Coaching search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

He will get low Div. 1 offers. Not high Div. 1 offers. Can he really lead a high major program? The jury will still be out. He’s only doing a portion of the job this year and I’m not sold on him doing a portion of a High Major basketball program yet. You’re too easy.
    What portion of the job is he not doing?

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

It is not going to get serious until this season is over. As far as a stepping stone - that will always be the risk Though I think being in American has reduced that some than being in the MVC, but it will always be there, especially if the coach is having success.

I think I heard on the coaches show that there is very little recruiting really going on. I think they believe that with this year not counting against eligibility they are putting their focus on the present group of players. Probably makes sense because like you pointed out, who would really consider WSU without knowing who the long term coach.

The bigger problem I see is WSU needs a new president, who will likely hire a new AD and the new AD will want to hire his own BB coach. If you believe Boatright is going to survive then I guess you don't need a new President.
      I sure as hell hope we don't wait until the season is over before getting serious about coaching search. I'd be disappointed if feelers weren't put out towards Jans prior to the conclusion of the season.

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post

I sure as hell hope we don't wait until the season is over before getting serious about coaching search. I'd be disappointed if feelers weren't put out towards Jans prior to the conclusion of the season.
        Jan is having a tough time getting games in this year, only 3 so far. His last game against Santa Clara was cancelled for a second time on Thursday. I sure he is tired of dealing with the left coast and all the covid restrictions.

Hey Coach Jans, how about scheduling a makeup game in Wichita? Surely we could fit a game in somewhere.

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post

What portion of the job is he not doing?
          None of us are close enough to the program to know for sure. I know that after Randy Smithson who was a disaster, Turgeon and Marshall both had head coaching experience. After Ralph Miller, Gary Thompson, Eddie Fogles, and Mike Cohen were the only Head Coaches we’ve had who had zero experience as Head Coaches. I prefer Head Coaching experience if possible.

Comment

None of us are close enough to the program to know for sure. I know that after Randy Smithson who was a disaster, Turgeon and Marshall both had head coaching experience. After Ralph Miller, Gary Thompson, Eddie Fogles, and Mike Cohen were the only Head Coaches we’ve had who had zero experience as Head Coaches. I prefer Head Coaching experience if possible.
            Understand what you are saying but Miller got WSU into the national picture and an Elite 8, Thompson a Final Four, Fogler went to two NCAAs and one NIT in three years and Cohen was a nice guy.

Comment

• Originally posted by ABC View Post

Understand what you are saying but Miller got WSU into the national picture and an Elite 8, Thompson a Final Four, Fogler went to two NCAAs and one NIT in three years and Cohen was a nice guy.
              Well, Ralph was destined to be a great coach. Gary Thompson did a F 4 and one more year (2nd place) with Ralph’s players. Our 4 best coaches were GM, RM, GS, and MTurgeon. Scott Thompson had experience and he ranks amongst our worst coaches, so hiring a head coach, it isn’t fool proof but imo it’s still the way to go.

One additional question; Was Fogles a really successful coach? Did he go to the NCAA Tournament On his or Smithson’s players? Praylow Twins, Grayer, the Lithuanian (can’t remember his name). The only Fogles player I remember on the top of my head was Guffrovich. Additionally, I’m not sure Fogles was highly successful at Vandy or South Carolina either after he left here.
              Last edited by Shockm; January 2, 2021, 03:01 PM. Reason: Additional question

Comment

Well, Ralph was destined to be a great coach. Gary Thompson did a F 4 and one more year (2nd place) with Ralph’s players. Our 4 best coaches were GM, RM, GS, and MTurgeon. Scott Thompson had experience and he ranks amongst our worst coaches, so hiring a head coach, it isn’t fool proof but imo it’s still the way to go.

One additional question; Was Fogles a really successful coach? Did he go to the NCAA Tournament On his or Smithson’s players? Praylow Twins, Grayer, the Lithuanian (can’t remember his name). The only Fogles player I remember on the top of my head was Guffrovich. Additionally, I’m not sure Fogles was highly successful at Vandy or South Carolina either after he left here.
                I believe Fogler's SC team became the first #2 seed to lose to a #15 seed. So there's that. :)

Comment

• Hmm. Needle moving in the right direction. Nice coaching thus far Mr. Isaac Brown. Nice coaching...
                  FINAL FOURS:
                  1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                  1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                  Number of Times Ranked: 157
                  Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                  Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                  Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                  #3 - Dec. 2017
                  #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                  #2 ~ March 2014
                  Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• I hope the administration has a VERY tough decision on HC. Would indicate things ended very well this season.

Comment

This comes up occasionally, but anyone that doesn't think Eddie was a really good head coach doesn't understand the game. It certainly was a different time and place when he took the reigns in the mid 80s. And yes, Eddie cut his teeth here and was learning on the job how to be a head coach. And he had an awful lot of Carolina blue blood coursing through his veins. He needed some time at the helm before he got here for sure. And the expectations for community leadership and fund raising were nothing compared to today. Eddie also never embraced the culture here, and that did not endear him to the fan base (not that he particularly cared). But if he had been a coach elsewhere first, he would have been even better here. Still, 3 seasons, autobid, at large, NIT. Not bad. Now, leaving behind Cohen? Muy mal.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

This comes up occasionally, but anyone that doesn't think Eddie was a really good head coach doesn't understand the game. It certainly was a different time and place when he took the reigns in the mid 80s. And yes, Eddie cut his teeth here and was learning on the job how to be a head coach. And he had an awful lot of Carolina blue blood coursing through his veins. He needed some time at the helm before he got here for sure. And the expectations for community leadership and fund raising were nothing compared to today. Eddie also never embraced the culture here, and that did not endear him to the fan base (not that he particularly cared). But if he had been a coach elsewhere first, he would have been even better here. Still, 3 seasons, autobid, at large, NIT. Not bad. Now, leaving behind Cohen?
                        That’s fair. Eddie certainly did some good things. Even during the time he cut his teeth. I think that game strategy was a success of his. The question is whether this job is a high major job and whether we want to have a coach cut his teeth on the job. We will know more by the end of the year. One strength of Greggs was also perhaps, sometimes a weakness. He was relentless and wouldn’t settle for anything less than great. I think that was the biggest character trait that the biggest donors in town saw in him, and therefore, they were his biggest supporters. This hire could “make the program” or set it back to the way it used to be and perhaps the lack of success we used to have.

Comment

• Fogles (sic) won a SEC regular season championship at Vanderbilt and South Carolina. He didn't have a of NCAA success, One Sweet 16,

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

This comes up occasionally, but anyone that doesn't think Eddie was a really good head coach doesn't understand the game. It certainly was a different time and place when he took the reigns in the mid 80s. And yes, Eddie cut his teeth here and was learning on the job how to be a head coach. And he had an awful lot of Carolina blue blood coursing through his veins. He needed some time at the helm before he got here for sure. And the expectations for community leadership and fund raising were nothing compared to today. Eddie also never embraced the culture here, and that did not endear him to the fan base (not that he particularly cared). But if he had been a coach elsewhere first, he would have been even better here. Still, 3 seasons, autobid, at large, NIT. Not bad. Now, leaving behind Cohen? Muy mal.
                            My problem with Fast Eddie was not his coaching abilities, particularly being his first head gig. He came into a program that had a full cupboard of players and that can hid some shortcomings in that area. While he did bring in a few good to very good players, most notable being John Cooper, he inherited seniors Santos, Cundiff, and Henry Carr and sophomores the Praylow twins, Grayer, and Radunovich, and senior Lew Hill who didn't play until Folger's 2nd of 3 seasons. When Folger left, 4 of these players were still in his top 6 and I don't believe any other players on the roster were even close to those 6. He knew it and got out of town while the gettin' was good not to mention his "parting gift". May be to early for this statement, but I bet that iHCIB would have done as much or more with those same WSU players coaching-wise.

I still say that Radunovich would have been an NBA player had Gene coached his career. Yes, Folger seem like a fish out of water in Wichita and was able to land another player stocked, cushy job and Vandy, then promptly left them after 4 years.

He did build South Carolina up, but I would not say he was very successful there. He had 3 winning seasons out of 8 and only 2 conference winning seasons (his NCAA Dance years where he was knocked out in the 1st round both times). His conference record his last 3 years was 14-34 and over the 8 years, was 57-71.

Comment

• We can get onto one another without it becoming personal,” Dennis said. “This group really just wants to win, that’s the main goal. If somebody messes up, you take what they say, take the message and move on. We all just want to win at the end of the day.”,

Very telling quite by Dex. Not looking for the next coach to be everyone's best friend, but respect is a two way street.

Comment

• Comment

Working...
                                X