Game Day Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NCAABound View Post
    Any other updates on the gameday experience against Newman? Just curious how it went besides the sound.
    I mentioned in another thread that the emcee effort was better. Less in your face and hysterical. Still audio trouble, unfortunately. Very difficulty to understand. No contests to speak of except for the "Find Wu" blind folded bit. Overall it was a C. But in my opinion the game day experience is totally dependent on a full house that is engaged. And that is directly related to basketball success.

Comment

• I thought the student section was way, way above average, especially considering the opponent and time of year. Hats off to all involved, you absolutely make a difference.

I hope it's not a one time thing. Add another 10 rows of students with that level of engagement and the Chuck will be tough again.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
        I thought the student section was way, way above average, especially considering the opponent and time of year. Hats off to all involved, you absolutely make a difference.

I hope it's not a one time thing. Add another 10 rows of students with that level of engagement and the Chuck will be tough again.
        It really seems like the Shock Block, or whatever the student section is calling itself now, is really becoming organized and there's an actual effort to make it a real student section.

Comment

I thought the student section was way, way above average, especially considering the opponent and time of year. Hats off to all involved, you absolutely make a difference.

I'm glad you brought that up. I totally forgot to mention that earlier. I was really impressed with how many kids showed up and made good noise last night. Kuddos to the kids! That was really a good start. And the band is always spot on.

Comment

Very awesome to hear.

I mentioned this to my daughter and she said it is because they actually checked student ID'S this time. That has been a big gripe I guess. Students have been upset because they didn't used to consistently check ID'S and that ended up with non-students sitting in that section. Probably how you ended up with some of the old fogies my age sitting down low in that section lol. Well that and they moved GA to the upper part of that section to let the students cram in down low. How it should be!!!

Hopefully they continue to do this!
            Last edited by shockerfan; November 3, 2022, 11:15 AM.
            "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan View Post

Very awesome to hear.

I mentioned this to my daughter and she said it is because they actually checked student ID'S this time. That has been a big gripe I guess. Students have been upset because they didn't used to consistently check ID'S and that ended up with non-students sitting in that section. Probably how you ended up with some of the old fogies my age sitting down low in that section lol.

Hopefully they continue to do this!
              I noticed Super Fan was still front and center. Probably showed up early/mid afternoon too. I used to see him at the arena that early and wanted to quote Judge Smails by saying, "Don't you have homes?!?!" (RIP Ted Knight). It's one thing when you have to arrive that early. It's completely different when you beat the next student by a couple hours.
              78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

I noticed Super Fan was still front and center. Probably showed up early/mid afternoon too. I used to see him at the arena that early and wanted to quote Judge Smails by saying, "Don't you have homes?!?!" (RIP Ted Knight). It's one thing when you have to arrive that early. It's completely different when you beat the next student by a couple hours.
                That's too bad. Hopefully they continue to crack down. I do know they moved the "screaming idiots" off the front row. Campus also needs to push and advertise the games a little more and better. But hopefully the students just keep spreading the word and coming to games. I agree with everyone, a good student section (even a small one) really adds to the atmosphere!
                "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

That's too bad. Hopefully they continue to crack down. I do know they moved the "screaming idiots" off the front row. Campus also needs to push and advertise the games a little more and better. But hopefully the students just keep spreading the word and coming to games. I agree with everyone, a good student section (even a small one) really adds to the atmosphere!
                  I believe that's something that Saal has taken an active part in trying to do in reaching out to the Greeks. They really can drive, organize and motivate a core group of students if they want to. I hope the effort is kept up by all.
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

The banter with a nice contingent of Newman fans was enjoyable… the Mrs and I laughed a lot. Even though the attendance was embarrassing (might have caused the slow start), it was a fun evening.

Yes, I had my doubts; negative thoughts crept in most of the first half (with exception of 17-0 run with second unit), but the second half was totally night and day. The fans that showed up and stayed after half were treated to some quality play and hustle. Dare I say a little “MTXE”. We have some “dudes” on the roster. I just hope we can coach them up. They can’t all play as much as they’d like, so we’ll see how HCIB handles the roster and team chemistry.

I have some concerns, but I’m going to support this team. I know they had to be disappointed with the crowd (size) last night and hopefully we’ll add a few thousand Monday night. At my age you can’t get too high or low… appreciate the good times and don’t beat yourself up too much during the bad.

Go Shocks!
                    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

a near full house against a good opponent and a close game.
                      Might be few and far between this season. Particularly the good opponent and close game aspect...

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

The world needs ditch diggers too Danny...

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

Might be few and far between this season. Particularly the good opponent and close game aspect...
                          I'm afraid the close games won't be against good opponents and the good opponents won't be close games.
                          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

I'm afraid the close games won't be against good opponents and the good opponents won't be close games.
                            You act like IB hasn't had a single close game against Memphis.

Oh wait.
                            78-65

Comment

LOL, who were the "screaming idiots"? Non-students?

Comment

• Originally posted by Maizerunner08 View Post

LOL, who were the "screaming idiots"? Non-students?
                                Yes. At least the main ones. That's what they called themselves after Mark Adam's referred to Shocker fans as screaming idiots.

Comment

Working...
                                X