Clear All

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

What if Cunningham misses that 3 ....
    We go to overtime?
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

i think this hiring will go over very well with the national media for whatever that is worth. Perhaps help a little bit on the recruiting trail. Just having the uncertainty gone will help with that.

Comment

Congratulations to Coach Brown! Makes my heart feel good to see loyalty to the program and perseverance through difficult times rewarded. Can't wait to see the team take the court again!

Comment

Originally posted by ArtVandalay View Post
          Only real beef I have is not knowing what kind of, if any, coaching search was conducted. I've seen things I like, but also seen things that make me wish we knew how to run an offense. I'm not mad about the hire, just don't think we blew the roof off either.
          I get it we want the best and we should. But at some point if you're dating a girl and she's getting the job done you put a ring on it and close down your Match.com. May be that IB had offers and had more cards to play than we know. He has certainly acquitted himself well so far.
          Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Originally posted by ShauXTyme View Post

I would just like to offer, and encourage, anyone else who feels this way to kindly leave. Don’t make the next 2-3 years a bunch of “I told you so” or “if Marshall was still coach” crap. If you don’t like the decision, keep it to yourself.
            Even though I’m unsure, I came here not planning to be negative at all, but this is over the top. Are you against the 1st Amendment on everything if people don’t agree with you.

Comment

Pretty cool stuff happening. From the outside looking in, IB looks like a humble leader of men and that kind of leadership can get your guys to do anything for you. Happy for him and for the guys, and I think there’s a bright future ahead here too. Very much looking forward to seeing how IB does on the recruiting trail with all this momentum he’s built up.

Comment

Super happy for Coach Brown. Given how well he has done this year the added factors of preserving our current roster and not losing ground on the current recruiting cycle make finalizing things now a beneficial move.

One thing that is worth considering about Brown's status as a player's coach (and you can see that in the team's reaction to the news) is the trendline for NCAA rules on transferring. Aside from the upcoming free for all due to covid, it sure looks like having to sit out a year is a thing of the past in NCAA basketball, which makes coaches that are well-liked by their players a more important commodity than it once was in college basketball for maintaining a stable program.
                "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
                  Super happy for Coach Brown. Given how well he has done this year the added factors of preserving our current roster and not losing ground on the current recruiting cycle make finalizing things now a beneficial move.

One thing that is worth considering about Brown's status as a player's coach (and you can see that in the team's reaction to the news) is the trendline for NCAA rules on transferring. Aside from the upcoming free for all due to covid, it sure looks like having to sit out a year is a thing of the past in NCAA basketball, which makes coaches that are well-liked by their players a more important commodity than it once was in college basketball for maintaining a stable program.
                  In the past, they’ve called it a one time, no sit transfer. Has that changed? If so, it will be difficult to keep your bottom 1-3 Freshmen, etc. happy. Otherwise, it shouldn’t make a big difference. However, if more than a one time transfer, it could be very difficult to manage a roster.

Comment

Originally posted by Wuzee View Post
                    Hoping it's a deal where IB told Boatright "I've got a 6-10 stud who eats glass and blocks shots in his sleep ready to sign tomorrow. Let's do this."
                    Bingo (Mading)!

He's (Waterman too) also in on some decent looking guards from the state's of N. Carolina and Texas high school classes.
                    Last edited by ShockingButTrue; February 26, 2021, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

In the past, they’ve called it a one time, no sit transfer. Has that changed? If so, it will be difficult to keep your bottom 1-3 Freshmen, etc. happy. Otherwise, it shouldn’t make a big difference.
                      For next year yes, but looking at the frequency of exemptions that have been handed out in recent years (not for us, of course), the norm of having to sit out is clearly eroding.
                      "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post

For next year yes, but looking at the frequency of exemptions that have been handed out in recent years (not for us, of course), the norm of having to sit out is clearly eroding.
                        You didn’t answer if you mean unlimited transfers. That would be unsettling to all teams, especially those who have one and dones.

Comment

Originally posted by ShauXTyme View Post

I would just like to offer, and encourage, anyone else who feels this way to kindly leave. Don’t make the next 2-3 years a bunch of “I told you so” or “if Marshall was still coach” crap. If you don’t like the decision, keep it to yourself.
                          I hope it doesn’t come to that, but it sound like you are already resigned to mediocrity.
                          People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Hopefully, that is the way we feel in a week or two.
                            Especially if there is a flurry of movement by coaches in the off season.
                            People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

You didn’t answer if you mean unlimited transfers. That would be unsettling to all teams, especially those who have one and dones.
                              I'm not predicting unlimited transfers at this point, more making a general statement that the leverage on transfers has been swinging more towards players and away from coaches and schools in recent years. I'm not sure what the final equilibrium/rules will look like, but I think combative coaches will have a harder time running programs in that environment than they did when the leverage was more in their favor.

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post

Especially if there is a flurry of movement by coaches in the off season.
                                I was thinking only as far as our road matches against Tulane and Temple who we should beat. Those road wins are tough if you don’t rebound and defend at a high level mixed with a shooting slump and our team hasn’t been a good shooting team, most of the year.

Comment

Working...
                                X