As of now, odds IB is back next year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Gene's experienced players of note that he utilized during his 3 years here:

Sasha Radunovich - 3 years (So-Sr)
    Steve Grayer - 3 years (So-Sr)
    Dwight Praylow - 3 years (So-Sr)
    Dwayne Praylow - 3 years (So-Sr)
    Gus Santos - 1 year (Sr)
    Henry Carr - 1 year (Sr)

Experienced players of note he left:

John Cooper - Jr
    Paul Guffrovich - Jr
    Aaron Davis - Jr

You are correct....it was not bare. Would not say he left it like he found it.
    Godd**n right. He did pretty well with Gene's top 40 class (and Joe Griffin). We know the rest of the story...
    Last edited by ShockingButTrue; February 4, 2023, 04:03 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Both as wrong as you can be.

1993 National Coach of the Year

1997 SEC Coach of the Year (for the 2nd time)

Eddie did not peak in his 1st year here. Keep hammering Fogler, and I'll keep snapping you back a mile. This goes for everyone.
      Maybe he's a good husband. Maybe he's an ex-drinking buddy of yours. None of that has anything to do with what he did at WSU. Most of us don't know him other than his constant glum body expression on the sideline. At least that's how I vividly recall him.

Back to his time here in Wichita (and thus the topic); do you know if his 'consulting firm' profile mentions Mike Cohen? Hardly a Summit moment. I've never read it. Have you? It probably does mention that he restored Wichita State to it's former glory though, or something close to it.
      Last edited by ShockingButTrue; February 4, 2023, 04:07 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by rjl View Post

Brown isn't exactly making world-beating money.

Can't decide if your comment is elitist or just dumb.

Comment

Both as wrong as you can be.

1993 National Coach of the Year

1997 SEC Coach of the Year (for the 2nd time)

Eddie did not peak in his 1st year here. Keep hammering Fogler, and I'll keep snapping you back a mile. This goes for everyone.
          My assessment of Eddie is that he was a great coach, but either couldn't assess talent very well or he was so into cleaning the WSU image, that he passed on some talented guys.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post

I better NEVER see Shaq or TP in CKA or at any other WSU game ever again
            TP isn’t stupid enough to try to weasel his way on the AfterShocks in the future, would he?

Shaq being on it last summer was bad enough. I would seriously boycott if TP tried to play.
            78-65

Comment

• I’ll wait patiently here for the copy of Mike Cohen’s head coaching contract that Eddie signed.

Comment

I’ll wait patiently here for the copy of Mike Cohen’s head coaching contract that Eddie signed.
                Doc there's no one I respect more on this esteemed forum but let's be serious, Cohen doesn't take over without Eddie's blessing...or as Uncle Louis would say the Bleeeeessssssiiiiiiiinnnnnnnggggggg.

Comment

• Unfortunately, I think he gets another season.

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post

Doc there's no one I respect more on this esteemed forum but let's be serious, Cohen doesn't take over without Eddie's blessing...or as Uncle Louis would say the Bleeeeessssssiiiiiiiinnnnnnnggggggg.
                    Eddie might have 'gritted his teeth' and publicly approved, but I really believe the late 'Mike Dart' had a lot (A LOT) to do with that hiring of Mike Cohen... Doc can correct me if I'm full of BS.
                    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

That blessing is VERY well delivered. Now someone get me my stogie.

I'm not suggesting Eddie didn't push for Mike. I talked about that with Eddie (group discussion, not 1 on 1, I don't/didn't have that kind of access) and Eddie always had a plan, for EVERYTHING. Eddie worshipped Dean Smith and Dean promoted his assistants and so that's what Eddie did because he thought it was what was expected of him. I don't know if Eddie had enough experience to overcome his arrogance that (I think) clouded his assessment of Mike.

My point was simply ANY decent AD makes his own hire and owns it. If he just took Eddie's word for it, that's on the AD, NOT Eddie.

The Dart family (RIP Shaffer) absolutely had his hands in that mess as he did with so many things related to Shocker basketball in the 80s and early 90s. No BS from WstateU

Comment

• We had fun yesterday talking about this (so wichshock65 shoxlax & WuShock16 are ineligible) but can you name all the coaches 3G can lay claim to in his coaching tree?

There are 9 current D1 Head Coaches believe it or not. And more that were after serving under the HOF for at least a season and became D1HC but aren't now.

Don't look it up.

Name them, GO!

Comment

• In regard to Eddie Fogler, always thought he was trying too hard to be Dean Smith. Certainly he should've taken the lessons from his mentor, but it seemed like he operated on what would Dean do instead of what I should do. In contrast, Roy Williams was a success because he took his Smith pedigree and then forged his own identity.
                          On another note, our old friend Jeff ******* is suggesting Kellen Sampson as a possible candidate for WSU.

Comment

• Originally posted by washedup View Post
                            In regard to Eddie Fogler, always thought he was trying too hard to be Dean Smith. Certainly he should've taken the lessons from his mentor, but it seemed like he operated on what would Dean do instead of what I should do. In contrast, Roy Williams was a success because he took his Smith pedigree and then forged his own identity.
                            On another note, our old friend Jeff ******* is suggesting Kellen Sampson as a possible candidate for WSU.
                            https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/sta...zsjy8NM1Q&s=19
                            Interesting, someone through out Mike Rohn's name. Forgot all about that guy.

Comment

Interesting, someone through out Mike Rohn's name. Forgot all about that guy.
                              Good guy. I remember him as a solid X’s and O’s type. Pretty good recruiter. Maybe not dynamic personality…though it’s been years since I’ve been around him. He’d be a great HC in the Valley, I think.

78-65

Comment

• What do Gregg Marshall and Scott Thompson have that ties them together?

Comment

Working...
                                X