Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rrshock View Post
    So is there still the band? It sounds like the DJ may be doing that now
    As sad as that is, they were slowly headed that way since limiting it to current students. The only way they could make it go with a band these days is to cram a small drum corp in there. No woodwinds. Big Brass and Big ol drums and a bad 3x the size. Smack people in the face with a wall of sound.
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post

As sad as that is, they were slowly headed that way since limiting it to current students. The only way they could make it go with a band these days is to cram a small drum corp in there. No woodwinds. Big Brass and Big ol drums and a bad 3x the size. Smack people in the face with a wall of sound.
      Yes and no. Shocker Sound (the pep band) and Shocker Sound Machine (the drum corpse style ensemble) are thriving. There is a full sax section in both. It is a crying shame that there will be less of our outstanding student ensembles and more canned crap at games.

Comment

Funny how something like “Sweet Caroline” unites every generation of a crowd. More and more teams are going to the one adopted sing along song.

Comment

Are they seriously replacing the band??? Huge thumbs down.
          Brummett throws, STRUCK HIM OUT! THE SHOCKERS ARE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! AN UNBELIEVABLE STORY!

Comment

Originally posted by Onegreatracer View Post
            Are they seriously replacing the band??? Huge thumbs down.
            No, they are not

Comment

Definitely not replacing the band. My step son is in Shocker Sound Machine.

I do fear the band will have less of a role now.

I may not like some of the changes (Emcees, DJ), but I know it has to happen and am glad our new AD is listening and implementing.

Though not a gameday experience change, I really like the addition of academic patches to the uniforms.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
                Like it or not, the emcee and DJ format is the trend in basketball these days and that is what people (particularly younger generations) want to see. It provides entertainment value and keeps the hype level up.
                Wait a minute. The younger generation? THIS generation? (for the official record I just copied and pasted this, I did not make it)

The gold standard may be headed in a new direction.

Comment

Originally posted by JVShocker View Post

Wait a minute. The younger generation? THIS generation? (for the official record I just copied and pasted this, I did not make it)

The gold standard may be headed in a new direction.

I don't think that global warming will be the event to do the world in.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                    Definitely not replacing the band. My step son is in Shocker Sound Machine.

I do fear the band will have less of a role now.

I may not like some of the changes (Emcees, DJ), but I know it has to happen and am glad our new AD is listening and implementing.

Though not a gameday experience change, I really like the addition of academic patches to the uniforms.
                    Agreed, the band has always gone back-and-forth with the canned music so hopefully they’re just replacing the canned music they used before with the DJ running that aspect but still allow in the band to play. My biggest complaint has always been when we get to a huge moment in a game and the band should fire up the low brass chear and they make them sit on their hands while they do some stupid promotion or playing canned music and the crowd all sits back down. The band is the only thing that will keep the crowd on their feet and clapping. I don’t know why that’s so hard for them to understand

Comment

Love the changes to the game experience and the ability to get things done! Haven't people been complaining about better busing to games for a while now? (honest question). Either way, ADKS has built up some serious early goodwill from this Shocker fan!

Comment

Originally posted by shock-it-to-me View Post

Agreed, the band has always gone back-and-forth with the canned music so hopefully they’re just replacing the canned music they used before with the DJ running that aspect but still allow in the band to play. My biggest complaint has always been when we get to a huge moment in a game and the band should fire up the low brass chear and they make them sit on their hands while they do some stupid promotion or playing canned music and the crowd all sits back down. The band is the only thing that will keep the crowd on their feet and clapping. I don’t know why that’s so hard for them to understand
                        I disagree that the band is the ONLY way to keep the crowd in it. The right canned music can also do that ... it worked very well during the TBT this summer. Just needs to be immediate, loud and with a good clappable beat. Not the kiss cam, or someone attempting free throws for a free sandwich.

But I will say the message about killing the momentum was voiced loud and clear in the meeting I was in. So based on everything else we've seen from ADKS so far, I expect it to be handled better.
                        Last edited by Stickboy46; October 27, 2022, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

I disagree that the band is the ONLY way to keep the crowd in it. The right canned music can also do that ... it worked very will during the TBT this summer. Just needs to be immediate, loud and with a good clappable beat. Not the kiss cam, or someone attempting free throws for a free sandwich.

But I will say the message about killing the momentum was voiced loud and clear in the meeting I was in. So based on everything else we've seen from ADKS so far, I expect it to be handled better.
                          Cool. I hope so. But the band is ALWAYS better than canned. I’ve never once seen our home crowd stay on their feet for canned music.

Comment

Originally posted by shock-it-to-me View Post
                            Cool. I hope so. But the band is ALWAYS better than canned. I’ve never once seen our home crowd stay on their feet for canned music.
                            Your statement is true .. but i think that's more an indication that they play crap canned music rather than canned music not being effective at all.

Comment

Like the overall game day experience plan except...Emcee Jillian Carroll was annoying at the Windsurge and will be here as well!

Comment

Promotions are needed for $$$. Simple fact.

For those that went to Arch Madness know that when their host/MC did the promotions, it was MUCH better than the way WSU has continued to do them for years. Good balance of keeping the crowd as engaged as possible and getting corporate sponsorship $$$ durning dead spots/timeouts.

Would I’d be nice to never do a promotion and have the band play bangers every second they can? Sure. However, since you are going to have to do promotions and play music at certain moments, you might as well do it with as much production value as you can.

The balance they need to find is to know when each one is called for.

Sometimes the band playing Low Brass Cheer or the War Song is the play, other times the DJ playing some Timmy Trumpet or Sandstorm will keep the crowd juiced. Also, a DJ and MC can do a good just of getting the crowd reengaged as the teams take the floor coming out of the timeout or after the band is done playing.

(Not to mention, they will hopefully utilize the lighting system to add another layer to the excitement and atmosphere.)

I see these changes as a net win.
                                The Assman

Comment

Working...
                                X