As of now, odds IB is back next year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mattdalt View Post
    Is IB potentially the 4th coach hired in recent history that will never be a head coach again? Cohen, Smithson, Thompson. Is IB next?
    Actually Cohen is the only one not to coach again. Thompson was head coach at Cornell after WSU, and Smithson went back to coach at a junior college.

Comment

• If I had to guess, while I don't agree with it, it will likely turn into one more season where the off-season ends up being a situation where IB has to fire a couple of Assistants and try to get some better developers onto the staff. There is some decent talent on this team, just needs to be developed. Waterman, IB and Butch Pierre are all known as recruiters, leaving Billy Kennedy as the only guy who can really hang his hat on development, in-game tactics etc. That has to be fixed. Look at our Final Four staff, Heiar and Jans. Both head coaches of D1 teams. The undefeated team, Heiar, Jans AND Forbes. Unreal talent. There's not a single assistant that we have that will ever be a D1 head coach (Granted Kennedy already has his time as that but still). That's a big part of the issue.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan_realist View Post
        If I had to guess, while I don't agree with it, it will likely turn into one more season where the off-season ends up being a situation where IB has to fire a couple of Assistants and try to get some better developers onto the staff. There is some decent talent on this team, just needs to be developed. Waterman, IB and Butch Pierre are all known as recruiters, leaving Billy Kennedy as the only guy who can really hang his hat on development, in-game tactics etc. That has to be fixed. Look at our Final Four staff, Heiar and Jans. Both head coaches of D1 teams. The undefeated team, Heiar, Jans AND Forbes. Unreal talent. There's not a single assistant that we have that will ever be a D1 head coach (Granted Kennedy already has his time as that but still). That's a big part of the issue.
        Couldn't disagree more. Someone is developing some talent. Who, I don't know. But now that they have moved away from that dumb ass 3 man weave at the top of the 3 point line and moved to a new team philosophy of getting the ball to a high or low post, I have seen some of the players improve drastically. Rojas would be by first piece of evidence. He was terrible in that old offensive scheme, but thriving in the new scheme. Pohto would be my second piece of evidence though he really needs to put some meat on those bones. Not sure about Walton or Porter, as I believe they have maintained the talent they already had. And I am probably alone in the belief that Pierre is improving and will be great next year and beyond.
        I think the problem is discipline when someone is stepping out of line. Examples; Pierre jacking up 3s too quick. Bell letting people drive by him like he's a fence post. I could go on and on about where I felt guys should be pulled for bonehead play.

I think the effort should be put into Pierre, poor bear and Scott at this point. 4.5 quality guys is not enough to play 200 minutes of high intense ball.

Comment

• Here's to hoping he can be bumped up to Brian Gregory status....lol

"He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan View Post
            Here's to hoping he can be bumped up to Brian Gregory status....lol

I don't see how Kenny Payne gets a second year in which to turn around. It shouldn't be hard enough to recruit to Louisville to at least get a few wins in the conference. But he's managed to go winless so far, and only two wins on the whole season. Woof.
            The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

• Not sure how most, if any of that, is some sort of scoop. I could have observed most of those things lol.
              "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                We had fun yesterday talking about this (so wichshock65 shoxlax & WuShock16 are ineligible) but can you name all the coaches 3G can lay claim to in his coaching tree?

There are 9 current D1 Head Coaches believe it or not. And more that were after serving under the HOF for at least a season and became D1HC but aren't now.

Don't look it up.

Name them, GO!
                Late to the party, but before scrolling here’s my guesses:

Isaac Brown - Wichita State
                Steve Forbes - Wake Forest
                Chris Jans - Mississippi State
                Greg Heiar - New Mexico State
                Donnie Jones - Stetson
                Earl Grant - Boston College
                Dana Ford - Missouri State
                Randy Peele - ?

Did Marty Gross take a D1 job when he left A&M CC?

Soon to be added to list:

Matt Braeuer

Comment

• Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post

Late to the party, but before scrolling here’s my guesses:

Isaac Brown - Wichita State
                  Steve Forbes - Wake Forest
                  Chris Jans - Mississippi State
                  Greg Heiar - New Mexico State
                  Donnie Jones - Stetson
                  Earl Grant - Boston College
                  Dana Ford - Missouri State
                  Randy Peele - ?

Did Marty Gross take a D1 job when he left A&M CC?

Soon to be added to list:

Matt Braeuer
                  You got all the WSU-related ones. There are two from 3G’s Winthrop days. One has been in our arena as an opposing head coach. If you can get the other one, I’ll be really impressed.

78-65

Comment

• Barclay Radebaugh is definitely one of them, right? Trying to think of the other one but I doubt I can.

Comment

• Yeah, I think I'd probably like to change my vote at this point. With the lack of funds available to find a replacement and with the excuse now that they have actually made some decent improvement late in the season, I can definitely see him being retained for one more year unfortunately.

Comment

• Two years ago, John Brannen would have been one of them technically (he played at Marshall when 3G was an assistant).

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
                          Barclay Radebaugh is definitely one of them, right? Trying to think of the other one but I doubt I can.
                          I only knew this because Kellen mentioned his name one time.

Check the previous coaches of our incoming transfers.
                          78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

I only knew this because Kellen mentioned his name one time.

Check the previous coaches of our incoming transfers.
                            Ah, found it. Zach Spiker. Grad assistant for Marshall from 2000-02. Now at Drexel.

Comment

• Please let this game be the nail in IB's coffin. I just can't stand it anymore

Comment

• Get that idiot out of here

Comment

Working...
                                X