Coaching search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

You can't give a coach a 2-3 year contract ... It's 5 year minimum ... otherwise, yet again, he can't even say he will be under contract for the length of the time the recruits will be in school. The key is the buyout. You could give him a 50 year contract as long as the buyouts in the early years is manageable. (obviously not advocating for a 50 year .. just making a statement). I'd assume IB realizes if he gets the job he's getting it on potential and would be agreeable to a manageable buyout in exchange for a longer contract.
    Seems like there are a lot of 3 year contracts to first time head coaches. But maybe that is my imagination.

But yeah, buyout is the big key
    "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Originally posted by shock-it-to-me View Post
      Call
      Off
      The
      Mother
      F ing
      Search!!!

in the immortal words of Survivor, “the search is over, you were with me all the while”
      What if WSU loses the next 5 games? Season is not over.

If this team continues to work hard and get better and takes care of business it all works itself out in the end. And with this year not counting against eligibility there is less time pressure in recruiting. It is what WSU does in the post-season that will help HCIB in recruiting.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
        The Sampson quote about us having “fake toughness” was from a season or two ago.

And he wasn’t wrong, btw.
        Yes, KS was not a fan of Triple G.

Comment

• Not quite yet...but March 15th might wind up being a good day for Coach Isaac Brown and Wichita St.
          FINAL FOURS:
          1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
          1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
          Number of Times Ranked: 157
          Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
          Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
          Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
          #3 - Dec. 2017
          #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
          #2 ~ March 2014
          Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Comment

• So Parrish has Houston dropping 10x spots after losing to WSU? That seems excessive. How many spots did UH drop after losing to ECU?

Comment

• Seems like a lot to me as well. What they did with KU is drop them about three spots and put the other team in the top 25. I think Houston and Wichita State should get the same treatment. To drop Houston 10 places after a loss at Wichita State shows a real disrespect to the conference and Wichita State basketball.

Comment

• Can IHCIB golf and bullshit and gladhand with Koch and Devlin, those guys?

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                    Can IHCIB golf and bullshit and gladhand with Koch and Devlin, those guys?
                    Yes. Very well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

I'm not saying this because I'm against IB. But there is merit to what Shock is saying. Kevin Ollie wasn't the right guy, and now they have a great coach at UCONN.

Kevin Ollie was a Calhoun protege. He played 10 years in the NBA. He also was involved with the Calhoun era of success as an Asst. Coach, and then won a Natty his first year which was the year, the Shox got ripped off in Honolulu in 2012 (I think). He was Can't Miss coach with the fans and media. He recruited Alterique (McDonalds AA), and had other good recruits. After his National Championship in one year, and with his own recruits, things went in the ditch quickly.
                      Wait.... Dan Hurley, GREAT COACH???
                      what metric are you using??? He didn’t win in THIS league

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

If we get to the NCAA tourney there won't be anything to argue about. If we get to the NCAA tourney, IB will be in the discussion for NCOY.

Comment

• Originally posted by molly jabali View Post
                          Wait.... Dan Hurley, GREAT COACH???
                          what metric are you using??? He didn’t win in THIS league
                          He won at Rhode Island. He is having a really nice year, first year in the Big East and they are 4th right now. A great coach is a little far maybe, but he is an upcoming, young coach who will be successful at UCONN. He comes from a coaching background. Last year was his first year and UCONN was middle of the pack, but Connecticut will be really good going forward.

Your rankings of coaches hasn’t always been stellar but I’ve never called you out.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

What if WSU loses the next 5 games? Season is not over.

If this team continues to work hard and get better and takes care of business it all works itself out in the end. And with this year not counting against eligibility there is less time pressure in recruiting. It is what WSU does in the post-season that will help HCIB in recruiting.
                            After what you saw last night, how likely do you think the possibility is that we lose our last five games? Seriously!

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

The hottest well-established mid-major coach in the nation is Porter Moser. Has a F4, consistently at the top of his conference (a better conference than Jans has ever coached in). Or maybe a P5 coach with a recent Elite 8 becomes available. Bruce Weber might be looking this spring.
                              Bruce Weber as a basketball coach is almost as bad as Todd Butler as a baseball coach. The only reason K-State got as far as they did in the tournament a couple years ago is because UMBC upset Virginia. Had Virginia won they likely would have destroyed the Cats. He's a mediocre coach at best.

Now, Porter Moser I would take in a heartbeat. Easily over Jans, Beilein, or Matta.

Comment

• In an earlier post I expressed concern that if coach Brown finishes strong, and the players seem to really like and respect him, going thru yet another coaching change could cause yet another round of defections. Now we have beaten Houston and are in first place. At this point , if he gets us into the big dance, I’m all in and believe it would be foolish to let him go. On the other hand , if he stumbles badly, there is cause to look around. I hope he is our coach next year, but all the facts aren’t in....... but I do think Sterling Chapman made a mistake..

Comment

Working...
                                X