SHOULD be the expectation.
                              "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post

There was very little buzz on Walton until the season started.
                                Walton didn't decommit from Mississippi State until a year ago today. We didn't offer until May 10. Still a month away. I'm not overly excited about what we have, but I think other portal transfers are coming, and as Shoxlax said, there are a lot of Juco's that haven't been recruited hard yet, because of the transfer portal frenzy.

Comment

Working...
                                X