No announcement yet.

The 2023 Official “Jay Bilas No Rules” Transfer Portal Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't help but wonder if this is the route Pierre took, given the timing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Discussed this earlier. He put up decent numbers on a very bad team that played a very bad schedule. He's the most proven player on the roster but he SHOULD be a solid backup for a tournament level team not a starter.
      Obviously German can’t help what team he was on or who they played.

However isn’t a better indication how he did against AAC quality teams? Or NCAA quality teams?

In 5 games against North Texas, FAU and Utah he averaged 11.5 points and 7 rebounds.

That’s undoubtedly starting level AAC quality. With a worse cast of players around him than he’ll have here.

Comment

• Last summer Taylor Eldridge was saying Colby Rogers would be the starting SG if he were declared eligible, ahead of Jarron Pierre. Suggesting Rogers and Germany can't start in the AAC is a major stretch based on their past production.

Comment

• I really like Kenny Pohto, but I don't think he's going to a quality P6 program to be a starter at this point in his development. The guy averaged 8.7 and 5.7 in the AAC last year playing 27 minutes a game. If he goes to a quality program he likely comes off the bench and plays ~15 minutes a game.

Comment

• Originally posted by WINGdingBALLfling View Post

Kenpom has UTSA's schedule at 121. That's only 9 spots behind WSU's.
            I see that now ..wonder why it's so different. But I'll take the L on that part of the argument. Hopefully the number translate. Either way, I've said I felt Germany is probably comparable roughly to Pohto (who probably shouldn't have been a starter but we didn't have many options). I still think we are in a lower talent spot than we started (even not counting the seniors we lost, just counting the portal in and portal out players).

Comment

Lol forgive me for not expecting 3pt % to translate to WSU after years of people shooting 10% lower here than they do everywhere else.

I like Rogers but he's not proven based on that one stat
              I'm not arguing, but plenty of Shocker players have struggled mightily with the long ball in-game. I place a fair amount of blame on the lack of offensive sets and "letting the dogs run wild". Far too many of the Shocker 3 balls have just been not good looks, even when they do go in. Lack of individual player AND coaching discipline didn't help. Hopeful for a change.

Comment

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post
                Last summer Taylor Eldridge was saying Colby Rogers would be the starting SG if he were declared eligible, ahead of Jarron Pierre. Suggesting Rogers and Germany can't start in the AAC is a major stretch based on their past production.
                How many times have we brought in a 'great shooter', only for them to shoot 10% lower than they did at their previous place. Never said Rogers can't start, but we really don't have enough data to say he's a for sure starter. I'm excited for him though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

The point flew right over your head.

The 103rd toughest schedule was laughable to a lot of outsiders as we claimed to be one of the top 10 teams in the country -- even coming off a Final Four run.
                  Yes, and the Committee ****ed Wichita State over and heavy loaded the Tourney bracket against them.

Comment

• Originally posted by JVShocker View Post

I'm not arguing, but plenty of Shocker players have struggled mightily with the long ball in-game. I place a fair amount of blame on the lack of offensive sets and "letting the dogs run wild". Far too many of the Shocker 3 balls have just been not good looks, even when they do go in. Lack of individual player AND coaching discipline didn't help. Hopeful for a change.
                    Yea, that's been a consistent theme all the way back to Marshall (cough *Frankamp* cough). But Marshall and IB were the same coaching tree. So yes, I'm also hopeful for a change with a whole new coaching tree and philosophy.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post

Obviously German can’t help what team he was on or who they played.

However isn’t a better indication how he did against AAC quality teams? Or NCAA quality teams?

In 5 games against North Texas, FAU and Utah he averaged 11.5 points and 7 rebounds.

That’s undoubtedly starting level AAC quality. With a worse cast of players around him than he’ll have here.
                      Agreed. Unless his defense is awful, my eyes tell me he is at least better than a backup AAC center. Nobody in the AAC had a backup 5-man with German's mobility or scoring ability. I don't know if he'll be better than Pohto would have been this season, but German wants to be here, and it appears Pohto doesn't. I don't want WSU to be anyone's fallback option, ala Udeze.

Comment

My response gives a valid data point why one might actually be cautious about Germanys production here.
                        Is Kenny Pohto a "for sure starter level" player?
                        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post
                          I really like Kenny Pohto, but I don't think he's going to a quality P6 program to be a starter at this point in his development. The guy averaged 8.7 and 5.7 in the AAC last year playing 27 minutes a game. If he goes to a quality program he likely comes off the bench and plays ~15 minutes a game.
                          I think with the right coach, Pohto could be OK. Just seems like the system he played in under IB was a mismatch for his skillset.

Comment

Sorry, but playing in one game doesn't magically make his 4 year career numbers better than they are. He's a pretty poor shooter over 3.5 years of his career. Normally players don't magically get better shooting when they come to Wichita .. now maybe that was a Marshall/Brown thing and Mills will change that. I'm just not seeing anything that says he's going to step in and be a for sure starter on a tournament level team we hope to be. Miami was a tournament level team and he got a little over 10 minutes a game .. that's it. Lots of potential, I'll agree with that.

Call me a Karen if you want, I'm just trying to be realistic about where we are at. We are halfway through the portal entry period and very much arguably have less talent on the roster than we did last year. 6 Scholarships to fill and outside of 1 or 2 long shots, we haven't been mentioned in contention for anyone that would appear to be an immediate impact player. Abmas was going to be the exception but it appears we got outbid on that.
                            Think what you want - but HCPM has been on the job for less than a month and you are expecting him to have a complete roster - It's obvious that you don't like that he has been hired - At least give him a chance

The guy took ORU - FLIPPING ORU to the tourney TWICE - he's not a chump. I'll at least give him the benefit of not criticizing every move he makes. We are way better off

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Is Kenny Pohto a "for sure starter level" player?
                              Yes, hell yes

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post

Yes, hell yes
                                :) You're not Stickboy46.
                                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Working...
                                X