Isaac Brown: Head Coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShauXTyme View Post

I would just like to offer, and encourage, anyone else who feels this way to kindly leave. Don’t make the next 2-3 years a bunch of “I told you so” or “if Marshall was still coach” crap. If you don’t like the decision, keep it to yourself.
    This is a forum. I have no problem with people expressing their opinions; no matter how popular/unpopular they are.

This hire could go gangbusters and be the best thing ever. However, it could also be a disaster and burn out in flames.

I think it’s most likely to land in the middle of those two, but I see the merit in the beliefs of the people in both of the two camps.
    The Assman

Comment

Originally posted by ShauXTyme View Post

I would just like to offer, and encourage, anyone else who feels this way to kindly leave. Don’t make the next 2-3 years a bunch of “I told you so” or “if Marshall was still coach” crap. If you don’t like the decision, keep it to yourself.
      Don't worry, the next 5 minute section of bad basketball will have the "we should have hired Jans" comments coming out of the woodwork.

Comment

Originally posted by Shock Top View Post

This is a forum. I have no problem with people expressing their opinions; no matter how popular/unpopular they are.

This hire could go gangbusters and be the best thing ever. However, it could also be a disaster and burn out in flames.

I think it’s most likely to land in the middle of those two, but I see the merit in the beliefs of the people in both of the two camps.
        That exact statement could have been said about every single potential hire we could have made.

Comment

Taylor Eldridge
          @tayloreldridge
          ·
          1h
          Gregg Marshall was making $3.5M annually before resignation. As per separation agreement, WSU is paying GM $7.75M over the next 6 years ($1.29M annually). IB will be in the neighborhood of $1.15M-$1.2M annually for next 5 years. That's around $2.5M combined annually for WSU.

Comment

Congratulations permanent head coach Isaac Brown. This team has ovérachieved this year so far and he is on track for being named league coach of the year. If that happens, there is no way they could have denied him this job and not look like complete morons running the show. I wish him much success and for those of you who didn't like the hire, I'm not sure what your so upset about. The team will have a solid core returning next year and if for whatever reason it doesn't pan out in about three years, there is probably not that big a buyout at that point to move on. Like the way he connects with the players and offers support beyond their life on the court as Shockers !!

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

That exact statement could have been said about every single potential hire we could have made.
              Right. That’s partly my point.

People can feel however they want to about anyone they hired and they would have expressed those opinions, regardless of who it was.
              The Assman

Comment

I love the video. His message is that of Servant Leadership. Immediately recognizes the players for his success and then says something that is profound: "it's not about wins and losses, it's about you guys being good people...we want to make sure you reach your dreams and goals, we are going to be here for you 10, 20, 30 years down the line."

Some might roll their eyes and say he's there to win games, and ultimately I agree. But that mindset builds a positive culture, you will run through a brick wall for someone like that. It's also easier to build connections with recruits and recruits' parents if his message is "Yeah, I want Johnny to be a good basketball player, but I really want him to be a good man, and successful after basketball." It's easy to intrust handing your child over to him when that is his mindset.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmyShockerFan View Post
                  I love the video. His message is that of Servant Leadership. Immediately recognizes the players for his success and then says something that is profound: "it's not about wins and losses, it's about you guys being good people...we want to make sure you reach your dreams and goals, we are going to be here for you 10, 20, 30 years down the line."

Some might roll their eyes and say he's there to win games, and ultimately I agree. But that mindset builds a positive culture, you will run through a brick wall for someone like that. It's also easier to build connections with recruits and recruits' parents if his message is "Yeah, I want Johnny to be a good basketball player, but I really want him to be a good man, and successful after basketball." It's easy to intrust handing your child over to him when that is his mindset.
                  I feel good about returning the vast majority of our team next year .. including maybe Gilbert even ... seeing the way Gilbert reacted.

Comment

Originally posted by SkoShox View Post
                    Great day to be a Shocker!
                    Hopefully, that is the way we feel in a week or two.

Comment

Congratulations to Coach IB. He earned it in the tradition of the hard workers in Wichita. No silver spoon here. So happy for the players and my Alma Mater. A good day for Wichita and Wichita State. Now there is still work to be done. Go Shocks.

Comment

I’m so happy for the team and IB. That video was just awesome.

Comment

For those who don't like IB because he's not mean enough, Baker and VanVleet are probably the guys who responded best to Marshall's style. They both endorsed IB being promoted. That told me a lot.

There have been some "at least they're happy" comments this year that were meant in a derogatory way. They look REALLY happy in that video clip, and they're winning. Maybe it's not necessary to be unhappy in order to win games.

The way the players reacted, it's likely some important pieces of the team may have followed IB because he was going to get a HC job after what he did this year. That would have led to a major rebuild two years in a row. Boatright talked to all the players. He knew the situation from the players perspective.

The program got what it wanted - contend for the conference title. The players got what they wanted. This looks like a win/win for everybody but a few fans who seem to want anybody but IB for some unknown reason.
                          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

He earned it. That said if it ends up a mistake then the price is right to make a correction. He's got some work to do on the recruiting trail.

Comment

How often is anyone completely and 100% confident they have mad the correct decision on important matters where the range of opinions of interested parties is all over the map. ADDB has much more input available to him than most, if not all, of the rest of us (including the state of the athletic department's finances) so it is hard to second guess this decision but not doubt that will happen, and perhaps should, if it doesn't work out. And I understand those who might not have faith in ADDB's judgement. After all this is the guy who replaced Shocker legend Gene Stephenson with Todd Butler. I am hoping he learned his lesson.

That said this is really feel good story and I think it is quite clear that HCIB has paid his dues. After 19 season working as an assistant in D-1 basketball he know doubt has seen pretty much everything and it's like the bus boy at a restaurant who gradually works his way up to be manaqer of the restaurant. They understand what everyone in the program is going through but they also will know when someone is not shooting strainght with him.

He was put in a very challenging position at the beginning of this season and I don't know how he could have handled things any better.

I don't buy into the nice guys finish last philosophy (although sometimes they do). Only time will tell for sure whether this was a good decision. But regardless of whether it works out or not I am very happy to see HCIB get this opportunity as he as absolutely earned his shot. It may or may not work out well who knows. I really hope it does though because there is no doubt Coach Brown is a first class gentleman.

I suspect ADDB's meetings with the players probably pushed him over the top making this decision and making this decision at this time. But I clearly don't know that for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post
                                Coach Brown earned this job plain and simple. I hope he continues to "earn" this job every day for the next five years (and more). Could not be happier for the guy.

I'm still surprised WSU didn't wait until the end of the year to make this decision.

Go Shocks!
                                Maybe they didn't want to wait because a recruit was thinking about committing, but didn't want to because of the uncertainty of the coaching situation.

Comment

Working...
                                X