No announcement yet.

Coaching search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kevin Ollie had a grand total of 2 years as an assistant coach before he became the head coach at UConn. Comparing Ollie to Brown is ludicrous. Ollie might be available. He should be coming off his 3-year NCAA "show cause" penalty soon. Seems like two years wasn't enough time for him to learn about coaching, recruiting, or NCAA rules.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post
      I still say IB can’t be the first choice. Has everyone forgotten Kevin Ollie? That man won a national championship for crying out loud. These are Marshall’s recruits, plain and simple. They were recruited under Marshall’s direction. Marshall offered them the scholarship. All the returners came back to play for Marshall.

IB has done a good job not wrecking the Ferrari. Has he done a good job driving it?
      I will take a national championship from Brown. Seems like a win!
      Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

The hottest well-established mid-major coach in the nation is Porter Moser. Has a F4, consistently at the top of his conference (a better conference than Jans has ever coached in). Or maybe a P5 coach with a recent Elite 8 becomes available. Bruce Weber might be looking this spring.

Wake Forest is in 13th place in their league with an overall record of 6-10, but WSU isn't likely to get Forbes (or any other lower-tier P5 coach) to come here.

It's easy to say Brown is a "fallback" - until you flesh that out with the obvious missing part. A "fallback" from what? Tubby Smith?

There's always Bob Richey, who was an assistant at Furman under Niko Medved. Richey became the head coach at Furman when Medved took the job at Drake in 2017, where he didn't last 4 years. A successful coach at Furman can make an upward move to Drake. Let that sink in for just a moment. Then add in that he couldn't succeed in the MVC and ended up at Colorado State.

With an interim University President and an athletic director whose days may be numbered, there may be fewer interested candidates than you might expect.
        Your narrative on Medved is wildly inaccurate. He got Drake to the CIT in Year 1 and then (obviously) took an upgrade at a school he spent a few years as an assistant at and seems to be doing just fine there.

Jans
        Beilein
        Matta

Easy 3 names that make Isaac Brown a fallback option and keeps us from making Isaac Brown permanent HC this afternoon like so many are clamoring for. Regardless of the President and AD situation, I think you’ll actually be surprised by some of the people that throw their name in the ring once the season is over.

Comment

• How is the Mafioso enjoying life in New Rochelle?
          The Assman

Comment

• What do these schools have in common?

Arizona Christian (NAIA)
            Benedictine University of Mesa, Arizona (NAIA)
            West New Mexico (D2)
            California Baptist
            Seattle

That is the complete list of wins for Chris Jans this year. I was high on Jans until this year.
            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
              What do these schools have in common?

Arizona Christian (NAIA)
              Benedictine University of Mesa, Arizona (NAIA)
              West New Mexico (D2)
              California Baptist
              Seattle

That is the complete list of wins for Chris Jans this year. I was high on Jans until this year.
              And he missed out on wins against...? C-SUN? That’s it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post

Too many if's, if your a valued recruit. (Say 3* and above).
                Completely agree on the success probability....

Comment

• Admittedly I haven't read through this entire thread, so maybe my questions have already been asked and answered. If so, I apologize. With all the clamoring to offer IHCIB a contract right now, what is to be gained by doing so at this time? Also, what is lost if we wait till the end of the season to offer a contract?

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post

It’s not sarcasm but I do think it’s going over your head. Kevin Ollie looked like a star when he took over for Calhoun. He is exhibit A of unproven assistants becoming head coaches.

Again, I’m not saying IB isn’t on the list or even high on the list. I’m just saying it’s not automatic and WSU needs to be careful.
                    To be fair, Mark Few was an assistant at Gonzaga who took over for Dan Monson.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

To be fair, Mark Few was an assistant at Gonzaga who took over for Dan Monson.
                      and VASTLY surpassed him....

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker_Power View Post
                        Admittedly I haven't read through this entire thread, so maybe my questions have already been asked and answered. If so, I apologize. With all the clamoring to offer IHCIB a contract right now, what is to be gained by doing so at this time? Also, what is lost if we wait till the end of the season to offer a contract?
                        I agree but I also think you could start contract negotiations to see what the price tag will be. Then compare to feelers of other candidates. It's a best purchase game, but where does IB stand as a HC? Other candidates already have their estimated prices established at their last or current schools.

Comment

• I like Steve Forbes I think he would be a home run, and my first choice. He's a mid-west guy, and knows Wichita and Kansas with his juco and WSU coaching connections. However, there's a lot of ifs with his hiring. The sticky points would be:

1)whether he sees Wake Forest as a difficult place to be and no more than a Top 10 Program in a 15 Team Conference, and
                          2)whether our donors see him as worth a comparable 2 Million dollar salary or more.

These two factors would have to be answered beforehand. I'm sure the research on this would be done in secrecy, and we would never find out about it unless it happened. Just my 5 cents worth.

Right now, I'd imagine it's IB's to lose depending on how we finish out the year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker_Power View Post
                            Admittedly I haven't read through this entire thread, so maybe my questions have already been asked and answered. If so, I apologize. With all the clamoring to offer IHCIB a contract right now, what is to be gained by doing so at this time? Also, what is lost if we wait till the end of the season to offer a contract?
                            I am on the fence with how I feel.

However, recruiting is biggest obstacle with him not having a contract. Yes they are out recruiting but it's a hard sell when you can't say if you will be around when they get on campus.

Otherwise I don't see anything one way or another.

I am close to saying, screw it give the man a 2-3 year contract with a low buyout and let's go. He will probably at least be good that long since we won't have a TON of turnover in that time. Then we can see how he recruits, what kind of staff he can put together (assuming a couple assistants decide to move on)...etc.

For the short term it would probably be fine. But you don't know what the longterm will be until you give him a shot. That is the risk I didn't want to take a couple months ago. I wanted a more proven track record. The more he wins the harder it gets to not at least give him a shot.

Unless there is an absolute home run, no brainer hire....Brown probably deserves a short contract if things continue as they are.

I would still wait to offer until we at least see how we finish in conference.
                            "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan View Post

I am on the fence with how I feel.

However, recruiting is biggest obstacle with him not having a contract. Yes they are out recruiting but it's a hard sell when you can't say if you will be around when they get on campus.

Otherwise I don't see anything one way or another.

I am close to saying, screw it give the man a 2-3 year contract with a low buyout and let's go. He will probably at least be good that long since we won't have a TON of turnover in that time. Then we can see how he recruits, what kind of staff he can put together (assuming a couple assistants decide to move on)...etc.

For the short term it would probably be fine. But you don't know what the longterm will be until you give him a shot. That is the risk I didn't want to take a couple months ago. I wanted a more proven track record. The more he wins the harder it gets to not at least give him a shot.

Unless there is an absolute home run, no brainer hire....Brown probably deserves a short contract if things continue as they are.

I would still wait to offer until we at least see how we finish in conference.
                              You can't give a coach a 2-3 year contract ... It's 5 year minimum ... otherwise, yet again, he can't even say he will be under contract for the length of the time the recruits will be in school. The key is the buyout. You could give him a 50 year contract as long as the buyouts in the early years is manageable. (obviously not advocating for a 50 year .. just making a statement). I'd assume IB realizes if he gets the job he's getting it on potential and would be agreeable to a manageable buyout in exchange for a longer contract.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                                I like Steve Forbes I think he would be a home run, and my first choice. He's a mid-west guy, and knows Wichita and Kansas with his juco and WSU coaching connections. However, there's a lot of ifs with his hiring. The sticky points would be:

1)whether he sees Wake Forest as a difficult place to be and no more than a Top 10 Program in a 15 Team Conference, and
                                2)whether our donors see him as worth a comparable 2 Million dollar salary or more.

These two factors would have to be answered beforehand. I'm sure the research on this would be done in secrecy, and we would never find out about it unless it happened. Just my 5 cents worth.

Right now, I'd imagine it's IB's to lose depending on how we finish out the year.
                                According to my info, Forbes would have loved WSU, but now that he’s at Wake, he will stay at Wake.
                                Livin the dream

Comment

Working...
                                X