Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who should be Wichita State's Head Coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rjl View Post

I guess you haven't been watching the games. Our offense is completely different.
    I guess I have. Yes it changes after 1.5 seasons of not working. Guess you didn't read what I wrote
    Just like the blown leads, even while playing better, slow response. In games as close as the shockers have lost. Slow response is normally costly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maizerunner08 View Post
      The real dividing line on this board is expectations.

Some fans have expectations that WSU should be top 4 in conference, contending for an NCAA bid every season.

Other fans believe there should be patience with the coach, team, etc. and that the fans in the first group are too negative or asking for too much.
      The AAC we joined, in the hypothetical all those programs were firing on all cylinders? Agreed, top four is a little hopeful.

Top four in the the AAC as of next year? Holy hell... I hope so. We're now back in a conference that is basically a little better version of the MVC and A10.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post

The AAC we joined, in the hypothetical all those programs were firing on all cylinders? Agreed, top four is a little hopeful.

Top four in the the AAC as of next year? Holy hell... I hope so. We're now back in a conference that is basically a little better version of the MVC and A10.
        5 top 100 teams. 3 of those in the top 50. The MVC wishes it was only a little worse than what the AAC will be next year.

The MVC currently has 3 top 100 and none in the top 50. And they have 6 schools 200+.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

5 top 100 teams. 3 of those in the top 50. The MVC wishes it was only a little worse than what the AAC will be next year.

The MVC currently has 3 top 100 and none in the top 50. And they have 6 schools 200+.
          But in their minds, WSU is in way over its head and leaving was a huge mistake. Not leaving sooner probably was . . .

Comment

• And I didn't realize how the A10 looked this year. Only 2 top 100 teams with 67 being the best. Then there are 5 at 200+ with Loyola being at the bottom.
            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by calfan View Post
              If I am the AD, Brown isn't coming back next year. I tried to wait till the end of the year to make my final decision. I have heard all the arguments for and against coach Brown.

At the end of the day, I don't think Brown is the best coach for WSU moving forward.

Barring a miracle, WSU will miss playing in the postseason for the second year in a row. When is the last time that happened?

Under coach Brown, WSU this year has two quad 4 losses and no quad 1 wins.

As the AD, you have to be able to see past the short-term pain of paying people who aren't working for WSU to what is best for the school in the long term.

You have to be able to make hard decisions and letting Brown go is one of them.

Some people have said that getting a new coach won't change things. K-State and Missouri might disagree.

I think the assistant coaches at Houston deserve a look along with Darian DeVries at Drake just to mention a couple of names.

There are some good coaches out there. Let's go get one.
              "Talk to me Ross, talk to me Ross"... Ross agrees %...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

Doc, fever needs you to bail him out again...
                That’s all you got?

Take your big fat L and run along son.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by rjl View Post

If you don't think we saw improvement this season, then you weren't watching.
                  Doesn’t take much to improve from a loss to a SWAC powerhouse at home.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

Yea .. a few of the newbies will be battling for the conference title next year. No one is Houston level but we are bringing multiple teams that are better than Cincy this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Yea .. a few of the newbies will be battling for the conference title next year. No one is Houston level but we are bringing multiple teams that are better than Cincy this year.
                      And UCF
                      I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• Originally posted by calfan View Post
                        If I am the AD, Brown isn't coming back next year.

As the AD, you have to be able to see past the short-term pain of paying people who aren't working for WSU to what is best for the school in the long term.
                        I totally agree with the logic and the fact that IB needs to go, but the sentence I left from this post is the elephant in the room. What are you going to pay those people with? WSU athletic department isn't the US government and can't just run the printing presses. I don't know the possibility or feasibility of the athletic department taking on major debt, but that's what it would take.

Perhaps there's a very well-heeled donor who wants IB gone bad enough to cover his buyout. If that's the case then Saal has pulled a rabbit out of his hat.
                        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• I’ll know one thing for sure, I’ll be checking SN an awful lot after the season is over. ADKS has his first big decision to make.

Comment

• I have gone back and forth on whether I think IB should get another year. No doubt the last few weeks our offense is better. We have improved. We are 31-29 in our last 60 games. That is not up to most Shocker fans expectations. We have 16 losses in Wichita in the last 2 years that isn’t acceptable. I have always thought that a bare minimum requirement for Shocker men’s basketball would be to get to the NIT at least every other year. That doesn’t look possible this year. IB’s unwillingness to speak to boosters or civic groups in an effort to promote the program is a strike against him. No doubt he is a nice man. IB’s confusing substitution pattern is also concerning. Example Okafor and Scott disappearing for several weeks then suddenly playing the last couple of games. That rarely happens with good coaches. The loss of really good players to the portal is not a good sign for IB. That fact that RickyIV was coming off the bench last year when he was clearly a better player than JP is another strike in my mind. The biggest concern is the obvious drop in SASO and season ticket renewals. As ADKS said to me, before the season began “the bottom line is Mens Basketball has to Win”! In my mind we have won, but not enough at home, along with the other items I mentioned above, my guess is if we don’t get to 18 wins, we will have a new coach next year. As you can tell I am guessing but I would support ADKS if that is what happens.

Comment

• IB just plays 7 players and expects the others to sit 2 or 3 games then when he needs them to play a couple of minutes then sit another couple of games. How can you expect anyone to play at AAC level if they seldom get the chance. Our starters are usually so tired at the end of the game that they can hardly get the ball to the front of the rim for a free throw. It is hard to come off the bench and produce if you don't get any game experience. I am so tired of "I tell them to be ready when their chance comes". Okafor impressed me the last game and I wondered where he had been since the first of the season. I really liked Chauncey Jenkins last year but he seldom got to play. I understand he is doing pretty good with a different team. If you want them to help when you need them you have to give them consistent minutes. They might not be any good but how would we know. THERE IS NO WAY I CAN SUPPORT IB FOR ANOTHER YEAR!

Comment

• I'm not good at identifying offensive sets, but I think I noticed a change in the offensive schemes about the time that the Shox offense started clicking.

From what my not that knowlegable eyes saw, IB was running GGG's sets up until about the mid point of this season. Then the offense switched to something I don't ever recall seeing in Marshall's games. Shammah Scott pretty much confirmed that observation when he said he had seen all the offensive sets IB used at the beginning of the season when he played for Heiar.

EVERYBODY knew how to defend that high ball screen pick and roll and they always blew it up, which resulted in the perimeter guys dribbling, passing the ball to each other and jacking up a 3. Damn, the second unit even blew it up at Shocker Madness.

The legitimate criticism of IB is that he stuck with GGG's offensive schemes too long. Those schemes hadn't been working well the last several years when Marshall was coaching and they REALLY didn't work with the players IB had.

Grant Sherfield was an effecrtive PG at both UNLV and OU. He was a dribbler and pass the ball around the perimeter guy when he was at WSU. We were happy to see him gone. He was probably happier than us to get away from WSU, because his skill set was incredibly under utilized in the system in which he was playing.

FVV, Baker, Early, Hall (the Beast) and Cotton could effectively run Marshall's system, but that's 3 NBA guys. 3 NBA guys, a player who earned the nickname :The Beast" and Cotton. That's a group that we haven't seen together at WSU since Carr, Levingston, and Dreiling, and it's not likely that ANYBODY, even Marshall, is going to get a group like that again for another couple of decades.

Marshall's system was incredibly effective at Winthrop and in the MVC. It was less effective against teams with more athletic and quicker players and the higher level coaches that were in the AAC.

IB stayed with Marshall's system too long. He should have recognized it wasn't working and put in something different a lot sooner.
                                Last edited by Aargh; March 7, 2023, 12:54 AM.
                                The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                                We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Working...
                                X