No announcement yet.

The 2023 Official “Jay Bilas No Rules” Transfer Portal Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've always expected this year to be a rebuilding year. I didn't expect to get Abmas, mostly because I didn't think we had an attractive enough roster for him to want to spend his final year playing with. He's an All-American who wasn't going to settle for a team that could potentially get to the NCAA tournament.

I think a lot of fans are placing unfair expectations on Mills in his first year. He wasn't gifted an NCAA tournament caliber team, and roster turnover is the norm when there are coaching changes. He is rebuilding the program.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
      https://247sports.com/PlayerInstitut...onPredictions/
      2 recent crystal balls to Texas.

If we are going to not get Abmas... Id rather Texas than KSU at least
      My old ‘saggy balls’ are giving me mixed signals…
      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by shocker43 View Post
        I've always expected this year to be a rebuilding year. I didn't expect to get Abmas, mostly because I didn't think we had an attractive enough roster for him to want to spend his final year playing with. He's an All-American who wasn't going to settle for a team that could potentially get to the NCAA tournament.

I think a lot of fans are placing unfair expectations on Mills in his first year. He wasn't gifted an NCAA tournament caliber team, and roster turnover is the norm when there are coaching changes. He is rebuilding the program.
        That's a fair challenge .. I know I'm jaded because just up the street their "rebuild" ended up in an Elite 8. Transfer portal SHOULD make it easier to rebuild. I'd just like to see us land 1 or 2 proven guys vs a bunch of "kids with potential" that also only have 1-2 years left.

Comment

Next years season likely did hinge on Abmas IMO. He was the most likely star to come here that could have made next year a positive one. We didn't get a splash hire and there really isn't any buzz around the program outside of wichita (Like say there was with Tangs hire). HCPM being radio silent hasn't helped. I'm leaning towards it will be a multi year build .. if at all.

I really hope I'm proven wrong in the next few weeks but nothing since the hire has screamed we are ready to compete at the top of D1.
          I don't see how there would have been any possible way that we could have shown we are ready to compete at the "top of D1" this year. If Armchair's NIL funds are right around $500k, that is what top schools are paying individual players. However, there were various schools that I assume had less NIL than us that had great years and tournament success. There's plenty of talent available every year in this era of CBB that a good coach who makes good evals should be able to find success regardless.

Comment

• Originally posted by SshockerR View Post

I don't see how there would have been any possible way that we could have shown we are ready to compete at the "top of D1" this year. If Armchair's NIL funds are right around $500k, that is what top schools are paying individual players. However, there were various schools that I assume had less NIL than us that had great years and tournament success. There's plenty of talent available every year in this era of CBB that a good coach who makes good evals should be able to find success regardless.
            Armchair is just 1 piece of NIL. Nothing is stopping a local business from setting up NIL for 1 million directly with a player. The only thing stopping it .. is we don't appear to have businesses wanting to lol.

Comment

• Doesn't Texas hiring Frank Haith as an assistant once again put us in the lead for MA?

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
                Doesn't Texas hiring Frank Haith as an assistant once again put us in the lead for MA?
                It should. Talk about a staff of proven mediocre coaches.

Comment

• 247sports article on Cleveland. Mentions WSU.

The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

That's a fair challenge .. I know I'm jaded because just up the street their "rebuild" ended up in an Elite 8. Transfer portal SHOULD make it easier to rebuild. I'd just like to see us land 1 or 2 proven guys vs a bunch of "kids with potential" that also only have 1-2 years left.
                    I understand, but also think it's a bit unfair to compare Tang's situation with Mills. We're not in an attractive conference, it turned out that Nowell might have been the best pg in the country, and from what I remember, Tang really only got one big piece (albiet, very big) in the transfer portal. I think Manhattan has a lot of local businesses (I know one of the car dealerships is very big into NIL) that help with their NIL funds.

BUT, I do agree that the portal makes rebuilding less of a process. I think this year is a good example. KSU has been linked to some pretty high-profile portal guys since their E8 run.

Comment

I understand, but also think it's a bit unfair to compare Tang's situation with Mills. We're not in an attractive conference, it turned out that Nowell might have been the best pg in the country, and from what I remember, Tang really only got one big piece (albiet, very big) in the transfer portal. I think Manhattan has a lot of local businesses (I know one of the car dealerships is very big into NIL) that help with their NIL funds.

BUT, I do agree that the portal makes rebuilding less of a process. I think this year is a good example. KSU has been linked to some pretty high-profile portal guys since their E8 run.
                      Don't forget - Nowell had a nice season, but he took a HUGE leap in the tournament. The real guy on that team all year was Johnson...and that was a pretty risky get for Tang. High risk, high reward. Dude collapsed mid-court last time he played.
                      "Say it slowly and savor it..."
                      Nothing worse than sCUm/sKUm

Comment

• Originally posted by JVShocker View Post

Posters have been (not) banned for far, far worse. I wouldn't ban anyone over this.
                        (maybe someone could start a poll to determine whether they should be banned) <------sarcasm

Don't get me wrong, I don't think he's done anything wrong, just that he said perma ban me.

Comment

We aren't in an attractive conference compared to KSU .. and maybe it's just the Shocker fan in me but we are a more attractive program than KSU .. not to mention having to live in Manhattan ..

Comment

Armchair is just 1 piece of NIL. Nothing is stopping a local business from setting up NIL for 1 million directly with a player. The only thing stopping it .. is we don't appear to have businesses wanting to lol.
                            Yeah, I would say the collectives still do most of the funding a lot of places unless there is a LifeWallet in town to take care of things. I do think our NIL has plenty of room to grow if Mills can put out a product that gets the fanbase as a whole back onboard, which I feel like doesn't require a tourney appearance or a top 25 ranking next year so long as the brand of basketball played improves because wins will likely follow as well. If we can re-engage the fanbase, be like 65th in KenPom, win 20 games, and make the NIT I think that would go a long way long-term to getting back to where we want to be and should be viewed widely as a success.

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
                              Doesn't Texas hiring Frank Haith as an assistant once again put us in the lead for MA?
                              From what I have read on their 24/7 board, it sounds like Haith has been the lead recruiter for him.

Comment

• Originally posted by wsushockerdude View Post

Don't forget - Nowell had a nice season, but he took a HUGE leap in the tournament. The real guy on that team all year was Johnson...and that was a pretty risky get for Tang. High risk, high reward. Dude collapsed mid-court last time he played.
                                I mean, he was averaging 18 points, 8 assists. Averaged the 2nd most assists in the country, and top 100 in points per game. Johnson was obviously huge for them, but being able to walk in with a guy like Nowell to run the offense from day one...

Comment

Working...
                                X