Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021-22 Basketball happenings around the American Athletic!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WuTheOne View Post

There are plenty of examples of history not being learned that are strictly related to athletics. In the short time I've been a member of this group, I've learned to avoid the political forums. Even the supposedly non-political covid forum is highly politicized. Afghanistan has become a political hot button.

Can we, please, leave political hot spots out of the sports-related forums so there can be some areas where we can politely and pleasantly disagree and discuss sport-related topics without encroaching on politics?

The post I'm quoting is fairly neutral, but Afghanistan isn't.
    The fact that you think that post is politically-biased says a lot about your grasp of history, actually.

- The nightmare that is the past 20 years in Afghanistan is owned evenly by two Republican presidents, and two Democratic presidents.

- World wars have almost nothing to do with the American left or right.

- Market fluctuations have been blamed on the left and the right.

- And speeding tickets.... not sure where to go with that.
    Last edited by SHOCKvalue; August 20, 2021, 12:37 PM.

Comment

• "The Cowboys (Oklahoma State) have added another nonconference matchup to their 2021-22 slate. OSU will take on Houston in Fort Worth as part of the Hoop Hype XL College Basketball Showcase on Dec. 18."

Comment

• I'll believe it when I see it.

Memphis Could be the best team since... 2008-09

Memphis has been steady under the tutelage of program alumnus Penny Hardaway, who projects to have a roster that's capable of sending the Tigers to the NCAA tournament for the first time in his tenure, which is entering its fourth year.

Memphis recently landed a commitment from talented center Jalen Duren, who reclassified to the 2021 recruiting class in order to play for the Tigers next season. He'll join returners such as Landers Nolley II (13.1 ppg and 4.1 rpg), DeAndre Williams (11.7 ppg and 5.8 rpg), Lester Quinones (9.5 ppg and 5.8 rpg) and Alex Lomax (6.0 ppg and 4.2 apg), along with transfers Chandler Lawson (4.4 ppg at Oregon) and Earl Timberlake (9.3 ppg at Miami).

The Tigers will have to prove their capable of making the NCAA tournament, let alone contending for a top-four seed or winning multiple games once they're there, but they won the NIT last season (which is often a precursor to greater success in the NCAA tournament) and they had the most efficient defense in the country, per kenpom.com. They've won between 20 and 22 games in each of Hardaway's three seasons as head coach, and 10 or 11 AAC games in the regular season in each season, so now if the additions of Duren and the team's incoming transfers can improve the talent level, Memphis could potentially break through not only make the NCAA tournament, but have an extended stay.

The last time the Tigers did that was in 2009, when a John Calipari-coached Memphis team went 33-4, earned a No. 2 seed and advanced to the Sweet 16.

Comment

• Their hype happens every year. No one requires results to meet the hype.

Comment

• I’m sorta over Dick Vitale.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bluzrover View Post
              I’m sorta over Dick Vitale.
              I like him now alot better.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post

I like him now alot better.
                Yeah he’s fine (actually, pretty darn good) as a 2 minute analyst on a sports center segment. Just so long as he’s not calling an entire game, where he becomes insufferable.

Comment

• Originally posted by shock-it-to-me View Post

Yeah he’s fine (actually, pretty darn good) as a 2 minute analyst on a sports center segment. Just so long as he’s not calling an entire game, where he becomes insufferable.
                  I agree.

Comment

• Vitale is hard to listen to, but at least he seems to genuinely enjoy college basketball. Bilas (and others like him) piss and moan non-stop about officiating and the NCAA to a point where they're unlistenable.
                    "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Comment

• Memphis is a perennial NIT power. I expect nothing less this year.
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• If WSU was on the same trajectory as Memphis - NIT, ???, NIT championship - returned most of their key players and brought in a highly ranked draft class I would not expect them to make the NCAA tournament. That seems completely unreasonable given the circumstances.

Talk Memphis up or don’t. Talk WSU up or don’t. What the media says or doesn’t, especially in August, has zero impact on what’s going to happen.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                            Memphis is a perennial NIT power. I expect nothing less this year.
                            and I expect nothing more

Comment

• I'll stick my neck out and say that I think Memphis could be a second weekend team in the NCAAT this year. Their defense is suffocating and they improved drastically as last season progressed (DeAndre Williams changed the complexion of the team). That being said, their biggest weakness is at the PG position. The lack of an elite ball handler could hold them back.

Comment

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post
                                That being said, their biggest weakness is at the PG position. The lack of an elite ball handler could hold them back.
                                Unless Lomax decides to keep his head in the game, and up when he drives into the lane.

I think Larry B. might make a positive impact on team chemistry.

Comment

Working...
                                X