Game Day Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
    Promotions are needed for $$$. Simple fact.

For those that went to Arch Madness know that when their host/MC did the promotions, it was MUCH better than the way WSU has continued to do them for years. Good balance of keeping the crowd as engaged as possible and getting corporate sponsorship $$$ durning dead spots/timeouts.

Would I’d be nice to never do a promotion and have the band play bangers every second they can? Sure. However, since you are going to have to do promotions and play music at certain moments, you might as well do it with as much production value as you can.

The balance they need to find is to know when each one is called for.

Sometimes the band playing Low Brass Cheer or the War Song is the play, other times the DJ playing some Timmy Trumpet or Sandstorm will keep the crowd juiced. Also, a DJ and MC can do a good just of getting the crowd reengaged as the teams take the floor coming out of the timeout or after the band is done playing.

(Not to mention, they will hopefully utilize the lighting system to add another layer to the excitement and atmosphere.)

I see these changes as a net win.
    I have to admit, I lost a lot of my enthusiasm for Shocker basketball the past few years. It began during FHCGM's last couple of years and Covid really yanked it out of my system. Could be as simple as "oldfartitis", but I just wasn't as pumped about Shocker basketball as I have continued to be since the Great Depression; some of the 'fun and enjoyment' was simply missing. Just having ADKS on board, has me sippin' a little moonshine again.

P.S. In fairness, during Ross and my time at the "U", we played in front of minuscule crowds. No band, no cheerleaders, no DJ's, no nuttin'.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by Shocks1972 View Post
      Like the overall game day experience plan except...Emcee Jillian Carroll was annoying at the Windsurge and will be here as well!
      That was a jilted ex kind of first post.
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

He's not wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Your sniffer still works, Fev.

Comment

Well if Shocker Madness is a example of the new game experience we will be losing attendance no matter how good the team is. That was an embarrassing evening. The emcees are annoying. I can't believe any age group can enjoy the constant yelling that you can't understand. I truly did not enjoy my time there and even the scrimmage was nothing. NOT THE WAY TO SELL THE PROGRAM.

Comment

There are some pretty harsh assessments of tonight’s activities on here. It wasn’t that bad. I thought the new look band was really good. It was like an indoor marching band. The MC’s were impossible to understand anything they were saying. They need to tune the system. I don’t think I understood one word Jillian said, but she sure said a lot of words for sure! It was really great to see the new players and start formulating opinions of who the biggest contributors will be. So I give credit to WSU for trying new things to liven up the event. Not sure how you could really expect anymore than what we got out of it.

That being said there is one major improvement that could be made. Get rid of the womens basketball activities. The scrimmage was a complete joke. One of the girls kept trying to grab and hold whoever she was “guarding”. It was like watching the biddy basketball exhibitions they used to do at halftime. Let the women have their own Shocker madness, and spare the majority of us that only come to check out the mens team.

Comment

Originally posted by MadDog View Post
                Get rid of the womens basketball activities. The scrimmage was a complete joke. One of the girls kept trying to grab and hold whoever she was “guarding”. It was like watching the biddy basketball exhibitions they used to do at halftime. Let the women have their own Shocker madness, and spare the majority of us that only come to check out the mens team.
                Ross and I didn't have to share the limelight with nuttin' back in our days at Fairmount U...

Comment

Originally posted by MadDog View Post
                  There are some pretty harsh assessments of tonight’s activities on here. It wasn’t that bad. I thought the new look band was really good. It was like an indoor marching band. The MC’s were impossible to understand anything they were saying. They need to tune the system. I don’t think I understood one word Jillian said, but she sure said a lot of words for sure! It was really great to see the new players and start formulating opinions of who the biggest contributors will be. So I give credit to WSU for trying new things to liven up the event. Not sure how you could really expect anymore than what we got out of it.

That being said there is one major improvement that could be made. Get rid of the womens basketball activities. The scrimmage was a complete joke. One of the girls kept trying to grab and hold whoever she was “guarding”. It was like watching the biddy basketball exhibitions they used to do at halftime. Let the women have their own Shocker madness, and spare the majority of us that only come to check out the mens team.
                  Going to guess the new AD who has preached since day one that all 15 sports are working together to better the Athletic department is not going to purposely split up the men's and women's basketball showcase.

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post

Ross and I didn't have to share the limelight with nuttin' back in our days at Fairmount U...

Wasn’t that about the same time that Freddy was there?
                    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post

Wasn’t that about the same time that Freddy was there?
                      Freddy was born in 1925; that’s the year Ross led East High to the national high school championship… Freddy was a youngin’ and the cat’s pajamas (coolest)…
                      ​​​​​​
                      RIP brother Frederick (Freddy) Simon.

RIP brother Ross McBurney. Attention new ADKS; hang Ross’s jersey! And hang an ‘honorary’ jersey for another former Shocker, Frederick “Freddy” Simon.

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

Freddy was born in 1925; that’s the year Ross led East High to the national high school championship… Freddy was a youngin’ and the cat’s pajamas (coolest)…
                        ​​​​​​
                        RIP brother Frederick (Freddy) Simon.

RIP brother Ross McBurney. Attention new ADKS; hang Ross’s jersey! And hang an ‘honorary’ jersey for another former Shocker, Frederick “Freddy” Simon.
                        All kidding aside, did you really know Ross? I know he passed away in the late 80’s so I’m sure someone on this board would have met him, even if they were a little kid.

Comment

• Not having Ross in the rafters is one of the great injustices of the world. I'm not sure how WSU has gone this long without rectifying this.
                          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

All kidding aside, did you really know Ross? I know he passed away in the late 80’s so I’m sure someone on this board would have met him, even if they were a little kid.

Comment

• Originally posted by B1ShockFan View Post
                              Well if Shocker Madness is a example of the new game experience we will be losing attendance no matter how good the team is. That was an embarrassing evening. The emcees are annoying. I can't believe any age group can enjoy the constant yelling that you can't understand. I truly did not enjoy my time there and even the scrimmage was nothing. NOT THE WAY TO SELL THE PROGRAM.
                              Actually, the band, "Shocker Sound Machine" has been around 3 years or so...it's a bit different than "Shocker Sound" that plays up in the stands. We need more of both!!! And FAR LESS yelling from someone on a mic. If that keeps up, I'm staying home. Honestly, my ears can't take it. There have been a few games in the past where the sound on the speakers is turned up too high on the RECORDED music. Just let the band play. I had a guy sitting next to me who said he wouldn't be back since it was too loud with the recorded music. I'm not an old fuddy-duddy...but I don't want to be "uncomfortable" during the game either.

Comment

• Originally posted by Singeril View Post

Actually, the band, "Shocker Sound Machine" has been around 3 years or so...it's a bit different than "Shocker Sound" that plays up in the stands. We need more of both!!! And FAR LESS yelling from someone on a mic. If that keeps up, I'm staying home. Honestly, my ears can't take it. There have been a few games in the past where the sound on the speakers is turned up too high on the RECORDED music. Just let the band play. I had a guy sitting next to me who said he wouldn't be back since it was too loud with the recorded music. I'm not an old fuddy-duddy...but I don't want to be "uncomfortable" during the game either.
                                The feedback that was given to the staff was the opposite .. just FYI ... at least for the critical moments. The people in the group I was at all complained that we had the sound on whisper mode and did nothing to enhance the experience.

Comment

Working...
                                X