Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who should be Wichita State's Head Coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Popular or not, it's right.
    I’m glad to hear this opinion. I always wondered why his career never really took off.

Comment

• Lon Kruger for a couple years, with an Assoc HC to take over?
      The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
        Lon Kruger for a couple years, with an Assoc HC to take over?
        Erik Spolstra or Pop?
        People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post

I don't buy this. Look at Baylor University. Murders, rapes and scandals galore. I don't see much negativity from media or many folks for that matter. In fact, they were able to raise plenty of cash for their football stadium, post scandals. And they are still competitive in many top sports.
          WSU isn’t Baylor. A school like Baylor has more leeway.

Comment

• The “why” of this is exactly what’s effed up about college sports.

Comment

• K state just beat Baylor at Baylor in overtime. Is there a Jerome Tang out there somewhere? Now 14-1 and top of Big 12.

Comment

• Anybody who thinks it's desirable or even possible for Beard or Marshall to be the next coach has pretty much forfeited their right to criticize the players BB|Q.
                The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by giskard View Post

WSU isn’t Baylor. A school like Baylor has more leeway.
                  Sure, Baylor's coach can cover up a murder, can recruit known rapists and that's ok ?
                  WSU would survive just fine even if they did hire GM of Beard.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post

Sure, Baylor's coach can cover up a murder, can recruit known rapists and that's ok ?
                    WSU would survive just fine even if they did hire GM of Beard.
                    People have short memories -

Winning solves everything

Comment

• Originally posted by moshock View Post

Jans grabbed a woman's butt in a bar. That woman didn't file a police report and didn't get involved in the mess that came from that.

He was unemployable for several years even though he was a proven winner. His rehab was two years of unemployment followed by getting a low-level job at WSU where he wasn't even an assistant coach.

that was for grabbing a woman's butt in a bar when the woman didn't complain.

When there's a police report that documents bruises, contusions, and bite marks on the woman, but doesn't document a single mark on the guy, it's pretty tough to claim self defense and make it go away.

WSU already has a former coach with well-documented anger management issues (Canada). Then there are allegations that he punched a player, which resulted in his termination. WSU CANNOT bring that coach back and expect him to recruit at anything resembling the level at which he previously recruited.

Bringing in another coach with obvious anger management issues who is facing possible felony domestic violence charges would be an incredibly stupid hire.

A coach has to be able to go into a recruit's home and talk to his mother. It could take a decade before Mama forgets that Marshall was alleged to be abusive. Mama isn't going to want Beard anywhere near her home. That's likely to fade into memory quicker than Marshall's alleged incidents.

The emotion that Marshall brought is what made him the successful coach that he was. That same high level of emotion is what eventually brought him down.

Bill Self cheated his a$$ off for years, and he's one of the most respected coaches. Marshall and Beard are on the other end of that spectrum. Make either of them the coach and the color commentators on TV will keep their indiscretions alive as long as they're coaching.

Winning is everything, but the ability to win has to be taken into consideration when hiring a coach. the ability to recruit and maintain recruits is the most important value a coach can have in the current environment. Marshall's record in his later years doesn't indicate that he had the ability to keep players in the program.

We've got an AAC top tier contender if the players who left under Marshall's watch were still here.
                      Last edited by Aargh; January 7, 2023, 11:08 PM.
                      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Three Assistant coaches worth considering are Ira Bowman-Auburn, Antoine Pettway-Alabama, and Rod Clark-Tennessee.

Comment

• Originally posted by moshock View Post

Or the fact that their coach, Dave Bliss, was fired and they had to rebuild with a new coach.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ashockalypse View Post

I heard that discussions with 3G are under way.
                            Proof?

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Apology not necessary. My last comment was independent of my Greg Heiar comment.

1)Gregg Marshall is not coming back.

2)Pass on Greg Heiar. I don't believe he's capable of running this program and I don't believe he's a long term solution. He would be an upgrade, but barely.
                              Absolutely agree with your first point; your second point I think remains to be seen. His first year at NMSU is not going as well as it should be, but I don’t think it’s entirely GH’s fault. Additionally, are we certain after paying out IB & Marshall we’ll be able to land a high profile coach with a large contract? We may have to go after someone who is willing to take a smaller salary or an up-and-coming individual if we want change.

Comment

• If Beard could bring his two 5* recruits with him his value is even greater but, of course, that would be a very big "if"

Comment

Working...
                                X