As of now, odds IB is back next year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shox7 View Post
    When Golden mandated that most of the head coaches and assistants take a 20% pay cut during COVID and FHCGM said no. That put GGG on a direct collision course with Golden. Golden was on a mission at that point. I don’t blame GGG at all, he had a contract and wasn’t going to take a pay cut. The entire athletic department was required to cut expenses by 20%.
    Except Darron Boatright got a 20% raise.
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by rjl View Post

What do you mean, Isaac Brown had no experience? Would you believe that when Isaac Brown signed his contract to be the head coach of Wichita State, his experience was so perfect that, in fact, he was the reigning American Athletic Conference Coach of the Year at a school that was so similar to Wichita State that nobody can tell the difference?

If Isaac Brown was not signed to a contract after that year, there would have been NOBODY who would have wanted to coach here. That would have been a tremendously pompous level of disrespect, and I can't imagine anyone would have wanted to coach at a school where that was not enough given the circumstances that Isaac Brown faced. And there was absolutely no indication that Brown's tenure would go the way it has. It was perfectly reasonable to assume that Isaac Brown would do the same as almost every other coach does and improve. Yeah, you could probably name some coaches that peak their first year and then get worse, but the fact that you can name them shows how rare that is. Kevin Ollie is probably the only one I can think of offhand.

Maybe Boatright signed Brown to too-long a contract. I don't know. But Isaac Brown isn't exactly making world-beating money.

You’re standing on quite a branch with all of this.
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by shocktown View Post

Gary Thompson
        Bill Hodges
        Eddie Fogler

Comment

• Originally posted by mattdalt View Post

Eddie Fogler
          For sure.

Comment

• Kelvin Sampson was pretty nice to Wichita State on his way out. He mentioned it as a historical program, and a great venue. This was his comment regarding Gregg, "Everybody knows what a great coach Gregg (Marshall) was.”, and he mentioned Gene Smithson and the program during his time too. He was nice to Gregg in his comments, but to honestly, his style of coaching regarding relentlessly riding players is very similar. I'm just guessing, but he probably has great empathy for what happened to Gregg. Many great coaches have had similar styles, and it just takes one Shaq, and one TP to de-rail everything. He didn't mention IB in the article. It probably is a "racist" oversight.

Comments/Quotes:
            In likely his final trip to Koch Arena, Houston men’s basketball coach Kelvin Sampson heaped significant praise on the Wichita State program and fan base following the Cougars’ 70-61 win over the Shockers on Thursday. “I call the Roundhouse the loud house,” Sampson said. “This is a legendary venue in college basketball. “We’re stuck here in middle America and sometimes people on the east coast don’t realize what great basketball is in Wichita, Kansas. What (K-State coach Jerome) Tang is doing up in Manhattan, people are starting to realize. Well, Wichita State has been doing that a long time. They’ve been great for a long time. Not a good program, a great program and I’ve always been a big fan of Wichita State. I’ve had a healthy, sincere respect for Wichita State basketball for a long time. If this is my last time here, then I thank the good Lord that it ended with a win.”

Sampson still remembers coming to the Roundhouse for WSU’s first home game in the AAC era when the Shockers drilled 10 first-half 3-pointers to ignite the crowd in a 81-63 victory, an 18-point defeat that still ranks as Houston’s most lopsided loss in conference play since the 2017-18 season. “That was one of the worst butt whippings we’ve had,” Sampson said. “They made 20 threes in the first half. We couldn’t shoot that in practice with nobody in there but ourselves. They were all making threes, but they had a good team too. Everybody knows what a great coach Gregg (Marshall) was.” Then Sampson went backward in time to discuss the show-stopping Shocker teams of the 1980s under coach Gene Smithson. “Those Wichita State teams, man, I mean they were awesome,” Sampson said. “Wichita State is a historic program and it’s been a historic program for a long time, not just when they got to this conference.”

https://www.kansas.com/sports/colleg...272060927.html
            Last edited by Shockm; February 4, 2023, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Maybe Boatright signed Brown to too-long a contract. I don't know. But Isaac Brown isn't exactly making world-beating money.
              I'm just a lil ole country boy, but I think 5 million dollars is a lot of money

Comment

What do you mean, Isaac Brown had no experience? Would you believe that when Isaac Brown signed his contract to be the head coach of Wichita State, his experience was so perfect that, in fact, he was the reigning American Athletic Conference Coach of the Year at a school that was so similar to Wichita State that nobody can tell the difference?

If Isaac Brown was not signed to a contract after that year, there would have been NOBODY who would have wanted to coach here. That would have been a tremendously pompous level of disrespect, and I can't imagine anyone would have wanted to coach at a school where that was not enough given the circumstances that Isaac Brown faced. And there was absolutely no indication that Brown's tenure would go the way it has. It was perfectly reasonable to assume that Isaac Brown would do the same as almost every other coach does and improve. Yeah, you could probably name some coaches that peak their first year and then get worse, but the fact that you can name them shows how rare that is. Kevin Ollie is probably the only one I can think of offhand.

False. Reports are that Mark Turgeon would have been willing to take the job, and I know for a fact that Chris Jans REALLY wanted the job. We aren’t the center of the universe. Had we passed on IB after the 2020-21 season, people would have been outraged for 5 minutes and then moved on. We needed to do what was best for us. Darron absolutely failed in that, and now we are potentially f***ed for the foreseeable future.
                78-65

Comment

I debated even replying to your post due to the way you phrased mine.

First, I see you went to the trouble of deleting the first part of my post that was an agreeing statement to the quoted post.

Next, an interim head coach is not the same as having previously being awarded as being hired as a Head Coach. He was made interim, I believe in November, so there was not much time for planning or installing all his own game and practice plans on such short notice.

Sorry, but his AAC Coach of the Year was somewhat tainted. Not, saying he didn't deserve it or that he didn't do a very good job as interim. COVID played a big part in that award. All the games, and important ones, that we did not play. 1) We lost at Memphis by 20 and didn't play them at home, 2) Didn't play 4th place SMU here or there, 3) Beat 5th place Cincy at home by 6, but didn't get to play them there, 4) Beat Temple by 3 at home, the return trip was cancelled. It's not a stretch to see 3 loses in those games. We played 13 conference games, Houston got in 17 and had only 1 more loss than us and Memphis finished only 1 game out of 1st as well with our game not played. We also replaced 2 non-con replacement games with Newman and Emporia St which were 2 of our 15 total wins for the regular season. Houston was 21-3 for the regular season, we were 15-4.

Then there was the late season fade. As the 1 seed in the conference tourney, we only beat USF by 1. Then lost to by a point to 5th seeded Cincy, plus the NCAA lost to Drake.

Yet, with that "successful season", there was the big drop in success the following shortened season and a mass exit of experienced players that pre-season were elated that he had been made official Head Coach.

The bulk of my post was directed at Boatwrong and his nutso contract offer. Not so much the amount, but ALL GUARANTEED for the first 3 years. Incentives should have been a big part of that contract and he would have probably found that out have he done the things I mentioned. Particularly with an already financially strapped program due to COVID and the Marshall debacle.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

I debated even replying to your post due to the way you phrased mine.

First, I see you went to the trouble of deleting the first part of my post that was an agreeing statement to the quoted post.

Next, an interim head coach is not the same as having previously being awarded as being hired as a Head Coach. He was made interim, I believe in November, so there was not much time for planning or installing all his own game and practice plans on such short notice.

Sorry, but his AAC Coach of the Year was somewhat tainted. Not, saying he didn't deserve it or that he didn't do a very good job as interim. COVID played a big part in that award. All the games, and important ones, that we did not play. 1) We lost at Memphis by 20 and didn't play them at home, 2) Didn't play 4th place SMU here or there, 3) Beat 5th place Cincy at home by 6, but didn't get to play them there, 4) Beat Temple by 3 at home, the return trip was cancelled. It's not a stretch to see 3 loses in those games. We played 13 conference games, Houston got in 17 and had only 1 more loss than us and Memphis finished only 1 game out of 1st as well with our game not played. We also replaced 2 non-con replacement games with Newman and Emporia St which were 2 of our 15 total wins for the regular season. Houston was 21-3 for the regular season, we were 15-4.

Then there was the late season fade. As the 1 seed in the conference tourney, we only beat USF by 1. Then lost to by a point to 5th seeded Cincy, plus the NCAA lost to Drake.

Yet, with that "successful season", there was the big drop in success the following shortened season and a mass exit of experienced players that pre-season were elated that he had been made official Head Coach.

The bulk of my post was directed at Boatwrong and his nutso contract offer. Not so much the amount, but ALL GUARANTEED for the first 3 years. Incentives should have been a big part of that contract and he would have probably found that out have he done the things I mentioned. Particularly with an already financially strapped program due to COVID and the Marshall debacle.
                    Bingo. Perfect response!

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                      Kelvin Sampson was pretty nice to Wichita State on his way out. He mentioned it as a historical program, and a great venue. This was his comment regarding Gregg, "Everybody knows what a great coach Gregg (Marshall) was.”, and he mentioned Gene Smithson and the program during his time too. He was nice to Gregg in his comments, but to honestly, his style of coaching regarding relentlessly riding players is very similar. I'm just guessing, but he probably has great empathy for what happened to Gregg. Many great coaches have had similar styles, and it just takes one Shaq, and one TP to de-rail everything.

I better NEVER see Shaq or TP in CKA or at any other WSU game ever again
                      The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

For sure.
                        Both as wrong as you can be.

1993 National Coach of the Year

1997 SEC Coach of the Year (for the 2nd time)

Eddie did not peak in his 1st year here. Keep hammering Fogler, and I'll keep snapping you back a mile. This goes for everyone.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Both as wrong as you can be.

1993 National Coach of the Year

1997 SEC Coach of the Year (for the 2nd time)

Eddie did not peak in his 1st year here. Keep hammering Fogler, and I'll keep snapping you back a mile. This goes for everyone.
                          Agree. I don't get it. And he didn't leave the cupboard bare either.

Comment

• Originally posted by ABC View Post

The worst thing I can say about Fast Eddie is he promoted Cohen as his replacement.

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post

The worst thing I can say about Fast Eddie is he promoted Cohen as his replacement.
                              what could be worse?

Comment

• Originally posted by ABC View Post

Gene's experienced players of note that he utilized during his 3 years here:

Sasha Radunovich - 3 years (So-Sr)
                                Steve Grayer - 3 years (So-Sr)
                                Dwight Praylow - 3 years (So-Sr)
                                Dwayne Praylow - 3 years (So-Sr)
                                Gus Santos - 1 year (Sr)
                                Henry Carr - 1 year (Sr)

Experienced players of note he left:

John Cooper - Jr
                                Paul Guffrovich - Jr
                                Aaron Davis - Jr

You are correct....it was not bare. Would not say he left it like he found it.

Comment

Working...
                                X