Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who should be Wichita State's Head Coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

I'm not a fan of hiring another coach without head coaching experience
    That is pretty much where I land.

That hire would make me nervous
    "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan View Post

That is pretty much where I land.

That hire would make me nervous
      I found it a bit odd also. That being said, Tang certainly worked out at K-State. I’d feel ok about it. The thing I would dislike the most is he has a shoe-in job to leave already.

Comment

• Originally posted by MadDog View Post

Can’t believe this candidate would be at the top of anyone’s list for WSU.
        No ****.

Comment

• I agree mostly with not hiring ACs with no HC experience.

Having said that, I can recognize the difference between a typical AC that's has only a specific role to play and an Associate-HC that has been groomed too take over a program or take another HC gig elsewhere.

IB was the former and not the later. If younger Sampson is the later, I could be on board with it. (If his teams play like his father's teams and the Play Angry Marshall teams, I'd be even more onboard with it.)
          The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
            I agree mostly with not hiring ACs with no HC experience.

Having said that, I can recognize the difference between a typical AC that's has only a specific role to play and an Associate-HC that has been groomed too take over a program or take another HCing gig elsewhere.

IB was the former and not the later. If younger Sampson is the later, I could be on board with it.

If his teams play like his father's teams and the Play Angry Marshall teams, I'd be even more onboard with it.
            If we went with someone with no HC experience, I'd rather go with Griffin.

Comment

• If Sampson is the pick I would’ve rather us given IB another year.

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

I've said before, that idea intrigues me:

- VERY well respected by NBA coaches, players, and personal.
                - Local ties
                - Should have connections to NBA level talent from academies and prep schools (these NBA guys know all the upcoming players)
                - Ought to be able to build a staff around him to guide the waters from NBA to NCAA

Not saying he's the best option out there, but he would be someone I would hire over a lot of others.
                The Assman

Comment

• Interesting (although not surprising) that Eldridge mentions there is a lot of money supporting Jans. Both for Jans and for the NIL.

I don't think it would be enough. But Interesting none-the-less.
                  "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

Yea he's my one exception

Comment

• I would prefer to see somebody with proven head coaching experience, but I just did a little research on Kellen Sampson and liked what I saw. Listened to some interviews on Youtube and he is very well spoken and you can watch him run drills in practice and tell he knows how to teach the game. There is no denying the Sampson family has a monster of a program built up in Houston right now and Kellen would be familiar with the league.

He's been in coaching now since 07-08, he's won conference titles, been to the final four, coached top ranked teams. There arent a ton of coaches on the market that knows what it takes to reach those levels of success through experience. I think he is worth bringing in for an interview and if Saal thinks he has what it takes, I would be confident in that hire. Personally I would feel a lot more safe hiring Kellen than Adrian Griffin, even more so now that we missed our chance to get a year of his son as a Shocker.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post

I've said before, that idea intrigues me:

- VERY well respected by NBA coaches, players, and personal.
                        - Local ties
                        - Should have connections to NBA level talent from academies and prep schools (these NBA guys know all the upcoming players)
                        - Ought to be able to build a staff around him to guide the waters from NBA to NCAA

Not saying he's the best option out there, but he would be someone I would hire over a lot of others.
                        I agree. IF we have to go with someone unproven. Then I take a chance on Griffin. Assuming he still wants it. NCAA getting more and more like the NBA every day anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan View Post
                          Interesting (although not surprising) that Eldridge mentions there is a lot of money supporting Jans. Both for Jans and for the NIL.

I don't think it would be enough. But Interesting none-the-less.
                          Well. There is one group of people that could fund all that by themselves if he's interested AND they want to.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan34 View Post
                            I would prefer to see somebody with proven head coaching experience, but I just did a little research on Kellen Sampson and liked what I saw. Listened to some interviews on Youtube and he is very well spoken and you can watch him run drills in practice and tell he knows how to teach the game. There is no denying the Sampson family has a monster of a program built up in Houston right now and Kellen would be familiar with the league.

He's been in coaching now since 07-08, he's won conference titles, been to the final four, coached top ranked teams. There arent a ton of coaches on the market that knows what it takes to reach those levels of success through experience. I think he is worth bringing in for an interview and if Saal thinks he has what it takes, I would be confident in that hire. Personally I would feel a lot more safe hiring Kellen than Adrian Griffin, even more so now that we missed our chance to get a year of his son as a Shocker.
                            You could say that exact bolded quote about HCIB though.

Comment

• Last edited by Topshock; March 11, 2023, 08:13 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShauXTyme View Post
                                I just hope Texas doesn’t go off and hire their interim as the HC. I mean, he’s never been a HC and won the Big12 tourney with Beard’s players. They should be looking towards Richey.
                                No they should sign him to a 10 year $80 million contract and double his Income in the buyout Claus. That's about equal to boat right/ IB contract in comparison of school money.
                                But it won't happen, their AD has intelligence.
                                Last edited by Atxshoxfan; March 11, 2023, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X