Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who should be Wichita State's Head Coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

There is a certain portion of the fan base making excuses for HCIB and making arguments why he should be retained. They don’t really care about expectations, as long as he is a player coach who gives milk and cookies and never says a harsh word.
    Case in point there is Taylor Eldridge article that there is only a “segment of the fan base” that are disgruntled.

Comment

Case in point there is Taylor Eldridge article that there is only a “segment of the fan base” that are disgruntled.
      Do you think it's impossible to both (1) not be a psycho who hits players, and at the same time (2) win games? Or is your position that the only way a guy can be a winning coach is to be abusive?
      The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

It's a large segment. I don't know a single person who is happy with or wants to retain IB. I do see a few from time to time on socials, but they're in the minority.

What's worse, I think another large segment of the fan base has simply checked out. They're not disgruntled, they simply stopped caring and that's even worse.

I know that I'm a nobody, but if IB isn't gone, I am. I can't put up with more of this level of ineptitude and hopelessness.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

And if no change happens, all of those things just become worse as even less money will be flowing into the department.
          This is absolutely true.

The only way out of the mess the previous AD left is for the athletic department to take on some serious debt. I'm not able to speculate on the feasibility or possibility of that happening. If it's not possible, then the damage has been done and the future of the basketball program is pretty bleak until all the buyouts are finished.

If IB's buyout can't be done, and his contract can surely not be extended, then his ability to recruit will be damaged, The ability to keep players with a pulse will totally depend on the NIL $$ that can be offered.
          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• The idea that the vast majority of the fan base is not disgruntled is completely absurd for anyone who has stepped foot into CKA this season and looked at the 7K-8K empty seats every game.

Good god what a derp-derp take.

Comment

Disgruntled is one thing. Complacent is huge.

Comment

• The local beat writer who relies on cooperation and sources from the WSU athletic department and the programs within the athletic department is not going to come out and say something like, "Wichita State sucks and a ton of people are pissed off." His comment about it being a "segment" of the fanbase is a big nothingburger.
                "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• mentioned in a saso board meeting in 2017 that the numbers were starting to skew and the smaller fan was being priced out. boatright responded by saying “but we had X% more in totsl revenue” year over year. he didnt get it. for myself and the majority of my crew that used to attend games, we watch very casually and rarely make a visit to campus.

in addition, current and future estate plans have changed. from athletics to academics and other important issues.

how many have done something similar? its obviously quite a few. btw, i was a super guardian giving level.

https://goshockers.com/sports/2015/6..._Benefits.aspx

Comment

• Originally posted by rjl View Post

Do you think it's impossible to both (1) not be a psycho who hits players, and at the same time (2) win games? Or is your position that the only way a guy can be a winning coach is to be abusive?
                    So were you the one person who actually saw what happened?!
                    The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
                      Expectations by most fans a 25-50 program. Reality with a buyout of a former HC and a current HC with a department with no money and from what I hear no prospects of a huge influx of cash so where is the realistic balance point here? Not saying where we are is acceptable but until the reality changes I don't see any other change happening at this time.
                      "Find the deal, and the money will find you."

Find the right coach and the money will be there to make it happen.
                      Last edited by Shock Top; February 17, 2023, 11:23 AM. Reason: grammer
                      The Assman

Comment

To be fair to Taylor, there is only two segments:

The Assman

Comment

• Its possible to be disgruntled but still enjoy the little things along the way (like a 14 point road win in league against a team ahead of us in the standings). Does it mean people think everything is ok? well some might .. but most probably realize that making a change is really expensive. No matter how much people want to scream and yell, they can't commit to a termination if they can't afford it. It's a public university at the end of the day that has financial accountability. If the money is there, most expect a change to be made. Some can also see that while the team is still well below our expectations, they are at least trending the right direction now. So if the money isn't there, no point in wallowing in pity, just take it for what it is.

Comment

• I've been very critical of IB this year although I do think he's evolved as a coach this season. Case in point is sitting players for making mistakes and not working hard in practice. The offense has evolved as well and I credit a lot of that to players learning how to play together and within the system. I don't care who our coach is as long as I can see improvement year over year so we can get back into the NCAA Tourney within 2-3 years. If IB is retained, we must overhaul the bottom of our roster and retain the top. If he has another mass exodus we need a coach that can keep a roster together.

Comment

• If, and I say IF, we win a sold out game vs Memphis in a week and we make it to the tournament finals I might be encouraged and reconsider my thoughts on replacing IB. More importantly, can he get KP and JW to commit quickly to returning????? No question the team has been trending up lately and he desrves some of the credit.

Comment

• Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
                                . More importantly, can he get KP and JW to commit quickly to returning????? .
                                If somebody offers either one of them $200,000 to leave, they'll leave

Comment

Working...
                                X