Isaac Brown: Head Coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShockAzs View Post
    Congratulations to Wichita State Head Coach Brown. He and the team have earned this. There's no reason at this point to doubt HCIB, as I have seen him adapt and improve markedly. The players believe in him, the administration believe in him, and now Shocker Nation can decisively move forward, and our new leader HCIB laying the foundation.

My instinct tells me this will work out very well for all involved.
    No doubt. IB is hardly a newcomer to recruiting at the D1 level, and, I agree, he's also proven this season that he can make intelligent in-game adjustments.

The Shockers remained relevant nationally this year (maybe more than last year) largely due to his leadership. Heck, Dick V. hasn't given a shout-out to the Shocks since he called the MVC tournament way back when, before there was a thing called "mid-major."
    Last edited by ShockingButTrue; February 27, 2021, 05:15 AM.

Comment

He has earned it! Congrats! HCIB!
      I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

I know that programs are not built on 1 player, but.... What about 2?

My thought all along, is that we need to hire someone that will ensure that Tyson AND Ricky stay on the team. Because if those 2 guys are on the team, we will contend for the conference. They are currently a Frosh and a Soph, and TE is legit POY material type ****. And Ricky in his time on the court already has a catalog of moves that make your jaw drop. (AND THE SHOTS ACTUALLY GO IN!) I think hiring IB keeps them here for their college career, and that, to me is reason enough for the hire. I can't wait to watch those guys take over games. Tyson already does. Seriously, has anyone seen a shot go through the twine like Tyson's does?

It just feels right.

I know that this may not be a popular opinion, but I just wish Sterling Chapman would have stayed committed. Because having him on this team as a local kid could have added to the new era starting out with a bang, but oh well. Maybe he'll transfer back.

Anyway, TE and RC are the foundation. IB will obviously need to augment the squad, but having player leadership from the start is HUGE.
        "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

It would appear that the players are on board and that defections this coming off season will be very minimal, if any. Regardless of how much a player might like a coach they might stil have reasons to want to transfer most prominently (I would think) would be playing time. In this day and age it would be difficult to confidently predict no defections. But if there are defections I would expect that to be among guys who did not play a lot this season.

The most immediate challenge for HCIB is to get this team properly focused and ready to finish the season strong.

Obviously recruiting is an always present activity and his comments suggest they are still be as active as possible under the rules currently in place. in his favor in the short-term is that our immediate needs are not great. In fact, if everyone does return next year we have no schollies available unless HCIB wants to pull a scholarship from a player. Not sure that he would be very prone to do that.

It will be interesting to see what happens with his assistants and what his staff will look like. A lot of turnover there can have an impact both in team performance and on recruiting (both current and future prospects).

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
            It would appear that the players are on board and that defections this coming off season will be very minimal, if any. Regardless of how much a player might like a coach they might stil have reasons to want to transfer most prominently (I would think) would be playing time. In this day and age it would be difficult to confidently predict no defections. But if there are defections I would expect that to be among guys who did not play a lot this season.

The most immediate challenge for HCIB is to get this team properly focused and ready to finish the season strong.

Obviously recruiting is an always present activity and his comments suggest they are still be as active as possible under the rules currently in place. in his favor in the short-term is that our immediate needs are not great. In fact, if everyone does return next year we have no schollies available unless HCIB wants to pull a scholarship from a player. Not sure that he would be very prone to do that.

It will be interesting to see what happens with his assistants and what his staff will look like. A lot of turnover there can have an impact both in team performance and on recruiting (both current and future prospects).
            IB can add two scholarships even if our current seniors return. Special rule for this year only.

Comment

Originally posted by WeWillShockU View Post

IB can add two scholarships even if our current seniors return. Special rule for this year only.
              Good catch. I had forgot about that.

Comment

I would not be surprised to see 1 or 2 assistant coaches move on. Ron Baker available?

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                  Look at the scenario many posters wanted.

As soon as the NCAA tourney is over, start talking to coaches. Line up some interviews. Wait to see what happens on the coaching carousel before finalizing anything.

IB isn't going to just sit around and wait. He's going to be getting some very good offers after the year he had. IB could be announced as the HC at another school while DB is still doing his "due diligence" in order to find the "best available" candidate. It's very possible the "best available" candidate just took another job.
                  When this season is over I’d like a list of schools that potentially would’ve offered IB $1.2 mil+. I just don’t see it.

The only scenario I’m perfectly fine with that someone else mentioned is that if ADDB put out some feelers already and wasn’t received well.

Comment

Originally posted by AndShock View Post

When this season is over I’d like a list of schools that potentially would’ve offered IB $1.2 mil+. I just don’t see it.
                    It's posted here

Comment

This seems a little quick on the trigger for a top 40 program to jump on board with a lifetime Asst. Coach even though he has handled adversity and won games. I would still like to know why if he is so well qualified has no one ever come at him hard to be their Head Coach in 19 years especially when GM assistants seemed to be popular? I do not know anything about his life so maybe someone can enlighten me as to wife, family, etc. to be good reps. for the Shockers such as community activities, assist with fundraising

Having said this, as a Shocker fan since 1965, I am happy for Coach Brown and wish him a life time of success right here at WSU. Appears the players respond to him and genuinely like him which is probably a good thing in todays world.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
                        I know that programs are not built on 1 player, but.... What about 2?

My thought all along, is that we need to hire someone that will ensure that Tyson AND Ricky stay on the team. Because if those 2 guys are on the team, we will contend for the conference. They are currently a Frosh and a Soph, and TE is legit POY material type ****. And Ricky in his time on the court already has a catalog of moves that make your jaw drop. (AND THE SHOTS ACTUALLY GO IN!) I think hiring IB keeps them here for their college career, and that, to me is reason enough for the hire. I can't wait to watch those guys take over games. Tyson already does. Seriously, has anyone seen a shot go through the twine like Tyson's does?

It just feels right.

I know that this may not be a popular opinion, but I just wish Sterling Chapman would have stayed committed. Because having him on this team as a local kid could have added to the new era starting out with a bang, but oh well. Maybe he'll transfer back.

Anyway, TE and RC are the foundation. IB will obviously need to augment the squad, but having player leadership from the start is HUGE.
                        Ricky has a higher ceiling, but Dexter is still a better player at this time, especially if he continues to play and rebound like he has the past few games. Ricky is phenomenal in the open court, makes acrobatic plays, and I think he will develop into a consistent rebounder, and shooter, but he needs to work on his consistency on offense, rebounding, and defense. At this time, I'd take Tyson, and Dexter, and then Ricky, but next year, Ricky could take another step up.

Comment

While I am not predicting it or betting on it maybe HCIB will be our unknown, low-key diamond in the rough like Mark Few at Gonzaga.

Few was a 10-year assistant at Gonzaga and when Dan Monson, who also had about 10 years of experience as an assistant coach mostly with Gonzaga, left to take the MInnesota job (what a bad career move that was) he moved over a chair to take over the head coaching duties. Arguably less experienced and as equally unknown as HCIB.

Realistically, I think the chances of this happening are pretty close to zero at WSU or any where else for that matter. But a guy can dream can't he?

BTW, Dan Monson's head coaching record post Gonzaga -- 118-106 (44-68 in Big 10 play) at Minnesota and 211-217 at Long Beach State. OTOH he has made a nice living so you can't feel too sorry for him.
                          Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 28, 2021, 10:34 PM.

Comment

Freddie Franchise tweeted:

@FredVanVleet·17h

Congratulations @Coach_IBrown well deserved - so happy for this dude. Real as they come!

Rashard Kelly who seemingly wasn't totally sad to see 3G go tweeted the following plus retweeted tweets by Taylor Eldgridge and Black Coaches United:

Rashard Kelly
                            @WizKellyy·9h

I’m so excited for the culture Wichita state turning too. A true player first program , where they can be taught accountability but also come out better then when they went in .

Comment

While I not predicting it or betting on it maybe HCIB will be our unknown, low-key diamond in the rough like Mark Few at Gonzaga.

Few was a 10-year assistant at Gonzaga and when Dan Monson, who also had about 10 years of experience as an assistant coach mostly with Gonzaga, left to take the MInnesota job (what a bad career move that was) he moved over a chair to take over the head coaching duties. Arguably less experienced and as equally unknown as HCIB.

Realistically, I think the chances of this happening are pretty close to zero at WSU or any where else for that matter. But a guy can dream can't he?

BTW, Dan Monson's head coaching record post Gonzaga -- 118-106 (44-68 in Big 10 play) at Minnesota and 211-217 at Long Beach State. OTOH he has made a nice living so you can't feel too sorry for him.
                              I hope IB wins here like Mark Few and this is a legitimate comparison. It may be and then his likeness will be in the Shocker HOF and hang in the rafters at CKA.. Mark Few is a great coach who has made Gonzaga into a National Power. It was not done for him, and while it was a good low major job when Few took over, it was not close to a Top 40 job at that time.

Dan Monson, however, was only at Gonzaga for two years. He had a great two years with a 74 percent winning record, 1 WCAC Championship, 52 wins, and one NCAA Elite 8. His first year, he went to the NIT with an early 2nd Round Exit.

Comment

Originally posted by sck41903 View Post
                                This seems a little quick on the trigger for a top 40 program to jump on board with a lifetime Asst. Coach even though he has handled adversity and won games. I would still like to know why if he is so well qualified has no one ever come at him hard to be their Head Coach in 19 years especially when GM assistants seemed to be popular? I do not know anything about his life so maybe someone can enlighten me as to wife, family, etc. to be good reps. for the Shockers such as community activities, assist with fundraising

Having said this, as a Shocker fan since 1965, I am happy for Coach Brown and wish him a life time of success right here at WSU. Appears the players respond to him and genuinely like him which is probably a good thing in todays world.
                                Your last sentence is key here... the world and people have changed; HCIB might have the 'perfect' demeanor for todays young athlete. Unfortunately (some would say fortunately), the 'tough love' approach doesn't always resonate like it did 10, 20, 30+ years ago.
                                "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                                X