Game Day Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
    Not having Ross in the rafters is one of the great injustices of the world. I'm not sure how WSU has gone this long without rectifying this.
    Per the 1927 Parnassus, "Sports writers of the future in searching out W. U. basketball history will scan the mellowed leaves of annuals and newspapers until they unearth the records of that glorious year 1927 when the shocker basketeers fought their way to a virtual tie for first place in the state and soared on to third place in the nation.
    In the 'Who's Who" of basketball they will find engraved the name of the great McBurney who, in his rangy six feet three inches was at once a guard, a forward, and a center. All-American high school center, all-State and all-National center in three years are the achievements of McBurney. He has brought honor to W. U. athletics."

Comment

• I say we track down the closest living relatives of Ross and celebrate them and him as he's honored with long overdue recognition and gets his place in immortality inside CKA and apologize for it taking so long to do it.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

Don’t deny it. We know you’re at least 120 years old.

Comment

• Originally posted by Singeril View Post

Actually, the band, "Shocker Sound Machine" has been around 3 years or so...it's a bit different than "Shocker Sound" that plays up in the stands. We need more of both!!! And FAR LESS yelling from someone on a mic. If that keeps up, I'm staying home. Honestly, my ears can't take it. There have been a few games in the past where the sound on the speakers is turned up too high on the RECORDED music. Just let the band play. I had a guy sitting next to me who said he wouldn't be back since it was too loud with the recorded music. I'm not an old fuddy-duddy...but I don't want to be "uncomfortable" during the game either.
          This wasn't "whisper mode"...this was Blatant ear hurting recordings in the pre-game. It was compounded by people just arriving into the arena and so there weren't as many bodies to "soak up" the sound from an acoustics point of view. Just let the band play...they are one of the best around when given a chance. Have we forgotten that they won the Battle of the Bands at the 2013 Final Four? Now, they've been silenced.

Comment

• "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by Singeril View Post

This wasn't "whisper mode"...this was Blatant ear hurting recordings in the pre-game. It was compounded by people just arriving into the arena and so there weren't as many bodies to "soak up" the sound from an acoustics point of view. Just let the band play...they are one of the best around when given a chance. Have we forgotten that they won the Battle of the Bands at the 2013 Final Four? Now, they've been silenced.
              My whisper mode comment was about previous years. It seemed at times they were trying save electricity costs by keeping the PA/Sound system on the lowest possible setting.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

My whisper mode comment was about previous years. It seemed at times they were trying save electricity costs by keeping the PA/Sound system on the lowest possible setting.
                This was about 3-4 years ago. Painful. Again, it was in the pre-game stuff while people were coming in. You had to Yell in order to talk to a person right next to you. I'm all for a loud game atmosphere...but there are limits to what the ear can safely handle.

Comment

• Originally posted by WINGdingBALLfling View Post

Per the 1927 Parnassus, "Sports writers of the future in searching out W. U. basketball history will scan the mellowed leaves of annuals and newspapers until they unearth the records of that glorious year 1927 when the shocker basketeers fought their way to a virtual tie for first place in the state and soared on to third place in the nation.
                  In the 'Who's Who" of basketball they will find engraved the name of the great McBurney who, in his rangy six feet three inches was at once a guard, a forward, and a center. All-American high school center, all-State and all-National center in three years are the achievements of McBurney. He has brought honor to W. U. athletics."
                  Almost brings a tear to your eye.
                  Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Almost brings a tear to your eye.
                    … and remains a travesty. Everyone needs to call Saal.
                    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• RH: Podcast with Connor Phelps on Shocker Atmosphere - Wichita State Athletics (goshockers.com)

Connor Phelps, director of marketing and fan engagement, joins the podcast to talk about music, promotions, food and more as Shocker basketball season arrives. Phelps, a Wichita State graduate, discusses how the game-day staff organizes music and promotions, what's new for fans at Koch Arena and what he learned from his time as a student working in the athletic department.

Phelps returned to Wichita State in September after working at Lipscomb University in Nashville as director of marketing. He attended Wichita State and has a master's degree in sport and fitness administration/management and a undergraduate degree in sport management.

The Roundhouse – WSUtv (wichitastate.tv)

Comment

• They need to turn the mics or audio up, because it’s hard to hear higher up in the area.

They just needed to tell people kick rocks when they put those upper arena speakers several years back, only to immediately take them down due to complaints (if memory serves me well).
                        The Assman

Comment

• We’re in Row 20 — not far up. But I could not hear/understand either of the new people tonight. I could tell they were talking, because I could see it on the Jumbotron. If you gave me real folding money, I could not tell you what they said. I could figure out that a blindfolded guy was going to try to find Wu based on hints from the crowd. Only because I saw it, though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker Mama View Post
                            We’re in Row 20 — not far up. But I could not hear/understand either of the new people tonight. I could tell they were talking, because I could see it on the Jumbotron. If you gave me real folding money, I could not tell you what they said. I could figure out that a blindfolded guy was going to try to find Wu based on hints from the crowd. Only because I saw it, though.
                            Yup, the audio was awful tonight. I can't believe they can't figure it out. Its just a muddled mess

Comment

• Any other updates on the gameday experience against Newman? Just curious how it went besides the sound.

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAABound View Post
                                Any other updates on the gameday experience against Newman? Just curious how it went besides the sound.
                                It was ok .. not great. Still needs lots of work. Unfortunately the sound aspect completely derailed any attempt at improvement because you had no idea what they were trying to say. I will say ... the lady's voice is NOT conducive to being on loud speakers .... even at soft volumes..

Overall though, its really hard to tell from that game as it was a 1/3 full arena against an overmatched opponent. The real key will be when we have a near full house against a good opponent and a close game.

Comment

Working...
                                X