Coaching search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

So KU should fire Bill Self for not making the second weekend two years in a row?

Gonzaga didn’t make it out of the first weekend five years in a row, why is Mark Few still there accepting a paycheck.

There is nothing guaranteed in the NCAA tourney. Hell, the best WSU team maybe of all time didn’t get out of the first weekend.
    I'd be careful about comparing results, recruiting and rankings. Now self's cheating so I'll give you that. Few is on top of the mountain right now and makes much less, gets 4/5 stars, doesn't miss the tournament and consistently advances in the tournament. There is no comparison over the past 5 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post
      For 3.5M is the bar really set at just making the tournament? When was the last time we played into the 2nd weekend?
      Nobody said the bar was set at just making the tournament. Those are your words. But to answer your question about when was the last time the shocks made it to the second weekend, here are the facts.

2013 Second Weekend
      2014 Second Weekend
      2015 Second Weekend
      2016 Second Weekend
      2017 Second Weekend
      2018 Upset by Marshall in the first round
      2019 Went to the Final Four of the NIT with 2 seniors and a bunch of freshmen
      2020 Season cancel for the virus.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post

Nobody said the bar was set at just making the tournament. Those are your words. But to answer your question about when was the last time the shocks made it to the second weekend, here are the facts.

2013 Second Weekend
        2014 Second Weekend
        2015 Second Weekend
        2016 Second Weekend
        2017 Second Weekend
        2018 Upset by Marshall in the first round
        2019 Went to the Final Four of the NIT with 2 seniors and a bunch of freshmen
        2020 Season cancel for the virus.

Uh, wut? In 2016 and 2017 we did not make it to the second weekend. We lost to Miami in the Round of 32 in 2016 and to Kentucky in the Round of 32 in 2017. We have not made it to the second weekend since 2015.
        "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

I'd be careful about comparing results, recruiting and rankings. Now self's cheating so I'll give you that. Few is on top of the mountain right now and makes much less, gets 4/5 stars, doesn't miss the tournament and consistently advances in the tournament. There is no comparison over the past 5 years.
          Few is on top right now but Gonzaga didn’t make it out of the first weekend 5 years in a row. I’m not comparing the two teams per se, just making the point that even teams we consider great right now had periods of “disappointing” results in the past. If their administration had said, “well we’re paying you too much for these results, goodbye.” Gonzaga likely wouldn’t be where they are now.

Comment

Few is on top right now but Gonzaga didn’t make it out of the first weekend 5 years in a row. I’m not comparing the two teams per se, just making the point that even teams we consider great right now had periods of “disappointing” results in the past. If their administration had said, “well we’re paying you too much for these results, goodbye.” Gonzaga likely wouldn’t be where they are now.
            Few literally makes 51% of GM's paycheck. So I would not guess Gonzaga would ever say that to their coach.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

Uh, wut? In 2016 and 2017 we did not make it to the second weekend. We lost to Miami in the Round of 32 in 2016 and to Kentucky in the Round of 32 in 2017. We have not made it to the second weekend since 2015.
              Yea I think he's confusing second game with second weekend

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Yea I think he's confusing second game with second weekend
                Yea my bad. Second round is different than second weekend. But to me it makes little difference. Before Marshall was our coach WSU was not in many NCAA tournaments. (None in the decade of losing in the nineties, and 1 for Mark Turgeon in 4 or 5 years) And now some want to complain about the last 3 years as though the program is in decline. It's not. It's in transition.

Comment

Few literally makes 51% of GM's paycheck. So I would not guess Gonzaga would ever say that to their coach.
                  I guess I just don’t know how to calculate the acceptable salary to success ratio.

Comment

Total disclosure of compensation of private colleges or universities doesn't happen. I am sure he actually makes way more than 51% of GM.

Comment

It’s just a game, they should be having fun and getting an education.

Fire that mother ****er, he missed the NCAA one year.
                      Yes it's just a game and yes the kids should be focussed primarily on school, and some are. But fact is we as fans acknowledge and are proud when our teams players make acedemic honor roll or get student Athele of the year, It is mild acknowledgement when compared to a championship. I think the same can be said for players as well.
                      Conversely to your "Fire him" statements, I hate loosing him and most on this site will too. It has the ability to impact every sport at WSU unless the new coach can maintain the fan enthusiasm that is WSU basketball.

Comment

• Originally posted by ABC View Post

Total disclosure of compensation of private colleges or universities doesn't happen. I am sure he actually makes way more than 51% of GM.
                        This site kind of gives you an idea of the top salaries - https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/sal...ketball/coach/ - with bonuses Few made over 3 million last year. The comments that come up when you click on some of the salaries, such as Few, are pretty interesting.
                        Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post
                          And now some want to complain about the last 3 years as though the program is in decline. It's not. It's in TRANSFER.
                          fixed

Comment

• Comment

• Matt Norlander thinks that the next coach (if it's not Beilen) would be coming in at 1.5 mil or so. Suggested Jacobson (puke) or McMahan at Murray State who is an up and comer

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                                Matt Norlander thinks that the next coach (if it's not Beilen) would be coming in at 1.5 mil or so. Suggested Jacobson (puke) or McMahan at Murray State who is an up and comer
                                IF... If, Marshall is gone, I take great entertainment in the fact that the media considers UNI's coach to be a viable replacement candidate. Bet that's a huge blow to the ego of some UNI fans who fashion their program to be on the same level as WSU.

As for Ben Flopper as the next coach... ugh... please no.

Comment

Working...
                                X