As of now, odds IB is back next year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Wichita Willy View Post
    I haven't heard anyone mention sharp shooter Rogers or a healthy QB for next year. Also, agree that single game ticket prices are too much for this poor guy.
    I mentioned Rogers, five posts above yours, in my first bullet as someone that will need to be retain if HCIB is to improve/be more successful next year.

Comment

• My bad, I didn't catch the reference to Rogers.

Comment

• Originally posted by MadDog View Post

Ummm, a team that has improved leaps and bounds from the start of the season, and that is playing a highly entertaining brand of basketball?

I completely get the regime change thinking. I understand IB is lacking in the soft skills required of a head coach, and that fans and donors are staying away. However if he could keep the key guys and add some more Waltons, Rojas, and Pierre quality guys we could be really good next year. The fans would come back, especially if single game ticket prices are adjusted to reasonable levels. For all of his shortcomings I think IB is a decent coach with the X’s and O’s and recruiting.

I’m afraid anyone we bring in is going to lose our good players and it’s going to be two more years before we have any chance of sniffing the tournament again.
        Duped.
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Between the improvement in the product on the floor and the buyout situation. I think he's back and won't be terminated until May1, 2024.

I think attendance could be up next year based on the improvement in product this year, but there would need to be better opponents than we had this year. Also need to retain the players that made the improvements in this years' product.

I also think Saal will be looking and determining who's available, what it would cost to get them, and what kind of booster support he could have for the various coaches he may find are available.

Stick with the song for a few minutes and hear a great keyboard lead,. Oops. thought I was posting this on Facebook.

Dave Matthews Band performing “Two Step” live in Central ParkListen to The Central Park Concert: https://DaveMatthewsBand.lnk.to/dmb_centralpark!2stpListen t...
          Last edited by Aargh; February 27, 2023, 12:57 AM.
          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post
            Welcome to purgatory. IB is here for another season. Can't deny the team is improving (I know too little too late) and we don't have the coin. Barring a collapse the rest of the way I'd be shocked if he didn't get another season. Start preparing yourselves.
            I know it hurts you to say that "can't deny the team is improving"....

Comment

• Can’t worry about the money, Nebraska is paying $32million for four football coaches, Colorado doesn’t have all the money for Prime. The Shocker program has to make a change. Unless you only read shocker faithful, fans are not happy. IB doesn’t even show emotion up or down. Change must happen this March.

Comment

• Can't worry about the money? That sounds a little irresponsible for most entities except the Federal Government. Nebraska from June 1 2021 through June 2022 Nebraska football revenue was 143 Million with a surplus of 12.241 million in surplus Looks like they can afford what they need to do.

Comment

• Originally posted by MadDog View Post

I’m afraid anyone we bring in is going to lose our good players and it’s going to be two more years before we have any chance of sniffing the tournament again.
                  This line of thinking needs to be avoided at all costs. You cannot make coaching decisions on the ability to retain a few players.

This program will be better off with a good hire and zero returning players. Fans will rally behind a good coach trying to build something. We've seen that in the past under both Turgeon and Marshall when they had some struggles the first couple of seasons. You could see something being built and they made you believe that success was on the way. IB does none of that, even with some improved play recently.

We could keep IB and retain some players, but it's only going to delay the amount of time we wait before we have any chance of sniffing the tournament again.

Hiring a new coach and losing every player > Keeping IB and retaining a few players.
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by molly jabali View Post

I know it hurts you to say that "can't deny the team is improving"....
                    Improving from losng at home to a SWAC team in November.
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

This line of thinking needs to be avoided at all costs. You cannot make coaching decisions on the ability to retain a few players.

This program will be better off with a good hire and zero returning players. Fans will rally behind a good coach trying to build something. We've seen that in the past under both Turgeon and Marshall when they had some struggles the first couple of seasons. You could see something being built and they made you believe that success was on the way. IB does none of that, even with some improved play recently.

We could keep IB and retain some players, but it's only going to delay the amount of time we wait before we have any chance of sniffing the tournament again.

Hiring a new coach and losing every player > Keeping IB and retaining a few players.
                      What, you think Chris Beard or Pittino is looking forward to coaching on the sidelines at 21st & Hillside over the other opportunities that will become available very soon? Beilein and Matta had no interest 3 years ago whatsoever. What's changed now? Maybe Brad Stevens wants to end his career in Wichita? Oh, wait...

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

What, you think Chris Beard or Pittino is looking forward to coaching on the sidelines at 21st & Hillside over the other opportunities that will become available very soon? Beilein and Matta had no interest 3 years ago whatsoever. What's changed now? Maybe Brad Stevens wants to end his career in Wichita? Oh, wait...
                        That's a very defeatist way of thinking. Lets just relegate ourselves to 2nd class citizens in the NCAA world. We have no idea who was or wasn't interested 3 years ago because we never did a search. We have no idea who ADKS has connections with because he's only been here a year.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

That's right, don't waste time looking for the best. Go after mediocrity.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

That's a very defeatist way of thinking. Lets just relegate ourselves to 2nd class citizens in the NCAA world. We have no idea who was or wasn't interested 3 years ago because we never did a search. We have no idea who ADKS has connections with because he's only been here a year.
                            It doesn't bother me at all to let you know it's all moot at this point Stick.

Comment

• I don't like that he will be back, but I've always expected him to be back at least for next year. I do think IB is getting better and the team is getting better. It is an indict on IB that it took so long for them to get to this point.

I'm less concerned about transfers than most seem to be. The players have been giving coaches credit more this year, taking blame for not playing well despite coach's game plan, players like Pierre have talked about how the coaches getting onto him about defense made him buy into the system, etc. Last year there were clear issues in the locker room, the coaches were obviously not communicating well with the players, and that lead to the transfer situation. We will have transfer, but I don't think we will lose our most important players.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post

That's right, don't waste time looking for the best. Go after mediocrity.
                                Now where did I say don't look for the best? By all means court B. Stevens. Hell yeah! Maybe Jay Wright will want to walk the sidelines again? Maybe Jim Calhoun is bored with retirement? Does E. Fogler still run a consulting firm?

Comment

Working...
                                X